chrysler 200 S

Johny Utah

I hear the 4 cyl have all the issues.

I have a friend with a 2015 200 S V6 (Same engine/tranny as the V6 Charger/Challenger/300 just detuned) as a daily and he drives the crap out of it.

Got some seat time in it driving to Mexico and it's pretty fun to drive, quick too. He hasn't had any issues with it other than rotors warping.

I had many 200 rental cars over the years and here are my thoughts:

the first gen (up to 2014) were miserable rebadged sebrings that literally fell apart as you drove them. I remember taking one up to an ECTA meet at wilmington with 5000 miles on it and the dash vents fell out of the dashboard on the way there (which we then used to stuff the dash of that rental with fast food containers). everything bad ever said about a 200 usually comes from this gen of car and almost all of it is deserved.

The second gen (2015-2017) was actually a nice sorta well built car. I had 2 rentals, 1 I liked and 1 I didn't care for, neither were an S. It's the same platform as the jeep cherokee, chrysler pacifica, dodge dart, etc...so it's ok. I thought the 4cyl was underpowered which is why I didn't care for it (it was a base model). the v6 limited I drove was much nicer. I have a friend who is not a car person who has a 2015 and he really like his, It's only been in the shop maybe once outside of maintenance.

I was looking at the 4 cy s since it’s quite cheaper and gets pretty good mpg. The S looks good inside and out. I just don’t want a lot of problems of course.

If you google 2.4 tigershark engine (which is the I4 in the 200) you'll see all sorts of complaints about oil consumption, fried starters, failed thermostats, etc...across all the cars that used the engine (dart/200/jeep).

The 3.6L in the 200 is the pentastar they put in the Jeep wrangler. My father has a 2016 with the 3.6 and he hasn't had a single issue with it at all. In fact everyone I know that has the pentastar 3.6L loves it and has had no issues. I have heard of first year (2012) 3.6L having some problems and there was even someone here on the board with one of those early 3.6Ls that had an issue, but I forget who it was.

Bottom line, if it were me, I would look at the V6 car and avoid anything with a tigershark 2.4L I4.

• 2 weeks later...
I can’t decide what to do. I think I want a 2018 Camry XSE 4 cly. I can’t get myself to get ride of my truck though. I don’t like stopping at the gas station all the time though.

Have you considered a Chevy Volt? Not sure what your charging situation is like. But it does have a gas engine so it's the best of both worlds.

I'm approaching 100k miles and the only issue I've had is a headlight going out.

I can’t decide what to do. I think I want a 2018 Camry XSE 4 cly. I can’t get myself to get ride of my truck though. I don’t like stopping at the gas station all the time though.

Nobody WANTS a fucking Camry lol.

Have you considered a Chevy Volt? Not sure what your charging situation is like. But it does have a gas engine so it's the best of both worlds.

I'm approaching 100k miles and the only issue I've had is a headlight going out.

That probably would not work for me.

I dont either. You speak of not wanting to stop for gas....

Camry with a 14.5 gal tank @ 25mpg will get you around 370 miles

Tundra with 26.4 gal tank @ 14mpg will get you the same.

Cost is a non-issue. Gas is cheap and like Clay said, the $30K car isnt.