Jeep as a first vehicle?

xlr8tn

:jerkit: It's a jeep for a 16 year old, not a supercar. Hell, it's not even a super car.

Auto XJs when new were the personal conveyance of new england suburban housewives who don't like volvos, subarus, or saabs, or the "look what daddy bought me" ride of incoming sorority girl freshman at William and Mary circa 1995. Now they are the number 1 reason why people get asked "so, you couldn't find a manual one?"

I have a personal hatred of the jeep AW4 auto trans. They shift lazy, they slip, the solenoids fail, they overheat (esp when four wheeling), and that is on top of the fact they are the most joyless transmissions to drive when they operate right. There is a reason why most people change over to a manual trans or a GM trans when they lift their auto XJs. At the very least, put a bigger trans cooler in the thing if you want it to last.

But raise your kids right - raise them to drive stick.

Auto XJs when new were the personal conveyance of new england suburban housewives who don't like volvos, subarus, or saabs, or the "look what daddy bought me" ride of incoming sorority girl freshman at William and Mary circa 1995. Now they are the number 1 reason why people get asked "so, you couldn't find a manual one?"

find me one in central Ohio in the condition this one is in with a manual for the price I just paid please....ain't gonna happen.

I have a personal hatred of the jeep AW4 auto trans. They shift lazy, they slip, the solenoids fail, they overheat (esp when four wheeling), and that is on top of the fact they are the most joyless transmissions to drive when they operate right. There is a reason why most people change over to a manual trans or a GM trans when they lift their auto XJs. At the very least, put a bigger trans cooler in the thing if you want it to last.
Thankfully this one is in great running order and he's not going to be off road with it. If he was going to do anything like that I'd buy a POS one for him to do it in not this one.

He'll learn.

find me one in central Ohio in the condition this one is in with a manual for the price I just paid please....ain't gonna happen.

Swap it. Plenty of XJs in junkyards with AX15s and NV3550s and the swap is so common there are dozens of instructional videos on youtube. It reuses your transfer case so it's not that big a cost investment, and any home mechanic should be able to do it in a weekend if they have all the parts.

Plus it makes a good father/son bonding project and will increase his confidence in working on stuff because it feels like a big project but is actually simple.

Swap it. Plenty of XJs in junkyards with AX15s and NV3550s and the swap is so common there are dozens of instructional videos on youtube. It reuses your transfer case so it's not that big a cost investment, and any home mechanic should be able to do it in a weekend if they have all the parts.

Plus it makes a good father/son bonding project and will increase his confidence in working on stuff because it feels like a big project but is actually simple.

Good thoughts, but I'd rather leave it as an unmolested stock vehicle for now. If he really likes it and wants to keep it beyond high school then it could be an option if he so chooses.

If he decides he wants something else, It will remain a super clean low mile unit that will surely be a well sought after vehicle (especially stock) for another enthusiast do with as they please vs inheriting someone else's work. I mean it's 18yrs old with 85k on the ODO now. Think about it at 20-21 yrs old.....still in stock form, super clean and likely less than 95k on the ODO. It will still be a HUGE find for someone.

LOL at the service records too. This lady saved everything and did everything it needed and then some. All the major trouble points, which are few, she already had done.

Had a lifted auto XJ for 6 years. Did none of that. Had not one problem. Sold it. That guy didn't have a prob in his 4+ years of ownership. YMMV.

:nod:

• 2 weeks later...

Think I've about talked myself out of a Jeep for him. Finding him a vehicle is proving to be tougher than I thought. I think on paper the Jeep looks better than it does in principle. The frame rust is concerning because it's right in the sweet spot of our price range.

Kinda looking at Tacoma's now.....which incidentally is another vehicle with frame rust issues haha. Before it's over he'll end up in a boring ass s-10 or ranger probably.

We have an old wrangler collecting dust in the garage, we drive it once in a while maybe take the top off on sunny days. I drove it to work a few times and every time got at least one offer to buy it from us.

As much as its "cool" I wouldn't let me kid drive one as a first car. Shitty steering and a high center of gravity are just not a great combination for a first time driver.

Not a good first car, maybe a good second car. Get a newer safer car for the first, it’s not only your child, but all the other friends you will need to keep safe. A wrangler doesn’t do that well