Whisky

Robochan

I haven't had the others. I REALLY like the Black Barrel because it's finished in bourbon barrels.
I actually grabbed the black barrel when you suggested it to me. I really like it as well. I also snagged a couple bottles of the double cask which is also good.366880051e17a31e3726df3a1c7783a3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These have been good. I've had the 10 and 12 year (finishing the 12 as I type this). The 15 year is on deck. Got this pack for $20 at Kroger on 665 in Grove City a couple of weeks ago.

128597111-788900984989708-2305292563879506859-n.jpg

I saw those a few weeks ago. A lot of people like WP. I’ve been trying to get my father-in-law to open up his 15 year that he got a few years ago. He doesn’t want to open it since it’s such an expensive bottle. :rolleyes:

I haven't had the others. I REALLY like the Black Barrel because it's finished in bourbon barrels.

I got the Zacapa Edicion Negra and it's exactly like what you are describing. It's quite a bit more expensive than the Mount Gay Black Barrel though. I think I described it to a friend who likes both rum and whisky as 25% of the way from a rum to a whisky. Zacapa 23 was my daily drive rum in Japan, rum availability there was really low and this was one of the few good ones. I need to get a bottle of it here. And I want to get the ZacapaXO and do a tasting with all 3.

I'll have to try the negra, I used to drink Zacapa all the time in Smith and Wolensky's rum old fashioned.

I have a bottle of XO and I am not a fan. I know it's pretty popular, but I just don't care for it. It definitely has a big bite for an aged rum.

Nice, I've heard good things about the pig. Tough to beat $20 if it's any good.

10/10. Would buy again.

I saw those a few weeks ago. A lot of people like WP. I’ve been trying to get my father-in-law to open up his 15 year that he got a few years ago. He doesn’t want to open it since it’s such an expensive bottle. :rolleyes:

I get that folks collect things but good bourbon and whiskey was meant to be enjoyed. Alone, with friends, whatever. The 15 was great. Only one I hadn't had of the 3 before this.

Zacapa 23 was my daily drive rum in Japan, rum availability there was really low and this was one of the few good ones. I need to get a bottle of it here. And I want to get the ZacapaXO and do a tasting with all 3.

Looks readily avail here. I'll have to keep an eye out.

1I get that folks collect things but good bourbon and whiskey was meant to be enjoyed. Alone, with friends, whatever. The 15 was great. Only one I hadn't had of the 3 before this.

He does drink Evan Williams and Eagle Rare. He just doesn't want to open it because of what is costs in stores. He got it as a gift, so he's got $0.00 invested. :shrug:

One day.......

He does drink Evan Williams and Eagle Rare. He just doesn't want to open it because of what is costs in stores. He got it as a gift, so he's got $0.00 invested. :shrug:

One day.......

Does he have a note worthy collection? These bottles are pretty easy to get ahold of and sit on most shelves because of the high retail price. Its def a "gift bottle" because they are "expensive", but not to the point that it shouldn't be opened.

Does he have a note worthy collection? These bottles are pretty easy to get ahold of and sit on most shelves because of the high retail price. Its def a "gift bottle" because they are "expensive", but not to the point that it shouldn't be opened.

Nope. He has those three bottles. My brother in law and I have much bigger collections. I keep telling him to open it and drink it, but he won’t listen. I think I’ll force him to when our second kid is born in April.

Well boys, I never thought I'd be a cherry snob but if you don't have luxardos for your old fashioned, your not doing it right! [emoji1787].

The fabri aren't bad at all, but are more of a tart black cherry. Pretty good in straight bourbon with a splash of water.

3f454bf395c628df4ed7d88d3b8f9fcb.jpg

Grabbed some new bottles from a couple new distillery's while on vacay in TN this past week but caught these readily avail (actually that little liquor store connected to a gas station on the KY/TN line had a LOT of things readily avail). Pretty excited for the MMPS Store Pick.

130231322-3867505809939812-5293495345162247422-o.jpg

With a buddy on vacation and doing some tastings and comparisons. One of the more interesting was a rye flight with Pikesville, Whistlepig 10, and Willett 4yr. We did that one blind with the help of our wives. Our impressions were that the Whistlepig was trash, I was glad I bought a small sampler and didn’t drop $85 on a full size bottle. The Willett was the winner being super complex and seemed to have something new on the pallet with each sip. The surprise was the Pikesville. For $55 it’s the standout for value as I thought it was really close to the Willett and is much cheaper and more available.

Nice haul! Interested to hear what you think about the MM. Angels Envy Rum cask is still my number one.

We'll be reviewing it on the podcast at some point.

With a buddy on vacation and doing some tastings and comparisons. One of the more interesting was a rye flight with Pikesville, Whistlepig 10, and Willett 4yr. We did that one blind with the help of our wives. Our impressions were that the Whistlepig was trash, I was glad I bought a small sampler and didn’t drop $85 on a full size bottle. The Willett was the winner being super complex and seemed to have something new on the pallet with each sip. The surprise was the Pikesville. For $55 it’s the standout for value as I thought it was really close to the Willett and is much cheaper and more available.

This is interesting because I (and most I know) like WP and think Willett is nothing more than swill in a really cool bottle. I won't buy Willett. Waste of my money to me. Lot of hype, lot of disappointment. That's why they say, "to each their own" though, right? :)

This was in my inbox and thought I'd ask those with a better idea than I on this subject:

https://www.liquor.com/best-whiskeys-4846748?utm_campaign=liquor_consumer&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=22290058&utm_term=

Cool list. Thanks for sharing. I haven't had a lot of this.

Lap-frog (Laphroaig) to me, and a few buddies I was with when we decided to try something none of us had heard of a couple years ago, tasted like a donkey drank swamp water then had diarrhea and they bottled it. The absolute hardest of passes from me and my unsophisticated palette.

WT101 is a steal. Great buy every time.

This was in my inbox and thought I'd ask those with a better idea than I on this subject:

https://www.liquor.com/best-whiskeys-4846748?utm_campaign=liquor_consumer&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=22290058&utm_term=

Most of it I agree with, except Stagg Jr. Elijah Craig is 10x better and you can actually get it in most places.

WT101 is a steal. Great buy every time.

If you like 101, have you checked out Old Tub? Good stuff for the cost too.

It's interesting to see all the differing tastes/opinions even in this thread. Post-COVID whiskey sampling night anyone?

:thumbup:

This is interesting because I (and most I know) like WP and think Willett is nothing more than swill in a really cool bottle. I won't buy Willett. Waste of my money to me. Lot of hype, lot of disappointment. That's why they say, "to each their own" though, right? :)

I bought a 50ml of the Whistlepig to try out. Not sure if maybe there were quality control issues with it, but I was surprised for sure with as much praise as it’s gotten. It had strong spearmint but otherwise pretty flat when compared to the others back to back. Maybe I’ll try another pour in a bar someday, but not risking a bottle purchase on it.

The Willett is good, but not worth the $100+ people are paying for it. If you can get it for retail which should be around $65 then I’d pick one up. I think the Pikesville is the best bang for the buck and I may get another bottle.

Also during this trip tried out Jack Daniels Single Barrell Barrell Proof and was really impressed. It’s hot at 132 proof, but tons of flavor that has staying power. Definitely worth a try at $65 if you like any Barrell proof whiskeys.

If you like 101, have you checked out Old Tub?

Almost got a bottle of that with those other 4 I just posted. I haven't had it but friends who have seemingly similar tastes as I seem apathetic about it. Not good, not bad. I've heard it's "alright". I'll have to give it a shot myself and see.

I bought a 50ml of the Whistlepig to try out. Not sure if maybe there were quality control issues with it, but I was surprised for sure with as much praise as it’s gotten. It had strong spearmint but otherwise pretty flat when compared to the others back to back. Maybe I’ll try another pour in a bar someday, but not risking a bottle purchase on it.

Hmmm...dunno. I like everything I've had from WP but I'm also not dying to grab a bottle. I mean, they're good and readily avail and I like them but they're not something I'd search for. Well, maybe the 15.

The Willett is good, but not worth the $100+ people are paying for it. If you can get it for retail which should be around $65 then I’d pick one up. I think the Pikesville is the best bang for the buck and I may get another bottle.

The place I stopped at on the KY/TN line had Willett and a GIANT bottle of Willett. I should've grabbed that just for the novelty of it. That's not one I'd ever seen a "handle" of.

Also during this trip tried out Jack Daniels Single Barrell Barrell Proof and was really impressed. It’s hot at 132 proof, but tons of flavor that has staying power. Definitely worth a try at $65 if you like any Barrell proof whiskeys.

Not really a Jack fan. At all. Use to drink Jack and Coke when I was younger because a LOT of folks down here did but switched to Captain and Coke real fast. That being said the SiB is surprisingly good. I agree with you on that.