Ohio front plate law, again (HB 62)

BuckeyeROC

Also odot has fudged the numbers to get the most money possible.

And have you noticed odot has all but stopped fixing potholes saying they don't have enough money...which is a lie as they have a maintenance budget

All in All it's a screw job to the public...they added the license plate rider as an appeasement to some of us.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn’t have so much an issue with the gas tax except for the current rediculous price increase for premium fuel everywhere now. Typically the best I can find is $0.60/gallon more than 87. That shit is beyond annoying.

GasBuddy helps me find stations that don't have a huge spread like that. There's a couple stations around Tuttle that are usually 0.40 difference.

Also odot has fudged the numbers to get the most money possible.

And have you noticed odot has all but stopped fixing potholes saying they don't have enough money...which is a lie as they have a maintenance budget

All in All it's a screw job to the public...they added the license plate rider as an appeasement to some of us.

This year ODOT barely salted.. UNTIL last weekend when we barely got that much snow, where they dumped so much salt my street was white. It's bullshit and obviously them crying "We don't have enough" through most of the winter, then spending as much as possible at the end to justify their budget request for next year.

So this passed. No more front plate law, right?

This is the latest I've seen. Passed the House but is going to the Ohio Senate Committee...

"The Ohio Senate Transportation, Commerce, and Workforce Committee is beginning consideration of a 10.7-cent increase in the state's gasoline tax Monday afternoon.

Ohio House members passed the increase last week, along with a 20-cent tax increase in diesel.

However, Ohio Department of Transportation Director Jack Marchbanks is trying to convince lawmakers to pass an 18-cent tax increase."

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/debate-over-ohios-gas-tax-moves-to-senate-monday

Last month, I attended an Ohio Bankers League luncheon at the Convention Center. Lt. Gov Jon Husted had a mini "State of the State" address for the group.

He was one of the blandest, uninspiring speakers to listen to. I almost fell asleep, hearing him unconvincingly tell probably 200+ old white guys from various small banks around the state how we would be "the next innovation center" blah blah blah. However, I almost fell out of my seat when he went on to describe the architecture and reasoning for DeWine's 18c/gal gas tax: It was the prior administrations' fault for passing highway bonds that gave Ohio $billions for road infrastructure, which we're going to burn through by July of this year, but we'll be paying interest on until 2048...

Wait, Jon...isn't that YOUR party? Weren't you a part of that problem? :lol:

I couldn't believe part of his sales pitch for the gas tax is that the GOP flubbed on a bond they convinced voters to approve....and then they come back not 3-4 years later and ask for a new use-tax.

Granted, the money need from the gas tax is likely legit - I think we all greatly underestimate the crumbling roads/bridges/tunnels around our state and country - but I'm still flabbergasted by his pitch.

Being a PA resident for a few years now, I'll say this:

1) Fuck raising gas taxes. PA has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation and our roads are just as bad. They keep raising it, and road quality is always a justification, but it's the first source of money to get funneled to unrelated shit. Call your reps and tell them to write into the increase that the money MUST be used for X, Y, and Z reasons only. It'll never fucking happen, but make your voice heard anyway.

2) No front plate is a no brainer. One of my favorite things about this state.

3) I can't believe I'm saying this: Ohio needs statewide annual vehicle safety inspections, and put a use-tax on that for road safety/rebuilding instead of a gas tax. I am always astounded when I drive back to Ohio how many shitboxes with rusted out fenders, missing bumper covers, no exhaust, belching blue smoke, and broken lights there are. I never noticed it until I moved away. DC, MD, VA, and PA all have pretty robust safety inspections, and it is worth the minor inconvenience to do that every year. PA isn't perfect obviously, far from it, but vehicle safety is noticeably better here. 20 year old me can't believe I am saying this, but I now happily support regular inspections.

1) Fuck raising gas taxes. PA has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation and our roads are just as bad. They keep raising it, and road quality is always a justification, but it's the first source of money to get funneled to unrelated shit. Call your reps and tell them to write into the increase that the money MUST be used for X, Y, and Z reasons only. It'll never fucking happen, but make your voice heard anyway.

2) No front plate is a no brainer. One of my favorite things about this state.

3) I can't believe I'm saying this: Ohio needs statewide annual vehicle safety inspections, and put a use-tax on that for road safety/rebuilding instead of a gas tax. I am always astounded when I drive back to Ohio how many shitboxes with rusted out fenders, missing bumper covers, no exhaust, belching blue smoke, and broken lights there are. I never noticed it until I moved away. DC, MD, VA, and PA all have pretty robust safety inspections, and it is worth the minor inconvenience to do that every year. PA isn't perfect obviously, far from it, but vehicle safety is noticeably better here. 20 year old me can't believe I am saying this, but I now happily support regular inspections.

But, Racecar??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

But, Racecar??

I know, I know. Hasn't seemed to effect that business in the slightest. Modern cars that are built well don't have a problem passing, and older cars get to skip the inspection if they have a Historic plate. My two Mustangs both have Historic plates, so they're not subject to inspection. In fact, Historic plates don't even need renewed -- I pay a one time fee of like $85 forever for the life of the vehicle.

Ninja edit: Historic plates do restrict the amount of time the vehicle can be driven, so they're not for daily drivers -- which is the point. Enthusiasts get to enthuse, everyone gets to not drive unsafe shitboxes.

Edited by excell

I thought the additional tax was a road tax. Would diesel for a boat have the tax added to it?

Sorry...I didn't specify. I only run diesel in my truck...the boat takes premium. A SHIT TON of premium. :lol: But to that end...I'm fairly certain the additional gas tax will still be applied to on the water marinas. So all of Erie, etc. I have boat friends that live in MI and come to PIB and such and will only get gas here because of the additional tax they pay at their home ports.

Rich people problems. :lol:

I own a boat...which is why I'll never be rich! lol.

There is no argument that our roads suck. But to Chris' point a few posts above...having just driven through PA this weekend, I can attest that the roads there are just as bad (if not worse!) then here. And yes, their fuel costs are much higher than ours. I'd be much less angry about this additional tax if all the additional funds would 100% be used to fix the roads and bridges. I just don't buy it that the money will be spent that way so I'm just bitching :cool:

I'll still be on the water every weekend possible.

-Marc

I can't believe I'm saying this: Ohio needs statewide annual vehicle safety inspections, and put a use-tax on that for road safety/rebuilding instead of a gas tax. I am always astounded when I drive back to Ohio how many shitboxes with rusted out fenders, missing bumper covers, no exhaust, belching blue smoke, and broken lights there are. I never noticed it until I moved away. DC, MD, VA, and PA all have pretty robust safety inspections, and it is worth the minor inconvenience to do that every year. PA isn't perfect obviously, far from it, but vehicle safety is noticeably better here. 20 year old me can't believe I am saying this, but I now happily support regular inspections.

I 100% agree with Chris here. It's funny how my 20-yo self wanted to skirt emissions testing because I thought running without cats is cool, but especially the last couple of years I've "matured" (gotten older) in my thinking and a $200 PCM tune will make my car run far better than lopping off cats and calling it a day.

Now, the holes in my '79 Lincoln's cats? PO did it...I don't know how those got there. :) However, to Chris' point, historical tags FTW. I'm not driving the old cars more than 3k miles a year anyway.

Growing up there, there hasn't been much changes/improvements around there except when they finally finished Rt. 28 (which still sucks north of Rt. 8) and when they were forced to fix bridges after that one collapsed in Minnesota years ago.

I 100% agree with Chris here. It's funny how my 20-yo self wanted to skirt emissions testing because I thought running without cats is cool, but especially the last couple of years I've "matured" (gotten older) in my thinking and a $200 PCM tune will make my car run far better than lopping off cats and calling it a day.

Now, the holes in my '79 Lincoln's cats? PO did it...I don't know how those got there. :) However, to Chris' point, historical tags FTW. I'm not driving the old cars more than 3k miles a year anyway.

And honestly, it's not that hard to skirt. If you want to do mods like removing your cats, a well tuned car could have hollowed out cats and still pass easily. At least in Allegheny County where I am, they do a visual safety inspection of the outside of the vehicle, check for proper function of signals/lights, inspect the suspension/engine/transmission/brakes/etc. for worn items and good function, and then do a smog check to make sure it's still above whatever emissions standards which as I understand are pretty forgiving. I got banged last year for having red-tinted license plate bulbs. :lol: But it's not like they're dropping the exhaust or anything to check for the honeycomb. A high quality modded car should have no trouble passing. The whole thing is pretty painless and costs $42, would gladly pay more for a directly guaranteed funding source for road costs.

Growing up there, there hasn't been much changes/improvements around there except when they finally finished Rt. 28 (which still sucks north of Rt. 8) and when they were forced to fix bridges after that one collapsed in Minnesota years ago.

Ain't no joke about that. Pittsburgh's road system is royally fucked compared to the relative flatness of Columbus and the pristine organization of DC, though I am starting to get used to it. :)

Ain't no joke about that. Pittsburgh's road system is royally fucked compared to the relative flatness of Columbus and the pristine organization of DC, though I am starting to get used to it. :)

Columbus is getting there. A lot of busy secondary roads are chewed up already. Probably have to go back to getting yearly alignments again.

Columbus is getting there. A lot of busy secondary roads are chewed up already. Probably have to go back to getting yearly alignments again.

I was just in town last weekend, and couldn't believe how bad it was actually. Even the freeways are seriously chewed up.

• 4 weeks later...