Elliot II: The Truck Formerly Known as Cleetus IV

Otis Nice

Well, as I said in Clay's original build thread I bought Cleetus IV from him back at the first of the year. Little by little I've been making upgrades/changes.

To start the carb was FUBAR and HAVING to spray starter fluid EVERY time just to get her to turn over then having to hold the gas pedal for awhile to get her to warm up so she wouldn't stall on you as you tried driving (had some fun times with this) got old...fast. A rebuilt carb was in order. Now she starts and runs without issue or hesitation.

I also put the passenger wiper arm back on, got new blades, took the american flag off the dash, removed the old diner/picnic table material from the door handles, fixed the door handles, fixed the dim dash lights, got a big Vanillaroma tree air freshener thanks to Mitch's recommendation, removed a bunch of unused wires and what not from under the hood, replaced some hoses, and some other little things I'm probably forgetting.

A couple weekends ago the orig front springs that had been cut were replaced/upgraded. Stock height in the front...well, minus the 2 inches the dream beams dropped it.

Last week, with a huge thanks to Derek, all new stock sized tires were added.

Today I flipped the front shackle on the rear leafs back over to where they originally were and upgraded some worn out hardware. I also added a cheap seat cover and a cig lighter well so I can actually charge my phone. :lol:

Anyway, I'm probably forgetting something, but here's how she sits as of now. Sorry Clay.

30712808_1873406826016397_6727631549774168064_n.jpg

...dat wheel gap tho!

Future plans include either a roll pan or new rear bumper, front end parts and an alignment, all new interior pieces that aren't red, swapping in the 4 speed, and possibly a real paint job complete with a crap ton of body work. We'll see on that. For now I'm having a blast driving this thing and USING IT!

So you undid Clay's mess? I dig it!

Thanks and I'm Trying to. He did wrong right. :lolguy:

Kidding aside, yeah, just basically taking it back to stock-ish. Not trying to make it show quality. Just want to enjoy it.

Edited by Otis Nice

If there was a guy that should continue Cleetus' life, it's Randy. <3

You didn't need starter fluid EVERYTIME you had to start it...it's just been really cold since you bought it from me and, yeah...you'll need starter fluid then. :lol:

Dig the newer peep mirrors. Many happy miles, man! Looking forward to updates!

If there was a guy that should continue Cleetus' life, it's Randy. <3

Means a lot to me buddy.

You didn't need starter fluid EVERYTIME you had to start it...it's just been really cold since you bought it from me and, yeah...you'll need starter fluid then. :lol:

Fair enough, but every time I started it I did. :lol: Also, stalling in a busy intersection isn't fun. Hahaha

Dig the newer peep mirrors. Many happy miles, man! Looking forward to updates!

Thanks man! The new mirrors were cheap, a la "Cleetus style", but didn't work for shit so each has a little stick on domed pivot mirror thing from O'O'O'O'Reilly's. We'll see where it goes from here. :lol:

I'm LOVING this truck man! Thanks again!

:lol: It was a toy and I love that Clay did everything in his power to do what he wanted without spending a single red cent. Haha. Of course he did spend money, but not much. A true "budget build". Edited by Otis Nice

The one thing that won the kids over....was a stereo. :lol:

Crank windows, rubber floor, dirty cloth bench seat....none of that matters if they can sing along to their favorite songs on Spotify or SiriusXM.

For me it’s A/C. To have the ability to dry out interior air/defrost windows has been great this winter.

Yeah, a radio is in the works. Dad talked about getting an antenna but I told him the factory radio was AM only so nah. lol

Glad to hear the kids are enjoying it. I was gonna text you yesterday and ask if the new Cleetus was welcomed into the fold yet or not.

And a/c has to be a nice change.

Edited by Otis Nice

• 2 months later...

Well, after the clutch linkage broke at the pivot joint leaving just threads in the block I decided to upgrade or clean up and paint those parts then put (cheap) lipstick on a pig.

Stripped all the Santa white off down to bare metal or plastic, primered, and painted "chrome". FYI: rattle can chrome = gray. :lol: Bye bye, "U-HAULed out"!

pixlr_20180617204654616.jpg

Ah just 'chrome' it too. It will look like above, just with "patina" to match the rest.

Black would just make it disappear :(

Of course, the Ford oval would help too....so would orange signals....so would....oh man this never ends lol

Now 'chrome' the grille too!

Thought about it. I actually planned on it but forgot to do the grille and realized it when I was putting it all back together. lol

I’d do the grille black. Big improvement over the candy cane look though.

Thanks.

Man, that truck is just begging for a true original chrome bumper and grille.....

LMC grill and bumper would go a long way and would be reasonable on the price too.

It's in the plans long term.

• 1 year later...

Well, the fam '52, forging, and life in general has made this a back burner project. I've driven it around town twice since I started the new job on April 1st and got a company pedovan. Hoping things will slow down this winter and I'll be able to actually move forward with some real work on it.

In the meantime, had shop logos painted on. Not too shabby for a barter deal.

20190905-133947.jpg