Jeep Wrangler YJ frame rust repair?

zeitgeist57

I’ve got a line on a ‘95 Wrangler for sale. Awaiting on a few questions from the owner but for the price I’ve got wifey-approval to buy it. Solid overall shape with 110k miles and hardly any tub/door rust.

From a friend that recently got a TJ - and past research - I know that a lot of rust-belt YJs/TJs by 2018 have suffered some Swiss-cheesy damage to their frames, but there are also some kits to reweld the frame in spots.

Anyone gone through this sort of rust repair on 90’s Wranglers? Not seeing any scary spots from the pics I took but I want to be prepared for the damage if it shows up, whether to run away or stick it out.

Jeeps are tinker toys. It’s always cheaper and easier to buy a rust free frame and swap it over than repair the frame, most people choose to repair because they don’t have the time and space to take the thing apart and swap everything over.

That being said, buying a not rusty one to begin with saves everyone a hassle. Do you want me to go with you to look at it?

Thanks guys. This would be an around-town (suburb/downtown) cruiser and the price is right. Drove a friend’s 1986 CJ-7 around UA for a weekend and loved it with doors off.

Kerry, I’d let you know if the owner returned my calls. She texted me this morning and nothing since then. :lol:

Jeeps are tinker toys. It’s always cheaper and easier to buy a rust free frame and swap it over than repair the frame, most people choose to repair because they don’t have the time and space to take the thing apart and swap everything over.

That being said, buying a not rusty one to begin with saves everyone a hassle. Do you want me to go with you to look at it?

This is what my friend is doing at the moment on his 97. He decided to go this route after doing two separate patch jobs on the rear part of the frame. Sadly it's been two years and he still hasn't completed it.

This is what my friend is doing at the moment on his 97. He decided to go this route after doing two separate patch jobs on the rear part of the frame. Sadly it's been two years and he still hasn't completed it.

the thing about jeep frames is they rot from the inside out as much as they rot from the outside in, so any major patch is usually only temporary - as in will last a couple of years but once rust starts it is hard to stop.

Even with how simple jeeps are, it's still a big job.

6 places I would check for rust on a YJ frame/body:

1) rear spring mount

2) front frame horns

3) frame rails where the skid plate/trans mount attaches (check the plate itself too as they tend to rust around the bolt holes and drop the skid plate on it's own).

4) all body mounts

5) all cross members but esp the rear ones

6) the inside of the tub in front of the door, right below where the jeep emblem is.

All these areas are common rust areas and a punch in the dick to repair. You can fix a hole in the floor with anything from a plank of wood to a patch panel and a welder, but it's not easy to fix any of those places because patches don't exist or are difficult to weld in.

from what I can see in that pic, it looks pretty clean. I don't see the front fender or rear tub bubbles you normally see. I betcha even the windshield frame is nice.

If you do get it, I have a set of pretty nice door windows for that soft top. my soft top uses a different shape.

Edited by Geeto67