Ford People: What To Look For In Mercury Grand Marquis/Town Cars/Crown Vics

wagner

I need to pick up a second job to make some cash to eliminate debt and pay for some projects. A friend of mine told me he was making some nice extra cash driving for Uber and Lyft with a Crown Vic.

With the possibility of making close to $500 just working a few days a week I think I want to try but wanted to see what I need to watch out for on these cars.

Avoid 2003 that was the first year for the "4th" generation, they had several minor but not worth the headache issues, especially with the intake manifolds and lighting issues. Retired police cars with super low miles can sometimes be too good to be true. Typically idled for hours on end, chewing up the timing chain gears/gides. Best to find a private old lady owner than a fleet car. With that said, fleet vehicles are usually cheaper. With the fleet vehicles, you want one with as little holes as possible (i.e. ones that did not have light bars). This usually meant it was a detective, state inspector/employee car that was less likely to be abused as much as a standard patrol.

If going with anything 2008 and newer, try and find one that has the flex fuel option for the obvious advantage to run e85.

CVPI had heavier suspention set ups and different gearing than base panther bodies. This could be both good and bad depending on the ride you are after. I personally like the stiffer suspension for handling purposes. They also usually had the basest of base option for amenities and comfort. The Town Cars are the opposite end of the spectrum.

Most people try to avoid the air ride option that the higher end trim levels offer. They are not so expensive to work on as they use to be but they do require more maintenance than coils and springs. Keep in mind, if you're not sure you want the air ride option or traditional springs, its better to buy one with air ride and convert it to standard springs, than the other way around.

Most have a standard 4.6L 2 valve set up. They came with a plastic intake that is prone for cracking with age. It's not a hard fix to replace but around $200-$300 to fix it if it does crack. Or $500-$600 to replace with a ported aluminum upgrade.

Back to fleet vehicles for a sec. The CVPI's all came with a heavy duty alternator (200 amp to run the accessories) that can be pricy to replace if you want to keep it HD, however a standard 140 amp will bolt in its place. They also came with aftermarket power steering and oil coolers that are prone for leaking. Not an expensive fix but still something to consider.

Now back to Grandma's car. If it has been sitting for a while it will have typical flat spot issues in the front end bushings/ball joints. May not be a make or break issue but will cause some squeaking and what not until its refreshed. the control/A arms are prone for rusting on the front of these if it's been stored outside most of it's life.

So engine and drivetrain wise they are all pretty much the same with a few trims having different gearing (mostly in the CVPI or sport options) but otherwise they are the same.

Most of the difference comes down to preferences for creature comforts, cloth vs leather seats. Storage compartments in the armrests, in-dash controls/displays, etc. But outside of that it really comes down to what you want in the car, and checking for usual issues just like any other cars.

If he is going to use it for Uber, then he needs a 2009 or newer as their car requirements are 10 years old or newer (varies state to state so look it up). Also I am pretty sure retired fleet vehicles are a no-go as well, so it would have to be a private car and not an ex-police or ex-taxi.

One thing I can tell you from my days driving a cab is - buy the most fuel efficient vehicle you can. If you are hustling, a 12-14mpg city mileage can eat into your profits quick. I drove an old 9c1 box caprice and it got crap gas mileage.

if a panther is still on the table - my vote is for a Gran Marquis. Very few of them are fleet vehicles, the interiors are nicer than a hose it out crown vic, but they don't have the air suspension problems of the town cars. However, if you are open to anything - I'd consider a tahoe hybrid or some kind of minivan hybrid.

Edited by Geeto67

According to uber in columbus its the 15 year old rule

https://www.uber.com/drive/columbus/vehicle-requirements/

Buy 04 and newer not many issues other then basics that wear, the plastic intakes will crack eventually. Find a 07/08 granda grand marquis ls with leather for those easy cleanups. Orrr buy a p71 cop car but swap in a civilian interior(carpet, seats ect)

Mpg blows balls 21 mixed driving on my 08 grand marquis, but the plus side the cars dead reliable.

I give you one Saturday night driving loud drunk fat chicks around before contemplating life decisions

Sounds like a prime chance to do some hoggin :fuckyeah:

I've thought about my high level of hate for stupid people, but this makes the most sense for me. Being tied down to a specific schedule and having to fight with some turd manager to get days off I needed was really something I didn't want to deal with.

I look at it this way, I'll have some really good stories after carting people around and I can be fake nice long enough to get the job done.

Consider getting a dash cam and a people cam for the back seat. Just in case it may help protect you if anything goes wrong or someone says you were rude. Also it may be great YouTube footage. Double profits

Oh yeah, I do this that will be a must for sure. I'll have to double check the legal side of things to be sure there's no grey area to get me in trouble. Can't post on YouTube, that's how you get in trouble lol.

I've also kicked around getting a Camry since they are tanks and not as rough on gas. It will cost me more on the investment but could be worth it.

Oh yeah, I do this that will be a must for sure. I'll have to double check the legal side of things to be sure there's no grey area to get me in trouble. Can't post on YouTube, that's how you get in trouble lol.

I've also kicked around getting a Camry since they are tanks and not as rough on gas. It will cost me more on the investment but could be worth it.

Cant speak on video recording however as far as audio Ohio is a one-party consent state meaning as long as you are involved in the conversation and you yourself are consenting to be recording its perfectly legal with out the other persons knowing.

Camry might also be a little easier to maneuver around Short North, traffic, BS airport traffic. Gas savings alone are probably huge. Making a dozen runs to the airport would really eat into profit I would imagine.

Plus its just less creepy. I hate getting some POS Crown Vic as an Uber, but its luck of the draw. I do often get a lot of older Mercedes ect...like a C300 ect. I know they are technically in the beater category, but you feel a little more baller getting dropped off in a Merc. Junk or not.

I've thought about my high level of hate for stupid people, but this makes the most sense for me. Being tied down to a specific schedule and having to fight with some turd manager to get days off I needed was really something I didn't want to deal with.

I look at it this way, I'll have some really good stories after carting people around and I can be fake nice long enough to get the job done.

The problem with Uber is the rating system: a driver's pay is now modified based on the rating average they get from riders. If some drunk chick doesn't like you because you're not putting up with some stupid story she's telling you and gives you 1-2 stars, your payout is screwed. Subsequently, if drivers give a rider low stars, that rider may have a hard time getting an Uber in the future, for driver fear that this POS may give them a bad rating and affect their payout. It's symbiotic, but an a-hole can affect your income.

All you have to do is be polite: welcome them in your ride, and wish them bon-voyage when they leave. Maybe make a nice comment about where they're going. "High Street? Where are you off to? Cool! I heard great things about Arch City Tavern. Great food there. Hope you have a fun time." Maybe people want to talk, maybe they won't. But worst case scenario that someone goes missing and the Uber driver is called up by police, it's good to know that you knew they said they were going to a certain location.

- Sirius radio with some nice, non-commercially pop music station is good, or check Pandora/Spotify for Uber stations. No one listens to terrestrial radio.

- A basket of mints or cheap gum is a nice touch.

- I don't need water, thanks.

I looked into Uber-driving our Odyssey a couple of years ago. It's a good gig because of how flexible you'll be.

Make sure to talk to your car insurance people to see what/if they will cover while working.

This as well.

Edited by zeitgeist57
Ins comment is important.

While car guys fantasize about getting an ex-cop car...and Uber is a great way to justify that given their reputations as tanks...

I can't help but think something that's more fuel-efficient is going to be a better way to go. Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata? The 2.4DI gets 30+ city/highway...my parents are on their second Sonata after being lifer-Honda people. The things are cheaper but well put-together. Very economical.

I'd say used Prius, or Ford Escape Hybrid. Look at what other larger cities are using for their Yellow Cab taxi fleets...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Ford-Escape-HYBRID-VERY-NICE-ONLY-47K-MILES/202532338133?hash=item2f27de39d5:g:1GQAAOSwjMtcEb3~:rk:4:pf:1&vxp=mtr&frcectupt=true

Show me a 15-year old or newer car that's sub-50k miles (you're going to be putting miles on this thing) and less than $7500....

While car guys fantasize about getting an ex-cop car...and Uber is a great way to justify that given their reputations as tanks...

I can't help but think something that's more fuel-efficient is going to be a better way to go. Kia Optima/Hyundai Sonata? The 2.4DI gets 30+ city/highway...my parents are on their second Sonata after being lifer-Honda people. The things are cheaper but well put-together. Very economical.

I'd say used Prius, or Ford Escape Hybrid. Look at what other larger cities are using for their Yellow Cab taxi fleets...

948f92fc7c4a5615a0aba07af5885b39.jpg

I use Uber 4-6x a week...no need for a Crown Vic. Just get something that can hold 4 people and something much better on gas- like you said, a Camry or even Accord is perfect. Clay nailed it with some of the nice touches.

Make sure the car doesn't smell like Axe body spray and just stays relatively clean- providing a charger is something I've always appreciated as well.