Soldering a positive battery cable?

1Quik7

So I was doing an upgrade to my truck and I noticed the positive terminal on passenger side battery was loose (dual battery HD truck setup) so I tightened it and the lead snapped. Its not your typical post terminal, they have a line coming in the front and one going out the back. The cable coiming across from the driver side battery in the front snapped.

I have limited solder experience, mostly small r/c and electronics. The cable snapped at the termial, is there a solder that is strong enough to hold...at least temporarily? I would just replace the cable, but like I said, its a weird doulbe terminal that has a cable exiting out the backside.

Mine are getting weak on my truck, and I've got a replacement set from these guys in the garage...

https://www.custombatterycables.com/2007-2009-dodge-ram-2500-3500-6-7l/

Not sure what truck you've got but they sell individual upgrade cables or complete sets. Look to be great quality.

Not worth it except as an emergency repair. It won't hold. Too brittle. Solder is really better for small jobs in which flex is absolutely minimal. If you do, make sure you get the good lead stuff or the heat cycling will cause it to fail incredibly quick.

Replace.

You can get the solder terminals at Napa and many other places. Getting the old copper wire clean to get ththe solder to stick is going to be the tricky part. I use a torch and invert the terminal. If the wire is cleaned with rosin flux, you can heat the terminal with a torch and fill with solder. While the solder is still molten insert the fluxed wire into the terminal and hold in place you can also crimp with a round punch to hold it mechanically as well.

Let's see a pic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Not mine, my phone bricked itself playing music while I was under the hood, not a good weekend for me. But this picture shows it must be a common issue and is very similar to how mine broke, though mine snapped pretty much back at the rubber cable and not so close to the post. What you can't see in this picture is another positive cable that comes up the back side of the battery...so its not simple round terminal.

92354d1459486088-battery-cable-positive-side-terminal-broke-p3310038.jpg

Sounds like you should be concerned with corrosion having already spread down the cable. There isn’t any saving that type of stamped steel shitty battery terminal. I know you don’t want to hear it, but you should probably be replacing all the parts involved if you want a reliable lasting repair.

do a search for car audio sites for connectors. A lot of those guys use multiple batteries in series and if I remember correctly they use something called flag connectors that have two outputs, one on each side. There are crimp style and compression fitting style - you want compression fitting so you can just strip your cable ends and shove them in the connector.

you want compression fitting so you can just strip your cable ends and shove them in the connector.

Only if you aren't

concerned with corrosion having already spread down the cable.

But

you should probably be replacing all the parts involved if you want a reliable lasting repair.

Sounds like you should be concerned with corrosion having already spread down the cable. There isn’t any saving that type of stamped steel shitty battery terminal. I know you don’t want to hear it, but you should probably be replacing all the parts involved if you want a reliable lasting repair.

That is the best way to do it

corrosion in the cable is pretty easy to check - get the multimeter out measure the voltage from the positive terminal to the starter terminal - if it reads more than 0.3 volts during cranking then it's done. Same with the negative cable, measure from terminal to starter housing and while cranking if it is more than 0.3 volts it has too much resistance.

corrosion in the cable is pretty easy to check - get the multimeter out measure the voltage from the positive terminal to the starter terminal - if it reads more than 0.3 volts during cranking then it's done. Same with the negative cable, measure from terminal to starter housing and while cranking if it is more than 0.3 volts it has too much resistance.

Voltage drop is one thing, if there is any corrosion already starting down the cable it may still work, but for how long? I don’t get paid to make half ass repairs, and this is why any competent technician is going to suggest replacing everything.

if it is more than 0.3 volts it has too much resistance.

Where did you come up with this number? The only way to check resistance by measuring voltage is to know how much current there is during cranking. Why wouldn't you suggest simply measuring resistance? How much resistance should he measure before replacing the cable? Or are you just throwing random numbers out?