Favorite Calibers?

gillbot

Just looking for discussion on favorite calibers. What does CR say?

Fav handgun?

Fav rifle/shotgun?

Mine:

Handgun, 357 sig but 45acp is a close 2nd. Haven’t shot 44/357mag or 10mm yet so my thought may change as I shoot more calibers. 357 sig is fun and snappy though and I enjoy it thus far.

Rifle, hands down is the 50. Distant 2nd is 12ga buck handloads. I like a few other decent calibers like 338 lapua, 270 win, 300 win mag, 308, etc but the 50 smile has never been topped.

I’m always looking for deals and the safe has room so just listening to opinions. I’m leaning 308 for rifle right now, undecided on handgun.

If you haven't tried 6.5 Creedmoor you need to before you go buying a .308

I've been kicking around the idea of a .338 Lapua Mag, but I really cannot justify the cost. I've hit targets with the 6.5 at 1000 yards, and with some luck I think it will carry to a mile. Beyond a mile I'm not sure where I would shoot in Ohio. 50 has to be a real treat to shoot, but again finding a place to stretch it's legs and really have some fun is a problem. I did get a chance to shoot Bob's .408 Cheytac and it gave me a woody.

I really do want the .338 but even though I reload it's going to be roughly a $5000 investment if I do between the rifle (Ruger Precision Rifle), Glass (Vortex Razor), Reloading dies and supplies, etc... (200 pieces of Lapua brass, bullets, primers, powder)

Any of the real distance guns aren’t cheap. 338 Lapland is fun, 408 also and while 50 and Ohio don’t match well, I have a history that means more to me than stretching its legs.

I’ve read about the 6.5 and it’s intriguing but cost is a tough wall to climb, while the 308 is tried and true.

6.5 creedmoor in the savage platform has great bang for its buck. Amazing accuracy out of the box essentially, accutrigger is a very good manufacturer trigger too. You can get these rifles depending on the configuration for $400-$600 starting out.

That being said I have to many favorites but if you limit me to one.

Sig 320c w/ Sig Romeo

Savage 6.5 Creedmoor followed very closely with my newly built Savage Mark II .22LR

I love .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, 6.5 creedmoor

This stuff is a little out of my league....I'm not really a gun enthusiast as much as just a 30+ year hunter so just experience with hunting guns. I will say however a couple years ago I bought my son a Mossberg 500 20 gauge that came with 2 barrels. The cantelever deer barrel loaded with Hornady SST's is a pretty damn impressive deer gun. That thing drives tacks and we've killed 5 deer with it between us and a buddy of mine and none of them took another step after being hit. Its easily my favorite gun we own. I did buy a 50 cal accura v2 muzzleloader that's a close 2nd. Very accurate gun and easy to use. Not really on par with the guns you guys shoot but in Ohio I can t hunt with any of those so I have no real use for them.

Pistol- .460 rowland. Something quite satisfying about shooting .44 mag power out of a baby 45acp case and 1911. Very close second is .357 mag.

Rifle-Currently I really enjoy shooting .300 blackout. I like the process of converting the cases and reloading for it. I've also been playing around with .30-30 mouse fart loads in the 6-700fps range that shoot like a .22lr but have the satisfying thud of a 165gr bullet

Any of the real distance guns aren’t cheap. 338 Lapland is fun, 408 also and while 50 and Ohio don’t match well, I have a history that means more to me than stretching its legs.

I’ve read about the 6.5 and it’s intriguing but cost is a tough wall to climb, while the 308 is tried and true.

If you compare apples to apples on ammo, the 6.5 and the .308 are very similar in price to shoot. I just checked Midway supplies, and the Hornady Match grade ammunition is within $0.10 per round price between the 6.5 and the .308. It's a little expensive to feed, so I started reloading. That's a new fun hobby as well.

6.5 creedmoor in the savage platform has great bang for its buck. Amazing accuracy out of the box essentially, accutrigger is a very good manufacturer trigger too. You can get these rifles depending on the configuration for $400-$600 starting out.

That being said I have to many favorites but if you limit me to one.

Sig 320c w/ Sig Romeo

Savage 6.5 Creedmoor followed very closely with my newly built Savage Mark II .22LR

I love .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, 6.5 creedmoor

I'm considering the Ruger Precision Rimfire for exactly the same reason. .22LR is just fun.

Just looking for discussion on favorite calibers. What does CR say?

Fav handgun?

Fav rifle/shotgun?

Mine:

Handgun, 357 sig but 45acp is a close 2nd. Haven’t shot 44/357mag or 10mm yet so my thought may change as I shoot more calibers. 357 sig is fun and snappy though and I enjoy it thus far.

Rifle, hands down is the 50. Distant 2nd is 12ga buck handloads. I like a few other decent calibers like 338 lapua, 270 win, 300 win mag, 308, etc but the 50 smile has never been topped.

I’m always looking for deals and the safe has room so just listening to opinions. I’m leaning 308 for rifle right now, undecided on handgun.

9mm for Pistols. Easy to find ammo and I have several thus why change

Love .357's Was one of my first firearms thanks to my father in law

.22 Rifles since I was 10 as they are just so much fun to plink with

A gun is a tool. Pick the caliber that will do the best job for your application, and that remains within your budget.

Sounds more like you just enjoy felt recoil. Get the biggest pistol caliber you can afford to shoot. Same with rifle.

I’ll agree with Rick on the 6.5 creedmore. It is ballistically superior to .308 and quickly gaining in popularity, but it might not be enough recoil for you liking. Get a .308 gun with a 16” barrel like a socom. I think you’d enjoy shooting that.

If you compare apples to apples on ammo, the 6.5 and the .308 are very similar in price to shoot. I just checked Midway supplies, and the Hornady Match grade ammunition is within $0.10 per round price between the 6.5 and the .308. It's a little expensive to feed, so I started reloading. That's a new fun hobby as well.

I'm considering the Ruger Precision Rimfire for exactly the same reason. .22LR is just fun.

I reload everything I shoot, so ammo cost can swing wildly there based on component availability. With the 6.5 being a newer cartridge, it's slightly more than 308 generally speaking, but dropping as it gains in popularity.

A gun is a tool. Pick the caliber that will do the best job for your application, and that remains within your budget.

Sounds more like you just enjoy felt recoil. Get the biggest pistol caliber you can afford to shoot. Same with rifle.

I’ll agree with Rick on the 6.5 creedmore. It is ballistically superior to .308 and quickly gaining in popularity, but it might not be enough recoil for you liking. Get a .308 gun with a 16” barrel like a socom. I think you’d enjoy shooting that.

I'm in WV, which I think is only 2nd to Texas when it comes to guns. :p If I had a gun in every caliber known to man, i'd fit in here better.

It's not so much felt recoil that i'm after, but I do like the "bastard" rounds because they are fairly uncommon and they are fun to shoot. Truth be told, my favorite gun I own is a Hi-Point for the same reason, it's the red-headed step child of the gun world. People are shocked when they actually go bang for some reason. The internet has them painted as a non-functional useless hunk of metal, but they are some of the most reliable guns I own. Plus the look on everyone's face when they "just have to shoot it" and it works flawlessly every time is worth what I paid for 'em alone.

EDIT: Yeah 22LR is a hoot and for me it would be a close tie with 22LR and my air rifle in 22 as well. Just plain fun.

For me, accuracy is what makes it fun. Since I cast and reload, the cost difference between 9mm and 44 mag really isn’t much. I like a heavy 1911 series 45acp but I’ve got a pet load that I shoot well. Similar situation in a 357 Mag with a heavy old S&W. It’s fun to shoot fireballs out of a 44 Mag but I haven’t found a load I like yet so it’s a giggle factor only at this point. If I had to pick for a SHTF situation it would be a G17 and an AR rifle.

I think one of my favorite aspects of shooting old milsurps is wondering who held it before me. Whose shoulder did it bruise and who were they shooting at? How did the stock get dented and did it save or take a life. To me, I love the history.

I think one of my favorite aspects of shooting old milsurps is wondering who held it before me. Whose shoulder did it bruise and who were they shooting at? How did the stock get dented and did it save or take a life. To me, I love the history.

Never really thought about that aspect.

Trust this man, he was a navy seal army marine special forces sniper.