Shop Talk: What Power Tools Should A Home Shop Have?

wagner

Let's get a thread going about what kind of power tools a shop should have and what you've used.

I'm looking at adding a drill press and bench grinder to my shop, just not sure on the brand/style. These things seem to go from zero to crazy expensive really quick.

Looking at a WEN drill press but need to see more reviews about how they do with metal. Bench grinder I've found a few on Amazon that are in the 3/4 range.

Are we talking about machining/fabricating, or working on cars too? My suggestions for both would be a decent welder, electric high torque impact, quarter driver and a good drill. Bench vise and a press (even if they aren't power tools).

I was thinking machining/fabricating but other tools work too.

Welder is up there for sure if you have the cash. I picked up a Miller 211 from work that was used during Horsepower Wars for a good price.

Assuming you'll get air, this tool (below) has saved me a ton of time. I have yet to have bolt that it cannot take off. For things that can spin on you like driveshaft bolts it breaks them loose before spinning.

Don't forget about lighting either.

https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-composite-xtreme-torque-air-impact-wrench-62892.html

I still feel like I need an air compressor for some reason, but after getting a battery impact. I dont really see why other than airing up tires.

This. I would go all in on battery impact tools except I'll always need a compressor...just sticking with air tools and the disgusting 10+ year old air hose that's been dragged through eveything and smudges anything it touches :lol:

Wags, any vid content you watch that uses tools? I watch Bad Obsession Motorsports in the UK with their "Project Binky" AWD turbo classic MINI and they use a belt sander to shape metal...I'd look for a bench grinder that also has that on it?

This. I would go all in on battery impact tools except I'll always need a compressor...just sticking with air tools and the disgusting 10+ year old air hose that's been dragged through eveything and smudges anything it touches :lol:

Spray brake cleaner on a rag, and wipe the air hose off. Brake clean takes care of everything.

Spray brake cleaner on a rag, and wipe the air hose off. Brake clean takes care of everything.

FWIW I’ve wiped it but never thought of brake clean. It’s interesting how the hose wicks water when the air is humid in my garage...makes it extra sticky.

FWIW I’ve wiped it but never thought of brake clean. It’s interesting how the hose wicks water when the air is humid in my garage...makes it extra sticky.

I wouldnt use brake clean just because it could break down rubber... soap water/cleaner + rag, then final pass with magic eraser...get the generic bulk melamine foam, 100 pieces for $8 or something on amazon. Awesome for cleaning all kinds of cable/hose.

Let's talk bench grinders. I'm going to need something that is better than your typical HF unit for sure since I'm going to be doing a lot of metal work.

I'm thinking something that is 3/4 horsepower. What do you guys have in your home garage or use at work?

Let's talk bench grinders. I'm going to need something that is better than your typical HF unit for sure since I'm going to be doing a lot of metal work.

I'm thinking something that is 3/4 horsepower. What do you guys have in your home garage or use at work?

I do (what seems to me like) a lot of metal work - and my bench grinder has been packed away for years. It's an old Craftsman, 8", two speed, somewhere 1/2-1 hp..

That being said, today I use:

1) Old Delta 14" metal cutting band saw

2) Ryobi Metal cutting chop saw

3) 4" and 10" handheld grinders

4) Tabletop Belt/disc sander combo (just got this recently, not sure how I got along without it all these years)

5) Drill press - again, the biggest old Craftsman "Pro Series"

6) I do have a small metal lathe (10x30)?, but depending on what you will be working on and space, a Mill/Drill combo might work and negate the need for a drill press

7) Mig and Gas welders

8) Bead blast cabinet

9) Compressor

10) 36" Sheet metal brake

Here again, this is decades of accumulation - and metal work covers a broad spectrum. Sheet metal? Steel tubing? Aluminum bits for bushings/etc? Depending on what you will do (the most of), The above list can be cut down adjusted to fit where you will be spending most of your time.

I do (what seems to me like) a lot of metal work - and my bench grinder has been packed away for years. It's an old Craftsman, 8", two speed, somewhere 1/2-1 hp..

That being said, today I use:

1) Old Delta 14" metal cutting band saw

2) Ryobi Metal cutting chop saw

3) 4" and 10" handheld grinders

4) Tabletop Belt/disc sander combo (just got this recently, not sure how I got along without it all these years)

5) Drill press - again, the biggest old Craftsman "Pro Series"

6) I do have a small metal lathe (10x30)?, but depending on what you will be working on and space, a Mill/Drill combo might work and negate the need for a drill press

7) Mig and Gas welders

8) Bead blast cabinet

9) Compressor

10) 36" Sheet metal brake

Here again, this is decades of accumulation - and metal work covers a broad spectrum. Sheet metal? Steel tubing? Aluminum bits for bushings/etc? Depending on what you will do (the most of), The above list can be cut down adjusted to fit where you will be spending most of your time.

NICE! This is some good info. I will have to look into some of this stuff for sure.

hands down, this is the best tool for the money and you don't need an air compressor... I love mine, I haven't found a bolt it can't take off, battery life is awesome, and this thing has been beat on and just keeps working.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-max-lithium-12-in-cordless-xtreme-torque-impact-wrench-kit-63852.html