Anyone with a 2012+ F150 ecoboost?

Stampede

i have an 18 stx crew cab 4x4 with 20s 2.7tt sees 12ish towing 5k lbs. trailer off and moderate acceleration avgs 19/21... ish straight freeway will see 24ish

Stx is a nice appearance package to a base xl truck. Gives you the 8" touch screen

Edited by TurboRust

Get a 15+, preferably 16+ for the better touchscreen.

11-14's have rust issues, the rear windows tend to explode when you turn on the defroster, 4wd engagement motors tend to go bad and half-engage the front hubs giving you a horrible grinding noise, seat heaters and random electronics like to go bad early, the turbos were pretty laggy those years, 2011's specifically had intercooler issues with water vapor causing misfires, and the slip yoke on the drive shaft wasn't lubed from the factory so it'll eventually start sticking and cause a jolt when you gas it from a stop (the Raptors' were nickel-plated, making them slicker). Other than random shit like that they are fun trucks to drive but the newer models in 2015 were so much better.

11-14's have rust issues, the rear windows tend to explode when you turn on the defroster, 4wd engagement motors tend to go bad and half-engage the front hubs giving you a horrible grinding noise, seat heaters and random electronics like to go bad early, the turbos were pretty laggy those years, 2011's specifically had intercooler issues with water vapor causing misfires, and the slip yoke on the drive shaft wasn't lubed from the factory so it'll eventually start sticking and cause a jolt when you gas it from a stop (the Raptors' were nickel-plated, making them slicker). Other than random shit like that they are fun trucks to drive but the newer models in 2015 were so much better.

2013 used to actually pull many times and haul on the reg rather than just mall crawl. Never had any of these issues. YMMV.

2013 used to actually pull many times and haul on the reg rather than just mall crawl. Never had any of these issues. YMMV.

I was in all the F150 groups when I had mine and was just listing off all the usual stuff that I saw over and over again.

I was in all the F150 groups when I had mine and was just listing off all the usual stuff that I saw over and over again.

Ah...so what a bunch of pleebs that also didn't use theirs put online and not personal experience? Got it. :lol:

Well, I don't belong to "all the F150 groups", so take that for what it's worth, OP. YMMV.

On the for real and joking with NB aside, good and bad with anything as usual. We've used ours a lot and hauled a lot. Never a prob, no rust, no issue at all in a 2013 3.5L. That's all I can speak for.

Pretty much summed it up with my only counter is I don't feel my truck is laggy, and I don't have rust issues because TX. All the other things listed I have experienced, + blend motor problems causing heat on one side but not the other. I haven't tackled it yet, but it's gonna be a PITA.

Had a 2013 FX4 with the 3.5. Probably the worst vehicle I've owned. Rear defroster quit, 3.5 was erratic and laggy, the underside had more rust than an abandoned shipwreck, all 4 shocks and struts leaked and had to be replaced, blend door actuator, both bumpers were repainted due to rust bubbles, noisy belts, parking brake disintegrated. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. This was all on a truck that had less than 60k, and was only 4.5 years old when I got rid of it. I took care of it, kept the salt off of it so there's no excuse for that new of a vehicle to have rust issues. I can only imagine what it looks like now. My brother has a 2016 with the 5.0. I've driven it several times and it feels like a much better truck in every way.

My DD is a 12 3.5 that I bought new and have had 66k trouble free miles.

My MPG is terrible at 12 to 14 but that is because I have a 6 inch lift, spinning 35 inch tires, tons of performance mods and I drive with a heavy foot as well, plus zero freeway miles, all in town.

Tunes make a huge difference on the 3.5 and 2.7 ecoboost engines so definitely consider looking into that if you do end up getting one. I have 3 other friends with 11 on up 3.5 trucks and nobody has had any big problems beyond normal wear and tear stuff.

Sold my 2014 Tremor because the rust issues had become evident. Well, that and I had had it for like a whole year. It was 4 years old and had 41K on it. Rust on both bumpers, tailgate and doors.

I sold my 8.1l Silverado and bought a 2018 3.5 EB. 16,000 miles so far, and no issues. 22mpg highway and 17mpg in the city. Towing my trailer with my side by side through the Smokey’s, I got 12-14 mpg. Towing the boat a bit this weekend for the first time, so we will see. I have followed a bunch of pages and have not run into big mechanical issues. Some people have had their doors stop latching, but it has been covered by ford.

I have a 14 3.5 xlt screw that has 68k miles. It was a Canadian truck and has no rust. Only issue I've had with it is a wire chaffed on the alternator harness that caused the battery light to come on. I get 17mpg mostly in town. Usually will do low 20s on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Had a 2013 FX4 with the 3.5. Probably the worst vehicle I've owned. Rear defroster quit, 3.5 was erratic and laggy, the underside had more rust than an abandoned shipwreck, all 4 shocks and struts leaked and had to be replaced, blend door actuator, both bumpers were repainted due to rust bubbles, noisy belts, parking brake disintegrated. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. This was all on a truck that had less than 60k, and was only 4.5 years old when I got rid of it. I took care of it, kept the salt off of it so there's no excuse for that new of a vehicle to have rust issues. I can only imagine what it looks like now. My brother has a 2016 with the 5.0. I've driven it several times and it feels like a much better truck in every way.

Dad bought his 2013 new and had not a single one of these problems. It has zero rust or any of these to this day. Maybe it's an owner thing. The 5.0 is straight lol. It feels like "a much better truck" in that it's lazy and lags. What's the eng have to do with rust, a rear defroster, shocks and struts, bumpers, belts, and a parking brake? El. Oh. El. Nothing. That's the answer for inquiring minds.

My DD is a 12 3.5 that I bought new and have had 66k trouble free miles.

My MPG is terrible at 12 to 14 but that is because I have a 6 inch lift, spinning 35 inch tires, tons of performance mods and I drive with a heavy foot as well, plus zero freeway miles, all in town.

Tunes make a huge difference on the 3.5 and 2.7 ecoboost engines so definitely consider looking into that if you do end up getting one. I have 3 other friends with 11 on up 3.5 trucks and nobody has had any big problems beyond normal wear and tear stuff.

There's good info from an informed owner and honest to boot. The MPG's is perplexing. We see, on long vacay's, 21-24 MPG. With towing a 2,500 lb trailer PLUS load we don't hit NEAR 11-14. Something may be off or just YMMV. Shrug.jif.

Sold my 2014 Tremor because the rust issues had become evident. Well, that and I had had it for like a whole year. It was 4 years old and had 41K on it. Rust on both bumpers, tailgate and doors.

Sold my 2013 3.5L STR F-150 because the rust was horrible on it for a truck with only 58k miles. Other than the rust, it was a solid vehicle.

I've known both of these fellas for a very long time and I know they take great care of their vehicles. The rust issue HAS to be from buying used and p.o. treatment. Dad's 2013 still has not one single rust spot on the body or frame and it's parked and driven outside its entire life.

I know, I know. It's dad's truck, not mine. I know this is kinda a "ford's suck" environment. I just don't see it personally. We beat the ever loving shit out of trucks. We've had Chevy's, Ford's, Dodge's, and Nissan's, from a VAST age/year range. In our experience, aside from the vintage/classics ('49-'78) the Ford's have never let us down (and even our vintage/classiv Ford's haven't let us down, saying that all the old trucks are fairly equal), always performed, and NEVER been an issue with actually doing truck duties on the regular. YMMV.

[ForrestGump]That's all I have to say about that.[/ForrestGump]

Dad bought his 2013 new and had not a single one of these problems. It has zero rust or any of these to this day. Maybe it's an owner thing. The 5.0 is straight lol. It feels like "a much better truck" in that it's lazy and lags. What's the eng have to do with rust, a rear defroster, shocks and struts, bumpers, belts, and a parking brake? El. Oh. El. Nothing. That's the answer for inquiring minds.

So the guy that agrees with you is an informed owner, and I'm not because I have a differing view? I took OP's question as wanting to know about the entire platform, not just the engine. I was just trying to give (in my opinion) useful feedback from my experience. If OP didn't care to read my comments he could move on.

There's good info from an informed owner and honest to boot. The MPG's is perplexing. We see, on long vacay's, 21-24 MPG. With towing a 2,500 lb trailer PLUS load we don't hit NEAR 11-14. Something may be off or just YMMV. Shrug.jif.

I've known both of these fellas for a very long time and I know they take great care of their vehicles. The rust issue HAS to be from buying used and p.o. treatment. Dad's 2013 still has not one single rust spot on the body or frame and it's parked and driven outside its entire life.

I know, I know. It's dad's truck, not mine. I know this is kinda a "ford's suck" environment. I just don't see it personally. We beat the ever loving shit out of trucks. We've had Chevy's, Ford's, Dodge's, and Nissan's, from a VAST age/year range. In our experience, aside from the vintage/classics ('49-'78) the Ford's have never let us down (and even our vintage/classiv Ford's haven't let us down, saying that all the old trucks are fairly equal), always performed, and NEVER been an issue with actually doing truck duties on the regular. YMMV.

I owed the Tremor prior to Mitch. I bought it with 25K miles on it. It had rust even then. Never owed a truck that had frame rust and bubbles under the paint that wasn't 20 years old with 200K miles on it. You're argument over the "PO treatment" is invalid.

Dude just shut the fuck up.

So the guy that agrees with you is an informed owner, and I'm not because I have a differing view? I took OP's question as wanting to know about the entire platform, not just the engine. I was just trying to give (in my opinion) useful feedback from my experience. If OP didn't care to read my comments he could move on.

Fair enough and my bad. I tend to forget not everyone knows me in person and text doesn't convey emotion. Truth be told it was late and I was multitasking. Didn't mean to offend in anyway but I did chuckle since OP asked about trouble with the Ecoboost and mileage and everyone ranted on about how much Ford's suck. :) My bad man. Your post was relevant overall in that you were discussing other issues involving ownership of the truck.

I owed the Tremor prior to Mitch. I bought it with 25K miles on it. It had rust even then. Never owed a truck that had frame rust and bubbles under the paint that wasn't 20 years old with 200K miles on it. You're argument over the "PO treatment" is invalid.

Jesse, you're right. You also have chatted with me before and know I quite often troll, am sarcastic, etc. I've talked with Mitch about the Tremor's rust in person. The tailgate did have a little. Never looked at the frame. I didn't think it was terrible rust but it was odd that it was happening at all.

To that note I've owned and seen vehicles of all makes and models start to rust in short order. Shrug.jif.

...but you bought it used so it was prob due to how the PO treated it. :gabe:

BUT BUT BUT MUH PAW OWNS ONE SO FROD IS AWSUM YER ALL WRONG

Triggered.

I legit wanted to be a Ford fan but after my Mustang and F150 experiences I just can't. All cars suck to an extent but Ford quality is simply abysmal.

Fair enough. I've owned Ford, Chevy, and Dodge trucks. IMHO Ford trucks are all around better. It is what it is. Personal experiences and tender feelings will vary. Some folks get REALLY mad if you tell them you've had great experiences over decades of using something and they had a bad one apparently. :lol:Simmer all. Another joke.

Can't speak on the Mustang issue and I know NB said his rattled and felt cheap. I've never owned one.

Dude just shut the fuck up.

Nah. :gtfo:

When did you own a Mustang?

Own cheap tee-ruks = not disappointed in tee-ruk quality/reliability issues.

It was the '13 mitchstang. He bought it new, put 4k babied miles on it, then jet autoed it. I traded a couple things towards it (commander and contour svt) and owned it for a year. The transmission grinded into gear from the factory, had three different hidden rattles, and the engine started sporadically ticking (Google "the mustang tick", it's a thing) so it was time to go. I wanted something with non-prius tires and a track pack of sorts. The stock '15+ mustang performance packages didn't impress me as much as the camaro's 1LE package did, and here I am 3.5 still-happy years later.