Recommend a TV

Sully

My living room tv, Samsung 50” LED, took a shit. I think it’s the backlight, but not worth repairing as it’s over 5 years old. It was wall mounted, so I want something that will fit this same mount. I’d like a 50 or 55” 4K tv. Doesn’t have to be a smart tv, but Roku would be ok. I already have an Amazon stick loaded with Kodi, so I definitely don’t want one with Amazon on it. I want to stay under $500. At this point, I might wait until after Christmas, because I think most places have good sales afterwards.

So, my fellow CR technologists, what tv would you recommend that fits my requirements and where would I get the best deal?

I’n that price range : sharp LC-55LBU591U $329 at beat buy is the best good blacks for the money also next would be the Samsung nu7100 $479.99 but I would almost get the sharp Samsung has dropped the ball this year and unless you are stepping up to the 8000 series It’s not worth it.

If you can spend $899 get the lg 9000 backlit you will love it the black almost look like oled and the color is unreal ! Sony 900f is great but it cost more and don’t think your getting anymore out of it good luck

Look @ Slickdeals today. Multiple models on sale including the Samsung (7100) listed above for 300 Peso's.

The Samsung can be bought with or with out a trade in (Even your busted TV) for an additional 50 Rupies:

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/uhd-tvs/50--nu7100-smart-4k-uhd-tv-un50nu7100fxza/?CID=afl-ecomm-cjn-cha-092118-52057&cjevent=9d93ddcc052111e98070014d0a24060e

Edited by Second Gen
Cant spell

I’n that price range : sharp LC-55LBU591U $329 at beat buy is the best good blacks for the money also next would be the Samsung nu7100 $479.99 but I would almost get the sharp Samsung has dropped the ball this year and unless you are stepping up to the 8000 series It’s not worth it.

I was looking at the Best Buy ad this morning. This exact Sharp tv is on sale for $299.99. Almost just want to pull the trigger and go get it today. I just can't see prices being slashed any further after christmas or the new year. I imagine by that time, these tv's will be gone and all that will be left are the new models that are over $900.

Sony or LG. Preference to Sony for color spectrum and reliability. LG is the better of the Korean Brands but Sony still leads the way for accuracy and width of colors. They are pricey but there's a reason.

This. My family only has Sony TVs. I've got a 10 year old 40" that still looks great. Hell, I'd still have my old 27" Vega tube TV if I had room! My dad's got a massive 60" HD tube that's 15 years in his basement that still works well and my brother got a 55" 4k earlier this year that looks crystal clear. I can get the model number from him if you want to look into it yourself.

I was looking at the Best Buy ad this morning. This exact Sharp tv is on sale for $299.99. Almost just want to pull the trigger and go get it today. I just can't see prices being slashed any further after christmas or the new year. I imagine by that time, these tv's will be gone and all that will be left are the new models that are over $900.

$299 is great Jump on it your right by the way they will be gone

I do TV field repair all the time and I see every brand. They all fail and the work I do is within the warranty periods so...

I actually really like Samsung's TV's and have many of them throughout my house.

The next TV I like is Vizio, they are a "USA" company if that matters to you, though I'm sure the parts are made right next to everything else in Asia;-) The better built Vizio's are really impressive with real metal panels instead of plastic.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with the Sharp LC-55LBU591U for $300 and got the 5-yr extended warranty. So far I'm happy with it. I know it's no OLED, but it's an upgrade for me and within my low price range.

• 2 weeks later...
TCL 5 series. Built in Roku, awesome everything. Only way ill get something else is when OLED prices come way down.

I agree, I purchased a 55 UHD 4k TCL and love it... paid under 300 for it. I can't remember the exact price now. This was before Christmas that I purchased it at Microcenter.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at TV's in the $300 to $400 range and this is the best I can find so far.....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-58-class-led-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6296543.p?skuId=6296543

Thoughts?

I know it's a touch out of the price range, but still a good deal just the same. https://www.bigsandysuperstore.com/tv-and-video/tv-specials/tv-specials/55UJ6300%20DELUXEKIT/55-lg-uhd-smartv-with-hdr

The wife and I just bought the OLED version of this, and it has been awesome so far. The OLED is around $600-$650. Plus they offer 1 year 0% interest financing to boot.

I recently upgraded from a Samsung 3D LED to a Samsung QLED 4K with HDR.

I'm very particular on how I like to mount my TVs as flush against the wall as possible, so I use the Samsung picture frame style mounts. All my cables run through the wall behind the TV and it was exactly how I wanted it.

Well Samsung had the bright idea to come up with the "One Connect" box. Good idea in theory, you have one, very thin, wire-like cable connection from the TV to this box, where everything else plugs into. Problem is, wtf do you do with the box if you are going for a clean look?

Luckily the TV curves in a bit on the side, so there was room to stick the box against the wall with some double sided tape behind the TV.

Long story short, amazing looking TV with brilliant picture. I believe they make the best displays in the business. Not a big fan of the One Connect box though, but I'm sure it's fine if you have some kind of table or something below your TV.

Looking at TV's in the $300 to $400 range and this is the best I can find so far.....

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-58-class-led-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6296543.p?skuId=6296543

Thoughts?

So I bought this TV because the reviews were really good, everyone saying how great the picture was for the price, etc. Well one of the reviewers said the picture looked "blurry" to them in the sense that their eyes were strained and they kept blinking in an attempt to get their eyes to focus. That's exactly how I feel watching this TV, the picture looks clear and everything but my eyes don't really know were to focus and it gives me a headache. Is this a common thing with 4K TV's and my eyes just need to adjust?