Anyone Been To Riviera Maya, Mexico?

Wease

I'm looking at booking an all inclusive vacation for my family (me, the wife, and my kids who are 7 and 8) at one of the resorts in the Riviera Maya area of the Mexican Caribbean. I'm looking at places way south of Playa del Carmen, near Akumal Beach.

Has anyone been to this area before? I went to Cozumel back in 2016, but it was just my wife and I. Never done the family thing before for a vacation like this. It's a pretty good deal, you get a week all inclusive, with the flights for the four of us, for about $3200. Reviews on the place are pretty good, about 4 stars.

I just wondered if anyone had anything to add, if they've been there and can suggest anything to do or not do, etc. :)

We have been going every year the last few years to the Iberostar Grand. It's the adults only part of the Iberostar complex, but in general, I can't recommend Iberostar and the general area around it enough.

AMA

We have been going every year the last few years to the Iberostar Grand. It's the adults only part of the Iberostar complex, but in general, I can't recommend Iberostar and the general area around it enough.

AMA

Is it worth it to take a trip up to Playa for the day? Have you done the Whale Shark swim?

We love Riviera Maya and have a spot we really enjoy our stay with. I think Andy on here also enjoys RM with his wife.

Playa is awesome, I highly recommend making a day of that place. Walk slow, check all the shops, stop multiple times for different food and cervezas. Just don't stray too far down some of the shady side streets. The further you are from the main, the less safe it gets.

If you're asked "you like to party?" say "no" unless you're prepared for some skitz stuff.

We love Riviera Maya and have a spot we really enjoy our stay with. I think Andy on here also enjoys RM with his wife.

Where do you go? I'm looking at staying at the Grand Sirenis.

Playa: Honestly, in my opinion, not really. The nightlife there is supposed to be the biggest draw, which with kids, is prolly off the table, right? The rest of it is essentially shopping and stuff (kinda a tourist trap) which in my opinion was not worth the time spent to get there. I'm of the mind I'd rather have just stayed at the resort and enjoyed the amenities there. It's why you're doing the resort, after all. There's also plenty of family friendly fun stuff to do much closer (zip lining, animal parks, etc etc.) nearby that may be a better fit with kids.

I personally did not do a shark swim, but one of our friend group did two years ago and they really had fun.

Food for thought: consider a tour of the Mayan ruins, Chichen Itza is the most popular but we visited Ek Balam as well and I liked it a LOT more. Ek Balam is smaller but you can still climb it. It's quite the experience. You can usually get a good long day tour to Chichen Itza that does Ek Balam and a cenote (giant earth pools) visit/swim.

Where do you go? I'm looking at staying at the Grand Sirenis.

We stay at the Ocean Maya which is adults only. When you're our age kids are a vacation buzzkill. The staff make that place incredibly fun. And it's well situated for excursions and other activities off-site.

I missed the kid piece from your OP. If they're well behaved, I'd still visit Playa. However, if you struggle with shutting down the barrage of sales people it will drain you like I think it did Chris above.

Been there a couple of times, and even had my honeymoon there at the Secrets resort. It's pretty wonderful, we had a good time. I would stick to the all inclusive resorts and arranged tours though.

I will second the mayan ruins tours, Chichen Itza and Ek Balam were amazing.

We visited Xcarats one time and I have a feeling your kids would really enjoy that. It's an eco swim tour in a bay closed off by net. You get to snorkel through a massive lagoon and mangrove forest and see crazy wildlife. And there's no unsafe marine life in the area. It has water obstacle courses, cliff jumping, games as well as breakfast and lunch buffet.

I feel like the old men above don't realize hiking a ruin probably doesn't cater to kids greatly :eyes:

We visited Xcarats one time and I have a feeling your kids would really enjoy that. It's an eco swim tour in a bay closed off by net. You get to snorkel through a massive lagoon and mangrove forest and see crazy wildlife. And there's no unsafe marine life in the area. It has water obstacle courses, cliff jumping, games as well as breakfast and lunch buffet.

I feel like the old men above don't realize hiking a ruin probably doesn't cater to kids greatly :eyes:

I have a 4 and 2 year old. Suck it. A 7 and 8 year old would have a blast at Ek Balam.

Good call on Xcarats. We heard it's awesome!

We went a couple years back for my brother-in-law's wedding. It was awesome! The resort was nice, all inclusive, and had just about everything you would need when there. I can't remember the resort name, but it was in Riviera Maya. The have all kinds of tourist places off the resort as well. As others have suggested, I would highly recommend checking out the Mayan ruins and the cenotes that are close by to there. If you want to hit up Cozumel, its a 45 min taxi ride to Cancun and a 30-40 min ferry ride to the island. We took a catamaran ride and did snorkeling when we were down there, It was a ton of fun.

The resort we stayed at had a swim up bar in the main pool, and would give out snacks all day long (pastries and such). We would grab a few of the churro rolls they had and take them to the beach. If you wade out about waste deep there would be all kinds of fish that would come up and eat right out of your hand. Water was super clear too even with a storm that came through when we were there.

I have a 4 and 2 year old. Suck it. A 7 and 8 year old would have a blast at Ek Balam.

Good call on Xcarats. We heard it's awesome!

Just handing out breakfast pooritos. :)

I'd like to have hiked a ruin as a kid! But I didn't have phones and tablets to stare into like some little turds prefer today.

We did Secrets in October (there's like 3 resorts) with 8 couples, went through Playa Del Carmen to go fishing with the guys, and had an absolute blast. All 16 people agreed we don't want to bring our kids when we come back....but we will be returning.

Now, the one day trip I wish I could do again for the rest of my life was Tulum, and Rio Secreto. That is an absolute wonder of the world and an amazing area that we'll probably stay at when we return. It's 'SPENSIVE, so no kids as it is more roughing-it to be cheap and walkabout day trips that would likely bore kids at that age.

The all-inclusive family-friendlies (like Sandals or XCaret) will be your best bet.

If this is your first time going, I would seriously contact a travel agent. We used Karen Hull and the rooms we had, extra services, trips etc were invaluable.

We go to Cancun / Rivera Maya like 3 time a year, in my opinion they have the vacation model down. It's cheap, great resorts, you don't travel a whole day to get there (though the further south you go from the airport the longer your bus ride will be) and we've never had a bad experience going with 4 star and above places.

We book mostly through Costco unless we decide to go to a resort that they don't work with. In many situations you get a better base room and possible room upgrades for booking through them, also all of the ground travel is through vetted partners in nice vehicles. Plus for most places you get a costco cash card that I use for gas for the daily drivers.

We're headed back in 4 weeks for our second trip this year, can't wait.

Another important note. We've found that the staff at the resorts in Mexico seem to genuinely enjoy and be appreciative of their jobs. Make friends with a bartender the first day, carry on a REAL conversation with them, throw them an extra $20 at the end of the day and you'll be taken care of for the whole time you're there.

Go to the Dominican or other islands in the Caribbean and the service level and general attitude of the staff in those areas is much different.

Good calls above from Andy^^^

- bring $50-100 in ones and tip like mad for food, drinks, towels, room service...you will get great attention.

- bring a Yeti-style insulated mug...great for keeping coffee hot or adult beverages chilly and servers don’t have to bother with glassware.

- If you have a Southwest credit card, that’s one of the easiest flights ever to Cancun. It’s like 1 hour more than Columbus-Ft.Myers. Crazy how quick that flight is.

- it’s been said before, but HAGGLE FPR EVERYTHING if you’ve got cash for gifts. Dollar bills talk. Ithe only gifts I did for our kids were these hand woven bracelets with their names on them. Guy spent an hour making both and his price was $25 per bracelet; I got both for $30. Kids loved them...I definitely got my moneys worth out of those bracelets. :)

Another important note. We've found that the staff at the resorts in Mexico seem to genuinely enjoy and be appreciative of their jobs. Make friends with a bartender the first day, carry on a REAL conversation with them, throw them an extra $20 at the end of the day and you'll be taken care of for the whole time you're there.

Go to the Dominican or other islands in the Caribbean and the service level and general attitude of the staff in those areas is much different.

I totally get this response. When we were in Roatan in 2014, the staff at our resort seemed really off all the time. We had some conversations with the security staff there and it was really eye opening on how long they work and how little they are paid. I want to say the security guy had to be down near the beach for 12-14 hours a day, making like $20 for the whole day, or something crazy like that. :(

Great responses in here everyone, thanks! I'm probably going to pull the trigger today. :)

Tulum and akumal are my favorite places to visit, we use airbnb. playa has nice resorts.

i swam with the whale sharks and it was epic!!!

lots of good information already posted, but if you want more ideas pm me.

I ended up buying the trip yesterday. It was actually through Groupon, so I bought $1980 in Giant Eagle gift cards (for the adult vouchers, the kids had to be purchased separately). So now I've got a crap ton of free gas coming. :lol: Plus I used my Amex Blue Cash Preferred to buy them, which gets me 6% back at grocery stores. Going through the gift card / Amex route ends up saving me around another $240 on the trip. :D

However I put part of that back into the trip, because I had to pay for luggage, my seat selections, and travel insurance. I just felt better buying the insurance with it being hurricane season. If I have to cancel for any reason, I can do it within 24 hours of the trip. And the week I wanted was sold out, so I had to move it to July 29th.

Thanks to all for their replies, I'll have to start a new thread after my vacation and let everyone know how it was! :cool:

I ended up buying the trip yesterday. It was actually through Groupon, so I bought $1980 in Giant Eagle gift cards (for the adult vouchers, the kids had to be purchased separately). So now I've got a crap ton of free gas coming. :lol: Plus I used my Amex Blue Cash Preferred to buy them, which gets me 6% back at grocery stores. Going through the gift card / Amex route ends up saving me around another $240 on the trip. :D

latest?cb=20160129222530

I've been blessed to go on a lot of fun trips in my adult life, and the most eye-opening have been the two cruises I've been on in the last 4 years, as well as Riviera Maya. You can't go wrong at that price for 4 people.

Have a great time!

You can't go wrong at that price for 4 people.

Have a great time!

That was really one of the driving parts of this trip. I could save a couple hundred dollars with the gift card thing, plus any similar trip (unless I went to the D.R., and I haven't heard as many good things about the D.R., compared to the Riviera Maya) was going to cost me a lot more money. Last year we went to Sanibel Island, FL and it cost me about $3400 for the week. I might be closer to $4K by the time it's all said and done, but this should be far more fun than Sanibel was... :nod: