Exhaust Situation

Coaster

So I'm a little stuck getting the exhaust out of the way on my wifes Z3.

20180418_201507.jpg

The whole thing from here back is one piece so it's in the way of 20 things that need done. The exhaust itself is fine.

I can't even get the accessible bolts loose.

Do I start trying to cut the bolts off? Just cut the pipes a few inches back and use clamps?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Well I doubt you have access to a torch or something that'll get those heated. That would be your best bet on getting them apart, otherwise you'll be cutting or breaking them. Are they studs or bolts? With studs a torch makes it easy to punch them out when they're broken too. Pretty difficult to be any kind of efficient when working on old exhaust without a firewrench. Of course having one doesn't guarantee it won't fight you anyway.

In short, hopefully you can break those bolts off and knock the studs out.

I'm going to screw with it a little more tonight.

At this point I'm leaning towards taking a sawzall to it on the straight section and using band clamps to put it back on.

It is a NA straight 6 after all, not a fire breathing turbo monster.

Best Thing I can suggest is buy a can of map gass (yellow can right next to hand held propane (blue)) It will get hotter than propane and should get it hot enough to get them to break loose. I see you are spraying them with pb/wd. Best to heat then spray, then heat then spray again. Continue this process a few times then try removing them right after the last heat cycle. That "should" get them to break loose.

Heat 'em, soak 'em, whack 'em!

Or, remove it all and replace it with new not rusted ready to break stuff :)

The rest of the exhaust is still rust free really even for being 17 years old. This car doesn't appear to ever have been driven in the winter.

The majority of the Z3's we see are middle-aged owned with minimal miles on them. So it never being driven in the winter is not uncommon. Regardless if it was winter driven. The exh systems on BMW's hold up VERY well compared to other vehicles. We rarely replace them.

I wouldn't cut the exhaust if it was mine. Just break the studs and knock them out. BMW's replacement is a M10x40 bolt that will go back in the hole just fine. I keep the exhaust gaskets in stock at Kelly if you need them.