Porsche 911 LOL

zeitgeist57

I continue to follow the used 911 market...would love to buy one at some point in my life. Not planning on it anytime soon given many constraints, especially with regards to the used pricing. Look at this!

1991 Carrera 2 - 104k miles, stick, repainted?, dude...it's not even air-cooled bruh...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-porsche-911-carrera-2-12/

$50,964 and climbing...

2006 Carrera - 14k miles, stick, probably smells awesome on the inside. :)

https://www.blackhorsemotors.com/vehicle-details/2006-porsche-911-carrera-coupe-b0a91034f9761b40a18c08a468dbd223

$48,900 and I'm sure you could knock $1-2k off.

More power, better handling, safer, more efficient....believe me, I have my share of older/junky cars, but why are 964's worth more than a 997? Just a Friday thought...

EDIT: Also, what got me thinking...2007 Carrera S Cabriolet stick with a TPC single-turbo kit (430hp/330ftlb at wheels) and TechArt goodies...:megusta:

https://www.marshallgoldman.com/inventory/used-2007-porsche-911-carrera-s-cabriolet-rear-wheel-drive-coupe-wp0cb29997s776257

Also, 964 LOL memba when they were $15k turds with their own pile of problems, just like the 996s are now? rymeridge farms remembers

Maybe when the stancenation hipsters decide they want good a/c and heat the water cooled cars will skyrocket in value?

Is this like Alpha Romeo you have to own a Porsche to be a car guy? (Then I'm not)

Was watching a Motor trend vid on the newer Carerra last night and the "base one" the guy was hooning around the canyons was having a hard time finding fault w/it its fast has warranty blah blah.

If their asking 50k for a used one wouldn't you go get a new one for 90?

I continue to follow the used 911 market...would love to buy one at some point in my life. Not planning on it anytime soon given many constraints, especially with regards to the used pricing. Look at this!

1991 Carrera 2 - 104k miles, stick, repainted?, dude...it's not even air-cooled bruh...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-porsche-911-carrera-2-12/

$50,964 and climbing...

Cept it is air Cooled.

IMS bearing issue is a lot of "the sky is falling" worry. It affects such a small percentage of cars and the fix is relatively inexpensive. The 996 is hated for the stupid headlights and Ford Taurus spec interior.

Yea since you’ve owned so many of them.

Now that I’ve got a few min, here is a book if you care to read if.

Any time Porsche makes a fundamental change to the 911 purists will cling to the older model causing values to stay quite high.

996 era was the beginning of water cooled cars. It was also the first mass produced 911. I believe that they made more 996’s each year than they made in the whole 3-4 years combined of the 993. Combine the water cooled nature with the ugly “fried egg” headlights and you have a car that the purists hated yet it was wildly successful. The M96 IMS issue is blown way out of proportion. It’s well documented just great it like a timing belt replacement or any other $1k-$1500 maintenance job that so many cars of the era required and it should be a non issue. Personally I don’t think the 996 interior is bad esp compared to older cars even though it’s lacking compared to 997 and newer cars.

So if your not a purist and want a great car, take advantage of the reasons that the 996 and 997 cars are cheap and buy one. Porsche has never made a newer iteration of the car that’s been worse than the one before. Buy the newest one you can afford and rest assure it’s much better than anything before it.

Since theee was a car investment thread recently. One could argue that if you want to dip your toes into the 911 market without losing money that the air cooled cars are the way to go, or modern GT cars, and that can’t be said about 996 and newer “regular” 911’s.

I really want to buy a 911 a few years ago..never owned a porsche but almost did a few times so I was looking VERY hard. Didn't want to spend more that 25-26k as that's what I had saved.

So i looked at the 996 line...yea everyone said it wasn't a real 911 especially the early ones as the head light looked like fried eggs .

Anyway after looking ended up buying my 5th vette.

I am going to disagree about 996 dropping. As I looked for about 18 months I saw them go up slightly and slowly but none the less up.

Good luck on your hunt.

mace

I may be in the minority but I like the 996 interior over the 997.1 interior. The gray center stack and flaky buttons just don't do it for me. The later 997.2 interior esp with full leather is an upgrade, not sure how good the ventilated seats are.

I may be in the minority but I like the 996 interior over the 997.1 interior. The gray center stack and flaky buttons just don't do it for me. The later 997.2 interior esp with full leather is an upgrade, not sure how good the ventilated seats are.

It’s more the ergonomics than the look IMO, the 996 interior doesn’t look bad, but it doesn’t feel as nice as the 997. Seating angles and accessory locations are better in the 997. The IMS issue is an issue that affects cars from 40,000 miles up with little or no warning. If not caught the timing chain breaks and takes out the block and makes it non rebuildable. Used engines are around $10,000, and new ones are $18,000 plus the core that needs to be rebuildable or the core will add another $18,000. Either way you look at it if the IMS fails and wraps the chain up it’s going to be more than the car is worth.

The newer issue is the bore scuffing, which with a nikasil bore isnt good either, boring and replating, or complete rebuild which is $10,000 or so. Either way that’s part of the reason for the concern and car value, I wouldn’t own the car without IMS and cooling fan issues addressed.