Question for CR: What's the best 1980's cheap Japanese sports car?ts

Geeto67

I am a bit biased cause this was my first car.

Loved this thing 87 Nissan 300zx 2+2 non turbo t-top car.

Handled great was slow but fun to drive.

Miss this car

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=432&pictureid=9001

323 GTX

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/36129851+w660+h440+q80+re0+cr1/modp-1205-03%2B1988-mazda-323-gtx%2Bside-view.jpg

32cf43bb6bcc308750b4619fcefbd1b1.jpg

323 GT Sedan wasn't bad either

A totally unbiased recommendation from me has to be an RX-7. Find a well used one, rebuild the engine and never look back my friend. :)

Do not resist the call of the spinning Doritos!

Agreed...been following Gingium on YT and his N/A FC RX-7 build really shows the simplicity and tossability of a 13B rotary. Would be a fun platform to punch around the street and track.

Does Berto still have his V8 RX-7?

This just made me twitch. I can't imagine the pain involved in what you would get for this price in one of those cars.

People ask $3500 for these things in pretty poor condition. Based on what o've seen over the years, unless you have a special hookup, you are going to spend a minimum of $5k for anything "nice" and the sky is the limit from there.

If you find a decent 240z or 280z for $3500 let me know and I'll buy 2.

For $3500 you won't find much for an '80s RWD Japanese import except the less desirable. Prices have skyrocketed in the last 5-10 years.

With that budget I'd probably look at a RA40 Celica coupe or a TE72 Corolla. MK2 Celica Supra and MK3 Supra can be found in the price range as well. You may be able to find a decent SR5 AE86.

These are all right in my wheelhouse if you need any more information.

I'm completely biased, but I don't think there is a more fun car to drive than an AE86, but you would be really hard pressed to find a decent one for that price range. Most GTS cars are going for $6k+ now and RHD imports for $12k+.

I miss the days of finding 120k miles or less Supra's/Cressida's on Craigslist from anywhere from $200 to $800 bucks. I just had the conversation with my wife about how I need to start working on the Corolla once the garage is done and I don't know if I can sell it once done since I won't find another project car without paying a stupid amount of money.

Verse is giving great advice. The other option is 20/22re Celica's. They seem to sit for sale forever and have decent mileage on them.