WTB: Jeep Wrangler YJ parts

zeitgeist57

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128877

So, conversation is warming up around this Jeep I've been looking at, and while I haven't bought it yet I'm already lining up parts/maintenance items. :) Wanted to start here to see if folks had any used parts! Looking especially for:

- Wheels/Tires

- Suspension for a 2.5L: springs, shackles, shocks, etc

- Audio - upgraded speakers, sub box

- Accessories like aux lights, light bars, aftermarket bumpers, etc...stuff that you've been holding onto all these years!

EDIT: Jeep sold out from under me within the week.

Edited by zeitgeist57
Update

Can I make some suggestions?

1) if you are going to upgrade the radio, move it to the center console. Forget a CD player and just get one with an aux input on the face and bluetooth pairing. Why? jeep winshield gaskets leak and they leak right on top of the radio. Quadratec sells an extension pigtail for the stock harness, and there are a number of center consoles that offer space for the radio.

2) DONT LIFT IT. it's a stock 4 cyl which means it's gutless as it is, but lifting it will make that far far worse. If you need bigger tires 30" tall is the maximum that will fit (that's what I have on my jeep and I have 0 lift) and you can get them for the stock rims. Derek sold me these for my jeep two years ago and I love them for their off road prowess and lack of street noise, and the fact that they are half what a bfg costs but just as capable: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mastercraft-Courser-LTR-104R-Tire-30-9-50R15LT/47406453?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227035903276&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=68398136929&wl4=pla-153484297249&wl5=9014871&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=47406453&wl13=&veh=sem

The rims that jeep comes with are actually the tough as nails factory alloy rims which they used on everything from Grand Cherokees to YJs. they are light and take a tremendous amount of abuse. They look really good painted black. If you don't want them I'll take them off your hands.

3) take the carpet out and bedliner the tub. It's a soft top jeep, the carpet is just a moisture trap and will cause rust. If you want to be hardcore, replace the seats with fiberglass buckets and get rid of the soft top all together (though you will want a sunrider for the top of the bar). put down rubber floor mats so you don't burn your feet. If your fenders have not rusted yet then bedliner the inner fenders wells.

4) just get a cheapie set of monroe shocks for this thing new. I've had every manner of shocks on mine from Rancho 5000s to Bilsteins, and I run cheapie Monroe shocks now because it gives the softest ride. the short wheelbase of a YJ means that a performance offroad shock is a jarring ride. softer the better.

5) re-do all your body bushings and the front end bushings. Buy them new.

I have a set of upper door windows that fit your hardtop in decent shape and match your top. buy me a drink and they are yours.

Edited by Geeto67

The thing that's making me want wheels/tires is the number of JK take-offs available for the price of a set of new 15" tires. Even with a YJ to JK adapter, the price is cheap.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/wto/d/2014-jeep-wrangler-tires-5/6656235024.html

Great tips otherwise!

The thing that's making me want wheels/tires is the number of JK take-offs available for the price of a set of new 15" tires. Even with a YJ to JK adapter, the price is cheap.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/wto/d/2014-jeep-wrangler-tires-5/6656235024.html

Great tips otherwise!

If you just want bigger rims, 1984-2001 Cherokee, 2002-2007 Liberty, 96-06 TJ, and 1992-1998 Grand cherokee all fit the YJ with the same bolt pattern and back spacing and there are some nice 16 and 17" wheels in that mix. All of them with new tires are like half the cost of JK wheels. You don't want to go big wheels on a wrangler because the suspension is so harsh, a fat sidewall is part of the cushion.

YJs use a 5x4.5 lug pattern with 5.5" backspacing (yeah no ET sizes here). 5x4.5 is universally known as the ford passenger car bolt pattern. 90's rangers and explorers as well as broncos I think have the same pattern and spacing that is close. Fox bodies have a 6.5" backspacing with the 5x4.5 pattern but there are tons of wide used aftermarket wheels for them. Explorer wheels have a 4.5" backspacing so they poke about an 1" which is ideal if you ask me (my YJ has 1" of poke but it also has 9" wide rims).

If you do the leg work, there are a ton of cheap cool options.

that being said, P245/75R16 equates out to a 30.5x9.6 imperial tire size so that is the maximum you can run and the plastic fenders will rub and self clearance or you can take a wizzwheel to them.

BTW, we should do a homemade turbo setup for this jeep. 89rwhp is going to be groan city.

Edited by Geeto67

I have. They are borderline dangerous on the highway, barely holding 70mph and getting tossed in the crosswind of passing semis.

But....this thing would genuinely stay on surface streets around our suburbs. No DD duties expected. Price is cheap.

Clay -

Don't know your budget or if you already purchased one but we are casually selling my dad's becoming collectible 88 YJ Wrangler I6 with only 9700 miles in Fla.

The radio will suck pretty much no matter what you do as the accoustics of the soft top/raw engine sound overwhelm the audio. He put a clarion head unit and pioneer big outdoor speakers in his.

He put gold BBS mesh rims on his and momo steering wheel. He has original ugly white rims and bus wheel as well.

Later,

Andrew

I have. They are borderline dangerous on the highway, barely holding 70mph and getting tossed in the crosswind of passing semis.

But....this thing would genuinely stay on surface streets around our suburbs. No DD duties expected. Price is cheap.

Yes- Hardly highway safe. Made for combat, 35 mph beach cruising or parades.

Clay -

Don't know your budget or if you already purchased one but we are casually selling my dad's becoming collectible 88 YJ Wrangler I6 with only 9700 miles in Fla.

The radio will suck pretty much no matter what you do as the accoustics of the soft top/raw engine sound overwhelm the audio. He put a clarion head unit and pioneer big outdoor speakers in his.

He put gold BBS mesh rims on his and momo steering wheel. He has original ugly white rims and bus wheel as well.

Later,

Andrew

Good to hear from you man! That Wrangler sounds badass.

The deal fell through on the '95, guys. The woman I was trying to meet was not responsive to calls and texts all last week. I wasn't surprised then, when I asked if she was available on Sunday (her request) for me to finally check out the Jeep, that she casually dropped the "Sorry, it sold yesterday" text. I was being strung along. :fuuuu:

Thanks to everyone for their help! The search keeps on...