Whisky

Robochan

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on this?

https://uproxx.com/life/best-bourbons-from-independent-distilleries-2021/

I really like the idea of smaller distilleries, especially for gifts. It's what I was looking for in bringing gifts back from Japan.

IMG-20200909-134908.jpg

This made me think of the new local distillery, anyone here tried it? Their food is awesome.

http://www.highbankco.com/distillery

Any thoughts on this?

https://uproxx.com/life/best-bourbons-from-independent-distilleries-2021/

I really like the idea of smaller distilleries, especially for gifts. It's what I was looking for in bringing gifts back from Japan.

IMG-20200909-134908.jpg

Of that list only woodinville and Wilderness Trail are the ones I’ve seen in Ohio. I haven’t had Woodinville but the Wilderness Trail is great for the money.

They list Balcones bourbon which I haven’t seen here yet, but always recommend Balcones Texas single malt which we have here and is a really interesting drink and well worth the money.

I got a bottle from watershed of nocino ..haven't opened it yet. But I bought a bottle of their old fashion as my youngest has been ordering them when he goes out.

He has nothing but good things to say about it

The nocino is... interesting. I find it ok in small doses. I think it could be fantastic in some cocktails but I haven't figured out what I want to try to to do with it yet.

I think everyone I know who likes old fashions and has had theirs has really liked it. We were able to take 3 bottles over to Japan with us, at least duty free, and we took one of those.

Had the Western Reserve 14 year yet? Stuff is incredible, I'm on my 3rd bottle in about a year. I don't drink it as often because $100/bottle.
Looks like it's readily available, I'll have to try it out. What are some of your other favorites, to get a sense of your preferences? Including other liquors?

Apparently they haven't been around long enough to age much so their older stuff is sourced dickel. I'm sure some of the other guys here can give you comps from the same mash.

Looks like it's readily available, I'll have to try it out. What are some of your other favorites, to get a sense of your preferences? Including other liquors?

Apparently they haven't been around long enough to age much so their older stuff is sourced dickel. I'm sure some of the other guys here can give you comps from the same mash.

I bought it because it was "the one that beat Pappy" in 2019 iirc. It's extremely available and out of Lakewood, Ohio I believe, which is why we can get it around here so easily. I have never had Pappy to compare.

I drink a lot of Weller, Buffalo Trace, and Bulleit for cheaper stuff and old fashioneds/manhattans. Also have a couple bottles of Blanton's and like Western Reserve better than that. I've been creeping this thread for awhile and have quite the collection of bourbons going, just never posted for some reason. All the Western Reserve is solid whether it's the 4,8,12, rye... but the 14 is incredible. Even their clear rum is good as shit, and it's cheap.

Edited by Duff

Wasn't sure what thread to stick this in. Wife bought me a few sampler bottles of bourbons for my Xmas stocking stuffer and rather then drinking them (only like the Bulliet out of the bunch) I decided instead to try my hand at making a whiskey wall art piece. See end result.

EAWdase.jpg

QGUdTpv.jpg

Used walnut wood and did two stage epoxy pours to make it. Did first stage of the epoxy with a medieval copper color (it's the legit name, I laughed) and once that cured, placed the sampler bottles on top and did another epoxy pour in clear epoxy resin this time.

Then couldn't just have the piece by itself so I made a backerboard made from pine, stained dark to frame it nicely. Had an electrician friend over to wire in my new dust collector in my woodshop, he saw it half way done and told me to name my price.

GyIS2O5.jpg

Due to the thickness of the sampler bottles, it's a pretty hefty piece. (epoxy can be heavy in bigger amounts) so I did a french cleat mount on the back so it would be super secure.

Apparently my electrician friend and his wife have a longtime friend who recently lost her husband of 40 years to Covid, and he was a huge bourbon fan. So my electrician is buying it (I gave him a smoking deal after he told me the reason) to give her as a momento to her husband.

Since everybody in this thread is a fan of whiskey and bourbons, thought you may like to see it. Took me about three weeks to make.

Edited by Franchi