On3 turbo for stock 5.0 fox

excell

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, question: Cometic MLS gaskets or FelPro 9333? Assuming if the block doesn't explode, I'd like to run some boost next year.

My philosophy has always been to treat head gaskets like a fuse. You want it to blow before other, more expensive things. Assuming the tune is dialed in, it should not pop.

My philosophy has always been to treat head gaskets like a fuse. You want it to blow before other, more expensive things. Assuming the tune is dialed in, it should not pop.

Good insight. Thank you. Car will def be tuned -- and considering the investment I think I'd rather have the gaskets blow vs. melting a head...

Curious... if you are going N/A have you thought.. As Joe mentioned earlier about putting a small shot on it? You can pick up some simple weekend install kits on the cheap and now that the heads/breathing is handled should give a nice pick up if you occasionally "need" it

Curious... if you are going N/A have you thought.. As Joe mentioned earlier about putting a small shot on it? You can pick up some simple weekend install kits on the cheap and now that the heads/breathing is handled should give a nice pick up if you occasionally "need" it

I honestly don't need that style of additional horsepower. If I was out highway rolling a lot, or at the track, would def be a good option. I'm just putting around town mostly, and with the fucking hills here "always on" performance is what I'm looking for. This is more for my ego benefit, and a reason to wrench. :D

Totally understand, looks like you've planned out a pretty reasonable path for yourself. Now just don't post about it til it's done or you'll have all of us trying to change your build with SUGGESTIONS :)

Guess I have to do a build thread, huh.

...and actually, the more I think about the cam, as much as I love the idea of the F303, the hills around here are brutal. I'm not keen on lowering the quality of off-idle drivability for a pure street car. Seems like folks make block-splitting power on the stock cam anyway. Maybe when I blow the block up...

It will come apart much quicker with that cam, simply because you are raising the powerband substantially. The 5.0 isn’t the best balanced engine out there and spinning it up high makes it come apart much quicker. Keep it about or under 5500 rpm or so it will live for a decent time.

It will come apart much quicker with that cam, simply because you are raising the powerband substantially. The 5.0 isn’t the best balanced engine out there and spinning it up high makes it come apart much quicker. Keep it about or under 5500 rpm or so it will live for a decent time.

Cool. I hear you -- I'm not much of a hooner anymore. :)

Car is out of the cover and up on jack stands. Time to get busy.

Advice from the guy who can't take his own advice and is now building um... 3 cars.. at the same time :(

Make a plan, get it set, and build it to plan. As soon as you start changing this and that mid build time tables and costs go out the damn window. Ask me how I know :)

Advice from the guy who can't take his own advice and is now building um... 3 cars.. at the same time :(

Make a plan, get it set, and build it to plan. As soon as you start changing this and that mid build time tables and costs go out the damn window. Ask me how I know :)

Just picked up the last of the parts for it. Went with Fel Pro 1133 MLS gaskets, and because I can't leave well enough alone I bought a new distributor as well. Might as well since I'm in there.

The configuration now CLOSED. haha

Good for you man, sounds like a great path to a fun street machine. Make sure to document as you go, other peoples headaches are always fun to watch ;)

Yea I'll do a build thread. Why not. First thing I noticed last night, whoever did the BBK H pipe welded the stock manifold bolts to the flange. That'll be fun to pop. :lol: