Buying car without title

Forrest Gump 9

Hello all

I’m looking to buy a older Mercedes. The owner bought it from Cali and never transfer the title to Ohio. Now he lost the the title and can’t contact the Cali owner. Can I buy his Mercedes? What do I need to do to obtain a title for such car? Thank you

At least it not a Camry right?

what year is the car? State of NY does some screwy things with old car titles that you can basically get a NY title for it then transfer it to ohio. Kerry (geeto) does this with some of his bikes i believe. I am sure he will chime in with a 13 page summary of the process.

LOL. Funnier than NB being salty that a FWD Camry is just 2 seconds slower than his super cool car and that an autoLOL Poopra is faster.

yeah, well randy pobst can drive my car eleventy seconds faster than that camry.

also, no title LOL good luck in ohio, such a shitty state to get some things titled in. find a sheisty FL or MI? resident or whichever the easy ones are to make a title for you... if the car is worth it. I can only think of one mercedes ever made that would be worth that much shenanigans

what year is the car? State of NY does some screwy things with old car titles that you can basically get a NY title for it then transfer it to ohio. Kerry (geeto) does this with some of his bikes i believe. I am sure he will chime in with a 13 page summary of the process.

Gerg is right, NY, Vermont, New Hampshire, Georgia, Alabama, and many other states don't require titles to transfer ownership of the vehicle is of a certain age. Vermont doesn't require you to be a resident and you can do it through the mail. Pm me and we can discuss.

It may not hurt to call the bmv or the local clerk of courts to see if you might be able to get a court ordered title for the car. Of course, there is no guarantee you will get a title that way.

Gerg is right, NY, Vermont, New Hampshire, Georgia, Alabama, and many other states don't require titles to transfer ownership of the vehicle is of a certain age. Vermont doesn't require you to be a resident and you can do it through the mail. Pm me and we can discuss.

I may send you a pm with questions as well.

Since I got a lot of questions about VT titles, I am just going to post this here:

This is a youtube tutorial of how to do the process via mail:

yes this is legal. It was originally designed as a process for out of state residents to register the cars they leave at their vacation summer cabins in VT year round, but has grown into a source of revenue for the VT DMV. Yes they know people use this to replace lost titles , and their DMV office in Burlington is super helpful and knowledgeable and will answer any questions if you call - (802) 828-2000

it is a 15 year rolling transferable registration which means the car has to be 2004 or older. If you are worried about the car being stolen then you can have the vin run at your local police station and can also do a national insurance crime bureau search: https://www.nicb.org/vincheck . VT DMV will do their own search and won't issue any plates to a stolen vehicle so don't think you can steal an old car and register it this way.

there is no limit at how many you can do. I do about 5 a year for personal vehicles (mostly old motorcycles I clean up and flip). I did one this year where I told the BMV clerk I was only changing it for an ohio title to make it easier to sell and she honestly couldn't care less. I sold the bike a week later at Mid-O VMD and the new owner was super happy and had no problems. It helps that it was in my name and not in some title company's name, as I have heard from friends that some BMVs will reject it if you use a title company, so do it yourself through the mail.