GM Introduces the eCOPO Camaro at SEMA

wagner

I think it’s pretty cool but not sure it will be a hit with the usual Camaro fan. A big part of the experience is the sound.

Agree. I'd rather see them do what Acura, MBZ and Infiniti and others are doing in that they are supplementing the power of their petrol engines with the added performance of electric. Give me an SS with 480hp gas and another 120hp and GOBS more Torque on-tap from an instant-on electric boost and that would be fun as hell.

I've driven a turned up P100D and been in a 918 from a "dig". Here's my take

I can honestly see myself driving a Tesla for a DD. If they allow privateers to actually fix them, I'd buy one used. That being said- it is fast 0-60. The"hit" is hilarious and brutal. But for a "fun" car I'm just not into it. I'd take my c6z bellowing unburned fuel and ludacris merica' sounds out of the exhaust any day of the week, even if its slower to 60. Its a visceral driving experience vs. what is effectively a silent roller coaster.

For that reason, I don't dig the E copo but I get the marketing and brand awareness aspect of it.

Now the 918 makes great use of the electric motors on the leave. I think the way it integrates the electric motors for initial acceleration will be mainstream in the next 5-10 years. That I'm cool with for a sports car. Super effective.

I can honestly see myself driving a Tesla for a DD. The"hit" is hilarious and brutal. But for a "fun" car I'm just not into it. I'd take my c6z bellowing unburned fuel and ludacris merica' sounds out of the exhaust any day of the week, even if its slower to 60. Its a visceral driving experience vs. what is effectively a silent roller coaster./quote]

Well said. :thumbup:

I raced nitro and electric RC cars for years. Nitro just gives you that "experience" with the sound, the fumes and so on. Electric, on the other hand, was just pure, raw, and sometimes angry power on demand.

With how hard the EPA is finger banging the aftermarket industry every chance they get, especially on the tuning side, look for electric to start being forced down our throats more and more.

The irony is all these people want electric cars, but we don't have the infrastructure as a country to support it.

I never thought I'd see "e" and "COPO" together.

COPO just means Central Office Production Order, it was primarily used by dealers for taxicabs, special order police cars, fleet vehicles, special color orders, trucks, hearse knock down kits, etc. It only became associated with performance when Yekno, nickey, Motion, and a few other dealers used it to order 427 camaros instead of doing the swaps in house. It still exists as fleet and commercial sales.

You don't need to be a millionaire to own a COPO car, just really good at reading trim tags. Plenty of 4 door 60's sedans in special colors and options are out there for not a lot of money - esp ex police and taxi cars. I had a friend in Louisiana that owned a COPO 1962 bel air 4 door. it was a 409 single carb automatic, ordered as a fleet car for an oil company in texas. I think the COPO special order was for the company's colors and not the 409 which was available on the sedan, and wagon in single carb format. I think it was destroyed in Katrina.

Good on GM for building this electronic drag racer, I really hope this gains more traction (pun intended) with the NHRA and we see more entries and more classes. Electric car and bike drag racing right now is pretty exciting and still largely grass roots, having a major mfg step up both legitimizes the sport and starts to prove to the aftermarket that the demand is there.

It's not an SUV so nobody here cares

1) Camero LOL.

2) $45k trucks LOL.

I think it’s cool to see what Possibilities electric cars have

I can honestly see myself driving a Tesla for a DD. If they allow privateers to actually fix them, I'd buy one used. That being said- it is fast 0-60. The"hit" is hilarious and brutal. But for a "fun" car I'm just not into it.

This. Wifey is on her way to getting a used Tesla in the next year or 2. Will look forward to smacking some wheels on that and rocking it when she'll let me.

Super cool concept, but that front end though. Yikes. Why did they soften all the lines so much? It looks like it's high.

See point #1 above.

Camero LOL.

COPO just means Central Office Production Order, it was primarily used by dealers for taxicabs, special order police cars, fleet vehicles, special color orders, trucks, hearse knock down kits, etc. It only became associated with performance when Yekno, nickey, Motion, and a few other dealers used it to order 427 camaros instead of doing the swaps in house. It still exists as fleet and commercial sales.

You don't need to be a millionaire to own a COPO car, just really good at reading trim tags. Plenty of 4 door 60's sedans in special colors and options are out there for not a lot of money - esp ex police and taxi cars. I had a friend in Louisiana that owned a COPO 1962 bel air 4 door. it was a 409 single carb automatic, ordered as a fleet car for an oil company in texas. I think the COPO special order was for the company's colors and not the 409 which was available on the sedan, and wagon in single carb format. I think it was destroyed in Katrina.

Good on GM for building this electronic drag racer, I really hope this gains more traction (pun intended) with the NHRA and we see more entries and more classes. Electric car and bike drag racing right now is pretty exciting and still largely grass roots, having a major mfg step up both legitimizes the sport and starts to prove to the aftermarket that the demand is there.

Neat bit of history. Perhaps naming this thing COPO is a nod to a future strategy of allowing some GM models to be ordered electric in certain circumstances? I could see an electric Camaro as an orderable option for fleet sales, etc. but not something stocked on dealer lots...

Neat bit of history. Perhaps naming this thing COPO is a nod to a future strategy of allowing some GM models to be ordered electric in certain circumstances? I could see an electric Camaro as an orderable option for fleet sales, etc. but not something stocked on dealer lots...

they named their reborn drag racer program COPO in homage to those 427 Camaros, Novas, and Chevelles and were pretty upfront about it in the marketing.

GM's structure is pretty different than how it used to be. COPO orders used to not need executive level approval because they didn't think dealers ordering 100 taxi's at a time would violate GM policies, basically a Dealer would call and order a minumum of 100 cars, production and engineering would sign off on it, and a block of time would be allocated to production to built the 100 identical units. That is until Dick Harrell and Fed Gibb Chevrolet ordered 100 Aluminum Block 1969 Camaro ZL-1s. GM's executive management heard about the order and cancelled it after 69 units were built and shipped. GM used to have a rule that you couldn't put anything bigger than 400ci in a compact or mid size passenger car, and this skirted it. After this incident GM began to build programs and a lot of special order cars got built under those like the later 454 and ZR-1 350ci novas (which yenko rebadged as "the deuce").

This car right now is GM's special program for electric performance cars. It's testing the waters with a very specific purpose built vehicle. I have to image if GM wants to sell a street version it will start a special program for that as well and may even do a pilot or beta test. I would like to think that if this is successful then there is a chance that if this is successful they may sell the drivetrain as a conversion kit to retrofit street cars through the GM performance parts division.

It's wishful thinking at the moment, but coming off a profitable 2018, it's not out of the realm of possibility. GM does already do electric vehicle fleet sales with the Volt and Bolt, NYC has a bunch of them for sanitation and parking enforcement. Ford and Chrysler had fleet electric vehicles in the past (electric ranger anyone?) but no major manufacturer has done a performance electric vehicle before. Actually before Tesla showed there was a market, nobody considered it.

I just really like the idea that in an NHRA event, there is now the possibility that privateer racers with home-built electric race cars can line up against factory backed efforts on almost level playing ground. It has a very 1960's match racer feel to it.

ZR-1 350ci novas? They were LT1's weren't they?

They were the 1970 LT-1s, the same 360hp solid lifter 350 found in the z/28 and the C3 Corvette Zr1, but in a nova. Most of the 175 deuces produced also received the COPO 9737 Sports Car Conversion package carried over from the 1969 camaro parts bin (since the nova still shared a platform with the 1969 and not the later 1970 F body) which had a gauge package, Nova SS F41 suspension option using a special rear sway bar and shocks, a special-order 4.10:1 12-bolt differential and special front coil and rear leaf springs, and 15x8 rally wheels with 70 series tires. Options included disc brakes, a hood tach (similar to pontiac's on the GTO and 67-69 firebird), and

8 different colors (all with a black bench seat interior). Yenko then added exterior stripes, interior decals, and floor mats. I think these cars ran 13's out of the box.

The Deuce was a replacement for the 1969 COPO 427 "Super Nova" which Yenko sold 35 of before GM cancelled his order. the supernova was not a great car and yenko said himself it was "brutally fast and potentially dangerous" - as well drawing the attention of the big insurance companies who didn't want to insure his new super cars without massive premiums.

hemmings has a good writeup on it:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2011/03/The---Day-Two---Deuce---1970-Chevrolet-Nova-Yenko-Deuce/3697001.html