looking for someone who does "cut and buff" on a new paint job

smokin5s

So I just had my car painted last weekend... I want to give it a few weeks to make sure it's all the way dry but there's some light orange peel on it in a few spots. I know Andy does mobile detailing, but not sure if he works on newly painted cars like this. I might just wait until the spring to get it done but I want to get someone lined up. Any recommendations? I'd really like them to come out to my house to do it since I'm still working out some mechanical issues that caused the car to be wrecked in the first place.

So I just had my car painted last weekend... I want to give it a few weeks to make sure it's all the way dry but there's some light orange peel on it in a few spots. I know Andy does mobile detailing, but not sure if he works on newly painted cars like this. I might just wait until the spring to get it done but I want to get someone lined up. Any recommendations? I'd really like them to come out to my house to do it since I'm still working out some mechanical issues that caused the car to be wrecked in the first place.

I retired from detailing almost 5 years ago...but a couple of words of wisdom. This is going to be above the skill set of almost all of the mobile detailers in this area. Tim is killing it with his work I'd reach out to see what he can do for you. It's going to require more sanding than you probably think to get everything level and uniform throughout and in the end it's a highly labor intensive job. There's likely other issues that a detailer will need to fix / clean up from the paint shop too. It will be very helpful to whomever is going to work on the car to know how many layers of clear are on the car and what the paint is (to determine hardness) to help them gauge the level of effort needed. Otherwise they need to work even more slowly and with extreme caution to avoid going through the clear.

I retired from detailing almost 5 years ago...but a couple of words of wisdom. This is going to be above the skill set of almost all of the mobile detailers in this area. Tim is killing it with his work I'd reach out to see what he can do for you. It's going to require more sanding than you probably think to get everything level and uniform throughout and in the end it's a highly labor intensive job. There's likely other issues that a detailer will need to fix / clean up from the paint shop too. It will be very helpful to whomever is going to work on the car to know how many layers of clear are on the car and what the paint is (to determine hardness) to help them gauge the level of effort needed. Otherwise they need to work even more slowly and with extreme caution to avoid going through the clear.

4 coats of clear. I have the exact paint used as well... I will probably wait until sprint just to make sure that everything is dry and hardened properly. I will reach out to Tim.

Thanks!

4 coats of clear. I have the exact paint used as well... I will probably wait until sprint just to make sure that everything is dry and hardened properly. I will reach out to Tim.

Thanks!

Good stuff, shouldn't be too bad then if it's just isolated panels and good to know you know exactly what's on there.

Some paints are almost impossible to wet sand and rub after they have cured. All will be harder to wet sand and buff after 2 or 3 days,and will continue to harden. Harder paint will be much more labor intensive, and again depending on the paint, may be damn near impossible. These jobs are usually performed by the body shop, as detailers don’t usually get into this much paint removal.

Take it back to whoever painted it. 4 coats is excessive, unless theyre scared to blow some clear. Then its more like a normal 2 coats. Should have been done before it left. Like already stated, you'll play hell trying to cut and buff clear thats fully cured. I buff as soon as 2 hours after. Most of the time its next day if needed. Good luck!