A/C not working - Silverado GMT800

zeitgeist57

My '01 Silverado has been running great, with cold A/C...up until this point. The temp went from being cool to not feeling up to the task today.

- Compressor is kicking on, I hear the "hiss" through the lines, then it kicks off in 3-5 seconds

- Touched both lines: hot side is really hot, and the cold side is only so a few inches from the firewall. Fluctuates when the compressor is running.

- Plugged in A/C gauge (from refill kit I haven't used in years) and pressure fluctuates from green (20psi or so) up to red (65psi).

I have not ever refilled the A/C system. What could be causing the pressure spike into the red? Anything I can check or service? She's blowing warm these days...

The high and low sides begin to equalize when the compressor isn’t pumping. That video is normal of a low charge. Probably slowly leaking somewhere, first thing you can do is see if there’s any compressor oil seeping out of any of the A/C components. Condensers are a pretty common point of failure in older vehicles.