Whisky

Robochan

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Class Six has had a supply of Angel's Envy lately at $48 a bottle. I don't think that's a great price but I don't know how hard it is to find, so if anyone's interested I can grab some tomorrow.
At the defense center? I picked up a bottle of mount gay double cask there. They had an ok selection for the size of the store, I wondered if they could order requests.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

At the defense center? I picked up a bottle of mount gay double cask there. They had an ok selection for the size of the store, I wondered if they could order requests.

Wright Patt. They have good prices on the volume sellers but I've never been impressed with the selection. I haven't asked about special orders.

I did pick up a bottle of Whistle Pig 10 year rye there today but after checking online I probably shouldn't have bothered.

Wright Patt. They have good prices on the volume sellers but I've never been impressed with the selection. I haven't asked about special orders.

I did pick up a bottle of Whistle Pig 10 year rye there today but after checking online I probably shouldn't have bothered.

it might have been near the same price but you saved on shipping

Why shouldn't you have bothered?

I'm sure it's good and I guess Mace is right, after tax and shipping it probably wasn't a bad price, but it doesn't seem like it was a rare score or a great price. I do probably need a few "guest tasting" bottles but I'm more about the $23 bottles of Woodford they sometimes have and going through them faster than my wife thinks is healthy. Just had a bit of a FOMO moment in the store when I saw it up there and it was the only bottle left.

Ah.

IMO Whistelpig is worth it so long as you're not paying secondary.

Woodford was my first true bourbon I ever sipped on neat and I've grown to love the double oaked and many other offerings. Hard to beat for the price. I've also found others I like just as much or more in the price range.

Being able to sample and review SO much the last few years (and watching my palette expand/change as it continues to do) has been fun.

While the WP is readily avail it's not a bad rye at all. I like it. Don't feel bad about that one. It's a solid pour at the price.

I'm sure it's good and I guess Mace is right, after tax and shipping it probably wasn't a bad price, but it doesn't seem like it was a rare score or a great price. I do probably need a few "guest tasting" bottles but I'm more about the $23 bottles of Woodford they sometimes have and going through them faster than my wife thinks is healthy. Just had a bit of a FOMO moment in the store when I saw it up there and it was the only bottle left.

I got to participate in a single barrel pick of the the 10-year last month. Never having had any WhistlePig before and just started dipping into ryes, I enjoyed it very much. Two of the three samples were very good, while one was a bit underwhelming. I also got to try a previous pick and it was good as well. I can’t wait to get my bottle though. The one we all unanimously picked was excellent.

Guess what I’m saying is after trying various barrels, I think you have a good shot at enjoying the bottle you bought.

It's funny you all are talking about whistle pig. My son asked if I had ever heard of it and I said no.

So my question is how does it compare to Angels Envy, which I love?

You say it's pretty easy to get? I've never seen it here in grovetucky. I usually go to the kroger on 665.

It's funny you all are talking about whistle pig. My son asked if I had ever heard of it and I said no.

So my question is how does it compare to Angels Envy, which I love?

You say it's pretty easy to get? I've never seen it here in grovetucky. I usually go to the kroger on 665.

Angels envy rye is rum finished (and delicious), so whistle pig will be very different. Less sweet.

Tater scotch or ? https://www.drinkhacker.com/2020/05/15/review-kirkland-speyside-single-malt-22-years-old-sherry-cask-finish/

I,m a bit partial to anything from this part of the world and honestly happy to snag something local at Costco.

I heard it was good.

I also think this is the antithesis of "tater".

That 3 pack sampler I posted a page or 2 back was from 665 Kroger and they had a few other full bottles. I see it there often. Top right IIRC.

Shifting gears:

Stop Wasting Your Money on Bourbon That’s Too Old

That 3 pack sampler I posted a page or 2 back was from 665 Kroger and they had a few other full bottles. I see it there often. Top right IIRC.

Shifting gears:

Stop Wasting Your Money on Bourbon That’s Too Old

thanks..that was quite an article...did you see the article I posted about the 40/20 year old BT ? Maybe that's why they stopped it at 20

Speaking of “bourbon too old”. I am an oak whore. Most will say bourbon Is beat at about 8-10 years. And typically, to me, anything under 7 years tastes super young. And (also typically) anything under 8/9 years still tastes young to me. I have had plenty of wonderful 7-12 year bourbons. But I still chase things (that many would consider over-oaked) in that 14-20 year realm. That’s my sweet spot. I love that dark, oaky, dark fruit flavor.

Just my opinion obviously, but the more in-tune my palate became, the more I could pick out the “youth” of the whiskey and was turned off.

As a disclaimer, my palate is at the point where I can notice even the smallest nuances. I call it a natural curse of consequence. Not bragging.

Bob did you have the Sam Houston 14 or Remus Repeal VI? I thought those were some of my best purchases for the money this year with regard to older bourbons. Nothing flashy or ultra rare, but great flavor for the money.

If you like oak age so much I’m surprised you’re not bigger into old scotch.

Kirkland scotch is supposed to be solid, but can we get it here? I didn’t think they sold anything stronger than wine in Ohio Costco because of our state controlled inventory?

I will find out,saw a ad for it in their magazine gets delivered so possibly needs ordered ?

Kirkland scotch is supposed to be solid, but can we get it here? I didn’t think they sold anything stronger than wine in Ohio Costco because of our state controlled inventory?

Correct, will have to go to another state to get it from costco. I believe there is one not too far into KY. or find someone to ship it to you.

Bob did you have the Sam Houston 14 or Remus Repeal VI? I thought those were some of my best purchases for the money this year with regard to older bourbons. Nothing flashy or ultra rare, but great flavor for the money.

If you like oak age so much I’m surprised you’re not bigger into old scotch.

I have not had either. Would love to try them.

As for scotch, i like things like kavalan barrel proof single barrels (port, sherry, etc). But, i don't get oak. Also, for oaky scotch... I don't get the sweetness I yearn for in bourbon. oaky scotch is dry like oaky wine (for the one's i've experienced).