Good "work boots"

jerrodh

Ok I am in the market for a good "work boot". Prefer water proof or very water resistant. Here's the catch though they need to be decent looking something I can wear with dress pants/slacks, etc.

Prefer a darker brown or something I can wear with khaki's/brown as well as black/grey.

Looking for serious recommendations as I've basically worn full blown dress shoes and sneakers my entire life. Not against spending some coin if they are a really nice comfortable/functional/look nice.

What are you guys wearing!?

You'll get a ton of opinions on this, like most other opinion based threads, but I'll drop mine anyway. I wear these daily. I'm on my feet for ~10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I like them. I've had them for 3 months working in various environments and they've held up well and been comfortable thus far. My brother got a pair at my recommendation and also wears them daily. He said he loves them as well. They come in 3 color options so take your pick (if you go this route).

I wear boots 8-10 hours a day, every workday. I generally buy workboots every year, and after a year I recycle the old pair to the garage/yard, then eventually to the truck for "just in case" use.

I had Wolverine Marauders for several years and they wear well but the pad in the bottom generally wears down after a year. After that I had two pairs of Keen workboots, which were very nice and comfortable but were a bit heavy in steel toe configuration.

My current boots are Thorogoods and I like them very much. Lighter, very comfortable, and they looks like a normal thick soled shoe with pants on. They have worn somewhat better than previous boots as well. I'm not certain whether mine are waterproof but I think they do offer those.

I won't buy anything other than Bates. Most comfortable and durable boots you'll find. They look good too (IMO)

My current pair.

https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/gx-8-desert-composite-toe-side-zip-boot/20130M.html?dwvar_20130M_color=E02276#cgid=men-use-work&start=1

Damn, those are half the price of my redwings. I like the pull on, but I'll have to check out these side zips. Where do you try yours on?(store)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by cstmg8

Working at UPS I go through a lot of boots....

so far the ones I like the most are actually Doctor martins industrial line.

my current pair are the steel toe light industrial, same look as a casual pair of docs but a heavier leather, lining and obviously a steel toe *also available in a composite safety toe

Every pair of boots I've tried outside of Redwings are worn out in 3-4 months, now I just replace in insoles every 3-4 months and get a little over a year out of my boots. I've tried Rockys, Cats, and Wolverines. I'm willing to try out something else if someone has had good lick with them, so I'm interested where this thread goes.

Another vote for Redwings here. I have been wearing them for the last 7-8 years now. They wear well (I've gotten up to 2 years out of a pair and just replaced them so I wouldn't lose my safety allowance) and they are comfortable for the time I wear them at work (usually 50-60 hours a week).

I’m on my 2nd pair of these, wear them 5+ days a week and they last about a year. Very comfortable and look fine with my khakis. The soles just wear off and have no traction after about a year so I get new ones. http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-footwear-slip-on/Men-s-Brown-Waterproof-Oxford-Romeo-CMS4190

Damn, those are half the price of my redwings. I like the pull on, but I'll have to check out these side zips. Where do you try yours on?(store)

I didn't try my on. I still have my military issue (same brand) so I knew what size to buy. They run true to whatever size you regularly wear though. I like the side zip though, makes it super easy to slip on and off. They take about 2 weeks to really break in but once they do you don't even feel like you're wearing boots

Didn't read any above recommendations but personally, red wings aren't what they used to be. I hated my last pair. Break in on them was terrible for the first week and they got destroyed quick.

Danner are really good boots, I was impressed with mine and they hold up very well. Break in was comfortable, they're great to walk in all day but they're a tad heavy.

I'm currently on 2 pair of meindles that I rotate daily. They're probably the best boot I've ever owned. Another super comfortable break in, they're holding up really well but I think part of it is opening more than one pair.

I'm in them 5 days a week rain, snow, mud doing tree work and they're holding up extremely well.

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/USD/product/work-boots/83912-11-pull-on-brown-wp-st?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrYbsktHW2QIVA61pCh2wlgxqEAQYASABEgLM2fD_BwE

I wear those everyday in the office with Khaki's/dress pants. (Every day of the week also, actually) I love them. I got tired of changing shoes to go from the office to the lab so this is my happy medium.

I’m in the minority, I’ll try anything but I’ll never wear a pair of redwings again.
I'm with you on this. I hated the last pair I had. I wear usually cat or wolverine now and like said above I recycle them to garage and outdoor boots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J326AZ using Tapatalk

Edited by DTA09

I’m in the minority, I’ll try anything but I’ll never wear a pair of redwings again.
Our company gives us an $85 dollar voucher for redwing, but I've wrecked the last two pair in one year. Not to mention $85 isn't a big deal on a $260 pair of boots.

I go through a pair of boots every 6 months or so. Standing on concrete all day, getting various automotive fluids and degreasers on them, crouching down 100x a day to set racks or work on interior, all tends to eat them up. That said, I've tried most of the big names $100-200. My current and most favorite are Thorogoods.

There is a shop between Logan and Lancaster that sells factory second Redwings. I don't think it's the official outlet store, but they have a shit ton of boots. It's in the fleemarket strip "mall" on 33 at Rockbridge. They don't always have every style, color, etc... Anyhow, they are roughly 1/2 price for new boots that most likely have a nick in the leather or some other cosmetic flaw. It's been a while since I've been in there, but the last time I went it was worth the trip.

http://www.hockinghillsmarket.com/biz.html#prettyPhoto

It's the "Boot shop outlet" 740-385-2728

There is a shop between Logan and Lancaster that sells factory second Redwings. I don't think it's the official outlet store, but they have a shit ton of boots. It's in the fleemarket strip "mall" on 33 at Rockbridge. They don't always have every style, color, etc... Anyhow, they are roughly 1/2 price for new boots that most likely have a nick in the leather or some other cosmetic flaw. It's been a while since I've been in there, but the last time I went it was worth the trip.

http://www.hockinghillsmarket.com/biz.html#prettyPhoto

It's the "Boot shop outlet" 740-385-2728

Excellent tip Rick, appreciate the info.