Dewine declares state of emergency over road conditions

BIGGU

https://www.10tv.com/article/governor-declares-state-emergency-over-road-damage-2019-mar

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine has declared a state of emergency in 37 Ohio counties that received serious highway damage from severe weather.

The Republican governor said in a release this week that the emergency declaration will allow the state Department of Transportation and local governments to access federal emergency relief funds to help with the costs of repairs.

The release says the counties included in the declaration suffered damage to roads and/or bridges from severe weather that started in February and included heavy rain and flooding.

DeWine said in the statement that many of the roads are in dangerous condition, "impacting the safety of Ohio's drivers."

The release says some roads still have lane restrictions or are completely closed.

Fucking LOL.

For the record, I'd be fine with an 18c fuel tax increase if they could guarantee that all of it will go to infrastructure repair, and not diverted to other pet projects. Our roads are fucking atrocious. I don't know what it is about Ohio, but even the newly paved shit doesn't last for more than a couple years or so. The south side of 270 was completely redone a few years ago and its already falling apart. I don't get it.

For the record, I'd be fine with an 18c fuel tax increase if they could guarantee that all of it will go to infrastructure repair, and not diverted to other pet projects. Our roads are fucking atrocious. I don't know what it is about Ohio, but even the newly paved shit doesn't last for more than a couple years or so. The south side of 270 was completely redone a few years ago and its already falling apart. I don't get it.

I wonder if it's all the salt on the roads or a new concrete mix that is garbage. The problem with the fuel tax, is lower income people will struggle even more to go to more affluent areas for work.

There is already tax on gas, vehicle registration, and lots of tickets paid every year, why can’t they find money to fix roads? Serious question.

Not to mention they dont want to get rid of front plates to save 1 million+ dollars a year.

I wasn't sure if this was satire.

I think we should move to a mileage tax on registrations and do away with the fuel tax. More efficient cars use less gas but tear up the road just as much or more than they use to. Only real downside is a registration tax doesn't grab interstate traffic that contributes to messing up the roads. Maybe keep a diesel tax but do away with the gasoline.

Maybe keep a diesel tax but do away with the gasoline.

Yea but the problem with that is they are going after heavy trucks with that tax but people with a diesel car are going to get screwed over. Granted after the whole diesel gate there are alot less diesel cars on the road but still we are going to be getting screwed over by this.

I wasn't sure if this was satire.

I think we should move to a mileage tax on registrations and do away with the fuel tax. More efficient cars use less gas but tear up the road just as much or more than they use to. Only real downside is a registration tax doesn't grab interstate traffic that contributes to messing up the roads. Maybe keep a diesel tax but do away with the gasoline.

I disagree. This would only help those who work in big cities areas. Guys like me, who drive 30-40k a year in state would get screwed. Also a diesel only tax would likely push over the road transportation business out if the state.

I think we need to look at the materials we are using in our infastructure and maintaining them. I use to sell the state their plow blades, and I can tell you that a 1-1/2" thick piece of forged steel dragging across a asphalt road isn't extending the life of our roads.