2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD - Battery drain?

zeitgeist57

I'm likely picking up a 2005 Volvo S60 from a neighbor for a price I can't resist. 110k miles, AWD automatic with the 2.5L 5cyl turbo. However, there are 3 things it needs to have remedied:

- Timing Belt - easy enough.

- P0302 Cyl 2 misfire - will do a compression check to make sure there's nothing wrong mechanically with the cylinder. Will swap coilpacks and spark plugs later as needed.

- BATTERY DRAIN...

The last one is going to be my biggest concern. He says it will die if he doesn't drive the car within 2-3 days. He's not driving it now hence why he's getting rid of it. I'm probably going to have to have a shop look at it, but anything I can do to diagnose the circuits that may be faulty? For all the multimeters I get through Harbor Freight, I'm not good at diagnosing electrical issues.

Any thoughts? Googling "Volvo electrical drain" makes my head hurt. :)

There are a lot of articles online how to do a parasitic battery drain test. I don't imagine the test would be significantly different from one car to another. The fix on the other hand... I'd probably start by making sure that no lights are staying on when they should not be. An example would be my old Impala SS. There was a level switch that would turn the trunk light on and off when you opened and closed it. When the switch went bad the trunk light would stay on and run the battery down.

Anyhow, here is an example of how to run a test:

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/car-batterydrain

The timing belts on those is not very easy from what I read years ago, and costs over a grand at the dealership to do.

Hope you have a pile of torx bits for doing almost anything on that car, including plugs. Also make absolutely sure they're gapped correctly or it'll stutter at high rpm (may be the reason for the misfire).

Coolant has to be Volvo shit from the dealer and you have to 50/50 it yourself with water.

Get a GROM bluetooth adapter if you care.. I picture you still lugging around a notebook of CDs with you though.

The timing belts on those is not very easy from what I read years ago, and costs over a grand at the dealership to do.

Hope you have a pile of torx bits for doing almost anything on that car, including plugs. Also make absolutely sure they're gapped correctly or it'll stutter at high rpm (may be the reason for the misfire).

Coolant has to be Volvo shit from the dealer and you have to 50/50 it yourself with water.

Get a GROM bluetooth adapter if you care.. I picture you still lugging around a notebook of CDs with you though.

Just saw the tech thread on this.

Timing is a PITA.

Coolant - yep - but one of the pennzoil 50/50 mixes is compatible

Tape adapter > GROM, I still have the old one from my volvo since it was last thing around to have a tape deck!

Electrical isn't too hard. I got a meter. Pull fuse, check current through it, repeat.

Finally, P0302 Cyl 2 misfire, LOL. I had same code and 40psi compression. Good luck.

Yeah, cylinder misfire could be anything. Coil pack, plug, vacuum leak, injector, fuel filter, blah. I smell a money pit.

It was just the coil pack. No more misfire when I bought it.

I’ve fired it up every day so far, so I’m not seeing a battery drain...but as I update wear items, I’ll try to find a problem.

There is a message on the message center: “Alarm System Service Required “ or something like that...

It was just the coil pack. No more misfire when I bought it.

I’ve fired it up every day so far, so I’m not seeing a battery drain...but as I update wear items, I’ll try to find a problem.

There is a message on the message center: “Alarm System Service Required “ or something like that...

IIRC there is a message that appears if the alarm is triggered? you can hold a button on the stalk to clear it if its the one I'm thinking of