Any USPSA shooters here?

jerrodh

Just wondering. Went to my first "intro" event in my area. just wondering who's out there if you got any pointers, recommended websites, gear, etc.

Currently looking at shooting the Carry Optics Division based on current gear. :gabe:

I used to run Production with a G34. I enjoyed it but never spent as much time doing it as I really wanted to. I was running through a serious amount of ammo for awhile and it got quite expensive despite me handloading everything in bulk. I was running anywhere from ~700-1000rd/week just in practice for awhile.

Tips:

-Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire. It's free and its amazing how much you can improve even though your not firing an actual round. I met with Steve Anderson to get some pointers from him prior to dipping my toes in the water. Super nice guy. Buy his drill books if he still offers them. I believe he works at Vances in Obetz now. Also a USPSA Grand Master...

-Buy a Dillon XL650 or 1050 if you don't have one already. Then buy your components in bulk (like, 10,000+ at a time). That's truly the cheapest way to do it and you'll probably be blowing through it if you get serious about it.

-Get some good shoes, possibly cleats. Don't focus all of your attention on the shooting part. An amazing amount of time can be save just in your footwork and stage planning.

-Shoot Steel Challenge if you can as well. It's fun, and makes for great additional practice.

-Show up early to matches to help setup and stay late to help break stuff down. Believe me, you'll make some friends doing this.

-Get a rule book and read it. Then, read it again.

-Have fun. BE SAFE. You're gonna get DQ'd at some point. Don't take it personally. Learn from it. Despite a bunch of people running around with loaded guns, it's one of the safest 'sports' out there, and for good reason. There are rules, follow them.

Enjoy! Post up pics of your setup if you have them.

These matches sound fun. I have not done one. Everyone I have shot with that does these says the same thing though. Competition is fun. It's time consuming and money consuming. There is always another piece of gear you want to get. You chase your ranking in a group and in the end, you are good among other people that are good too. But, it's fun.

I've attended an intro class/event out in the Youngstown area. I'm actually in Cleveland so not really local anymore unfortunately.

I drive to Dynamic Shooting sports sometimes. They are South East of Akron. They hold USPSA matches twice a month. Two flights. So you could shoot twice if you wanted. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

I drive to Dynamic Shooting sports sometimes. They are South East of Akron. They hold USPSA matches twice a month. Two flights. So you could shoot twice if you wanted. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon.

Oh cool! thats exactly where I took my intro to practical shooting class. Will have to meet up there sometime if you end up going to an event. There is a club closer to Cleveland I was going to check out but Dynamic shooting definitely seems to know what they are doing and have a lot of knowledgeable and helpful guys.

I used to run Production with a G34. I enjoyed it but never spent as much time doing it as I really wanted to. I was running through a serious amount of ammo for awhile and it got quite expensive despite me handloading everything in bulk. I was running anywhere from ~700-1000rd/week just in practice for awhile.

Tips:

-Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire. It's free and its amazing how much you can improve even though your not firing an actual round. I met with Steve Anderson to get some pointers from him prior to dipping my toes in the water. Super nice guy. Buy his drill books if he still offers them. I believe he works at Vances in Obetz now. Also a USPSA Grand Master...

-Buy a Dillon XL650 or 1050 if you don't have one already. Then buy your components in bulk (like, 10,000+ at a time). That's truly the cheapest way to do it and you'll probably be blowing through it if you get serious about it.

-Get some good shoes, possibly cleats. Don't focus all of your attention on the shooting part. An amazing amount of time can be save just in your footwork and stage planning.

-Shoot Steel Challenge if you can as well. It's fun, and makes for great additional practice.

-Show up early to matches to help setup and stay late to help break stuff down. Believe me, you'll make some friends doing this.

-Get a rule book and read it. Then, read it again.

-Have fun. BE SAFE. You're gonna get DQ'd at some point. Don't take it personally. Learn from it. Despite a bunch of people running around with loaded guns, it's one of the safest 'sports' out there, and for good reason. There are rules, follow them.

Enjoy! Post up pics of your setup if you have them.

Thanks for the pointers. I picked up some snapcaps for dry firing and once my belt setup is in I'm going to practice reloads and dryfires. Sure my wife will be thrilled lol...

Oh cool! thats exactly where I took my intro to practical shooting class. Will have to meet up there sometime if you end up going to an event. There is a club closer to Cleveland I was going to check out but Dynamic shooting definitely seems to know what they are doing and have a lot of knowledgeable and helpful guys.

They really do. It's Scott's goal to run a level 2 quality match, even though they are only level 1. Plus not having to set up or tear down is huge.

Thanks for the pointers. I picked up some snapcaps for dry firing and once my belt setup is in I'm going to practice reloads and dryfires. Sure my wife will be thrilled lol...

Make sure to get a shot timer with a par function. She'll love it.

I shot with a group that called themselves a defensive pistol club, but it was pretty much USPSA. I like the concept of USPSA, but prefer IDPA. A little more practical IMO.

I'm sure I'll get into IDPA at some point too going to focus on USPSA for now. From the little I've scene the IDPA does seem more 'normal defensive' situational.

Make sure to get a shot timer with a par function. She'll love it.

:lolguy: Good idea!