Anyone have an ATSV?

caseyctsv

So I sold my Camaro to get a fun daily. I have narrowed my choices down to a Gen 2 CTSV, a Chevy SS, or an ATSV. I test drove a CTSV and an SS this week. I knew I would love the CTSV but was shocked at how much I liked the SS. I also drove a BMW 435i XDrive Grand Coupe and it should have been my favorite. The interior was the nicest, it was the most advanced, it was even pretty....but, to me, it was boring. I didn’t WANT it. As car people I am sure you get that. My non-car guy friend thought I was crazy.

Anyways, I cannot find an ATSV to look at or drive. Does anyone have one that would be willing to meet up? I would even buy lunch!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way could I see you in a BMW.... You without an LS motor? Whaaaaaat?

I know right? I really liked the SS - way more than I expected to. It is not a “pretty” car - both Cadillacs, to me, are better looking, but I liked the feel of the SS better than the CTSV I drove.

Drive a non x drive 435. Xdrive kills the 335/435 car for some reason.

Also drive a 2 door stick one. I think a manual trans improves any BMW 1000%, it just completely sucks that you can't get the 4 series grand coupe in a stick, but you can still get a stick 3 series if you need more doors.

I like the Cadillacs, but the SS really does something for me. Any of them would be cool cars to have. I can certainly see not liking the BMW, every one I've ever driven did nothing for me, I just don't get the hype.

I have the gimpy CTS 3.6l model with every other feature except the V8 and I love the car. Could only imagine how much more fun the V8 would be.

I loved the CTSV I drove but it wasn’t in great shape. It also had a few mods I could see on it and was not the right color for me. It pulled like a freight train and, given it had at least an aftermarket air intake, the wail of the supercharger was smile-inducing. It also had a Corsa exhaust. The interior was very dark - would love to find one with the lighter interior.

Drive a non x drive 435. Xdrive kills the 335/435 car for some reason.

I think he just needs to drive one with a tune. We are talking 80+HP and 100+ HP with JUST the tune. I would have zero fun in my 535ix without it, but with e30, filters and all the boosties, it goes from snoozer to the most all around usable and fun DD I have ever owned.

Same can be said with the Gen2 V. If you drove one with JUST a pulley, Intake and some fuel, your mind may be set. Dont just consider the "now" on the test drive, consider the potential (and potential cost) down the road.

I am not sure how far from stock the CTSV I drove was (knew it was the wrong color so did not dig in) but man did it pull hard.

I have read about mods on the BMws and it is crazy. Apparently you can get 500+ wheel HP out of an ATSV with just a tune as well. We are living in the golden age!

Are the 335/435s underrated? It pulled really hard for a 300 HP car.

Everything is "underrated" HP wise these days. because no two cars make the same exact hp number, the number that is reported is supposed to represent the average. However, in the 80's and 90's there were a bunch of individual "False power"/false advertising lawsuits that alleged that the mfg was lying about the HP a car made to entice buyers to buy a car that actually made less. Most of these were settled, but the end result is the mfg advertises a number that they are confident that the overwhelming majority of cars can meet without some mechanical defect. So...yes.

But as far as pulling hard - BMW went to a dual scroll single turbo in 2009 which increased the bottom end of the torque curve over the twin turbo setup they had been using previous.

Have not ruled it out but have an unnatural aversion to Dodge. No real reason. Would drive a Mustang first if that tells you anything :)

Funny you can come test drive both back to back, I was never a dodge fan but the challenger was fun for sure, the gt350 is not as mod friendly as say a gt but is also pretty damn fun

If you go German make sure you have it scanned to see if it's been tuned or not. The guy who bought my car had no idea LOL. He said the same thing about it pulling like a train.

It could also have a basic piggy back unit from Burger motorsports on it too as they a very prevalent in BMW land. It could have a piggyback on it you might not even see it. The one on my car now is nearly invisible if you're not looking for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

the SS didn't have enough power for me. I just couldn't imagine myself being in a car that can't smoke the rear tires from a standstill. however, it was literally the most comfortable car I've driven---moreso than my audi. fit/finish were on point. I hate GM's infotainment system, so I can't really blame the SS for that. the car sounded amazing as well. mag ride was nothing short of astounding. the car felt like it weighed 3600lbs too.

that being said, I can't have a daily that can get smoked by a run of the mill mustang or Camaro. so the SS made way for the charger hellcat. much more power, louder, still a comfortable ride, but not as much as the SS. interior is not nearly as nice as the SS. I loved the SS's interior--was night and day better than my gen 2 cts-v. the hellcat is a noticeably bigger car, and drives that way. good luck, let me know if you need more info, as I've owned 3 of the cars on your potential list

kirk

You sound like me now. Get a toy, enjoy fr a bit then move on. Consider leasing?

I’d rock a hellcat myself but at this point don’t know if I’d prefer a buy or lease, and this coming from a guy that swore I’d never go near a lease again.

There are deals to be had on leases but it is just not me. I used to lease all of the time and have never been burned but I prefer to buy. I have gotten much better at keeping cars - all of my cars have been owned over 3 years.

Thanks Kirk - I appreciate it. Glad to hear I am not the only one impressed with the SS overall. I don’t need to be the fastest but don’t want to have minivans with more power :)