Input Please on Garage Floor Choices

TTQ B4U

So I'm waffling between a Poly Aspartic coating like this:

Both look good but I do like the smooth clean look of the epoxy finish. It will hide a lot of dust and any dirt and washes up easy. Downside is the prices I'm being quoted are high as it's labor intensive. Add to it I have to completely move everything out into a storage unit that also isn't free. Total Cost is in the area of $3k-4k tops plus some of my efforts. 4-5 day project.

or the SwissTrax/Ribtrax Tiles

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/garage/vented-xl-grid-loc-tiles.html

Again, looks great but not as "clean" IMO. Design options are endless though and the job is a DIY Project that will take but 1-2 days tops depending on my energy level. I also like that I can mix in various types of materials on the install too. Under the work areas and cabinet areas I can do the rubber tiles that are identical to the hard plastic, etc. for less stress and more comfort when walking, etc.

The main work in my garage isn't wrenching on cars, it's detailing and typical home owner stuff.

What would CR Do?

I do not see how you can wash cars in there on rubber tiles. Will perpetually be damp under those things.

I know they are made to let water though, but it seems like you might have more moisture than usual, especially in the harder to evaporate winter months.

Also you are washing stuff OFF of cars...yeah that goes with the water, but I could see a lot building up under/in tiles. Also cant be good for the underlying concrete.

Id go the epoxy route to seal it completely.

Everyone on the "Garage Journal" forums has a hard on for "RaceDeck" tiles similar to what you posted above, and I don't really understand the appeal. It seems like a pain to clean the floor and personally I think they look silly.

The smooth epoxy with the flakes looks wayyyyyyyyy better and is much easier to keep clean. Definitely worth the extra labor IMO

I do not see how you can wash cars in there on rubber tiles. Will perpetually be damp under those things.

I know they are made to let water though, but it seems like you might have more moisture than usual, especially in the harder to evaporate winter months.

fair point but they are pretty ventilated and in the winter the garage is heated and I am putting a dehumidifier out there too

Also you are washing stuff OFF of cars...yeah that goes with the water, but I could see a lot building up under/in tiles. Also cant be good for the underlying concrete.Id go the epoxy route to seal it completely.
another fair point. I've been exchanging messages with this guy who is in Canada and does detailing. Here's a video of his being cleaned. Literally a snap. I do like that the epoxy seals up the floor though.

SPRING CLEANING: Jump to 1:30 to get started

Everyone on the "Garage Journal" forums has a hard on for "RaceDeck" tiles similar to what you posted above, and I don't really understand the appeal. It seems like a pain to clean the floor and personally I think they look silly.

The smooth epoxy with the flakes looks wayyyyyyyyy better and is much easier to keep clean. Definitely worth the extra labor IMO

I think it's because it can make the average Joe's garage look so much better than shit so quickly. People like to see what is online vids or magazines in their garage.

I'm just trying to justify double the price / value which isn't cheap.

I think it's because it can make the average Joe's garage look so much better than shit so quickly. People like to see what is online vids or magazines in their garage.

I'm just trying to justify double the price / value which isn't cheap.

I guess it depends on the colors and the layout. Some of them I've seen end up looking like a kid's playroom.....

http://saraharrier.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/foam-tiles-for-playroom-astonishing-eco-soft-kid-safe-interlocking-basement-floor-underlayment-decorating-ideas-11.jpg

I guess it depends on the colors and the layout. Some of them I've seen end up looking like a kid's playroom.....

Agree. I would keepmine simple. Little nicer than this one but you get the idea.

large.jpg

I've had the full epoxy with tons of flake in my garage for 4 years or so now and yes, it was very labor intensive. Professional painter friend of mine did it for me as he thought he may want to get into doing those floors as a side hustle but once we finished mine and did it right, he said screw that and went back to normal interior painting. I originally went with epoxy as it was the most durable of everything I could find but then realized after a year or two, it was slight overkill for the simple needs like most homeowners would need. Plus I'm generally careful when I'm working on stuff and don't dump entire pans of oil out, ect.

I like the looks of epoxy for sure but if I was to do it again, I'd go with a clean simple Racedeck floor for sure and plan on doing that for next garage down the road.

yeah, but the last thing I want to deal with is 3 pieces of rubber buckling under my car. besides, what are the chances I'd get that shit to lay flat when I can't get a rolled up newspaper to do it.

Hit up Eric on here (ec_E92). He just installed the RaceDeck(???) but took his time and did a great job making it edge up to the sides of his garage. It wasn't cheap - like $2/sq ft - but I was thoroughly impressed when I saw the finished product and having a perforated surface makes perfect sense for trapping water and dirt. Plus, damaged tiles can be replaced.

We had an epoxy garage floor in our house in FL, and the hot tire pickup was ridiculous. Mats or tile floors are the way to go for sure.

Hit up Eric on here (ec_E92). He just installed the RaceDeck(???) but took his time and did a great job making it edge up to the sides of his garage. It wasn't cheap - like $2/sq ft - but I was thoroughly impressed when I saw the finished product and having a perforated surface makes perfect sense for trapping water and dirt. Plus, damaged tiles can be replaced. We had an epoxy garage floor in our house in FL, and the hot tire pickup was ridiculous. Mats or tile floors are the way to go for sure.

I will ping Eric for sure. @$2sq/ft that's CHEAP not pricey. More like $4 to $6 for the RibTrax stuff. It's better quality though.

The Epoxy you had trouble with though is different. No hot pick up with PolyAspartic. It's completely different. It's the stuff they use in car dealer service drives, etc. and commercial centers. That's why it's coming in at $5-7 per sq. ft.

Fun shopping for it all but damn these prices are stupid for a garage floor.

Agreed. The quality stuff (aka expensive) doesn't get hot tire pick up when applied correct (it's a process)....I keep one fun car parked in that garage and the wife gets the other side and is constantly in and out, with no hot tire marks or scuffs even.

Have you thought about porcelain tile?

http://cleardesign.me/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/tile-on-garage-floor-porcelain-tile-the-ideal-surface-for-garage-flooring-porcelain-tile-garage-floor-installation.jpg

If I'm ever in a position to do a garage again that's the route I'd go.

I like the idea of any tile solution not really caring about the quality of the pad underneath (concrete: cracks, oil/paint stains, chips/spauling).

Only concerns I would have with ceramic/porcelain tiles would be impact damage, or if water gets underneath the grout and freezes in the winter...but if you're doing this much to your garage, you'd think it would already be heated. :)

With the amount of water Tim's looking at with his side hustle, I'd highly recommend perforated composite tiles.

Have you thought about porcelain tile?

If I had a garage full of super cars I would but for me and what I do, I'd either do concrete staining or Epoxy.

Still on the fence but then I have one last company coming over late today to help discuss the options. Staining and sealing it up is another route as the detailing chemicals I use aren't damaging to much so it may be yet another option.

I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever I go with considering what it is right now. It's not horrible but it is definitely screaming out to be finished.

large.jpg

The problem I have with the plastic tiles is the inability to take load. Want to change tires on your car or put it on jack stands...you have to get wood or metal to put down on top of your tile to do it...so now you need a floor for your floor. That turned me off pretty quick to them and was why I was actually looking at porcelain when we still had a house.

I did the epoxy thing and it sucked and the stuff I had was stupid slippery when it was wet even with the flecks in it to add traction.

I did the epoxy thing and it sucked and the stuff I had was stupid slippery when it was wet even with the flecks in it to add traction.

That is also noteworthy. I added a full dose of recommended stuff for traction when we did it but even with that, when the floor is soaked (rain or winter) it's almost slippery. Walking is fine but I cant even count how many times I've seen my young ones fall on their ass as they ran into the garage and it was wet because I just sprayed it out or something....

Different with this product. The chips help from a larger footprint standpoint but there's also a non-skid property to the clear coat layer so it's not an issue. This newer version of PolyAspartic is pretty cool.

I had Columbus Garage Floors out and we went and saw two customers with the exact same system installed and both sold me on it. $2800 for my 484sq ft area including filling and repairing two small cracks, grinding the joints down and filling them so the floor looks more seemless and then doing the footer outside the garage and step too. Footer will be solid light gray. Chips will be 1/4 size larger black and white with Grey background.

This is the same look I'd be purchasing.

20150720192016.jpg

Last time I looked into this I decided if I was going to do it I would do tile.

Laying floor tile is easy with a mixer for the thin set. Just find some cheap tile that isn't slippery when wet.

As long as there are no air gaps in the thin set the tile isn't as prone to cracking as you would think. Watched a video of a guy trying to bust up a section to add a lift and he was hammering the hell out of each tile before it broke. Bonus is if you did manage to break one you can chip it out and put a new one in.

The problem I have with the plastic tiles is the inability to take load. Want to change tires on your car or put it on jack stands...you have to get wood or metal to put down on top of your tile to do it...so now you need a floor for your floor. That turned me off pretty quick to them and was why I was actually looking at porcelain when we still had a house.

Hell, this thread has me pretty convinced I need to start pricing tile. :)

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17792

Coming in late here. I love my “racedeck” solid coin tiled floor. It’s held up to jacks and is even run UNDER my 4-post lift without issue. Yes, I keep squares of plywood for under my jack stands but it isn’t terrible. I got a bargain price of $2/sq ft on a wholesale closeout thru Garage Journal. But tiles don’t work for everyone. While I would’ve preferred a commercial/industrial epoxy or poly-x, my Slab was too f’d and I have too much shit in my garage to make disappear. So the tiles were a no-brainer, and I have no regrats.

e7672202ced4a1675518cff2fe141d9f.jpgf734e97e8bd42f9e9cd1e3313f221ad8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim, your garage is looking great, a nice floor will really finish it off. I'm staying tuned here, as I've been trying to decide what to do on my shop half of the current 3 car. When the pole barn is built it will see more work than the garage, so I might go a little nicer for just parking/cleaning.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk