Land owners with coyotes

Mojoe

I'm posting this in the Gun crew, mostly as a feeler to start with. If you're in here, you have a gun or gun interest. What I'm looking to do is shot some coyotes. Many of these animals will be taken at night quietly. I'm looking to work with rural landowners in Licking, Knox, Franklin and Delaware county. I may entertain other surrounding counties.

Concept of operation:

You have a pet you love that goes outside and you don't want fluffy to be a coyote snack. Rifles and night vision scopes are legal for coyote hunting. I do have a crossbow with NV that I may be willing to use on a case by case basis, if in city limits.

If you have hunting land, like a lease for deer hunting, and want coyotes gone, we can talk about that too. I don't want your hunting spot, I have a solid place that I have taken 2-3 deer a year from.

There is no cost for this, so I'm not selling anything. I'm not here for animal rights activists to complain or scrutinize. I have been following and seeing more and more issues with coyotes. They are in every city (to include Manhattan) and state, except Hawaii. This is the reason there is no limit or closed season on shooting these animals.

Edited by Mojoe

We have 5 acres in Franklin. The 7 houses on our little dead end road are surrounded by Battelle Darby Metro Park public hunting land. The Metro park doesn't allow coyote hunting so there are tons of them. We even have a permanent tree stand that can be used.

We have 5 acres in Franklin. The 7 houses on our little dead end road are surrounded by Battelle Darby Metro Park public hunting land. The Metro park doesn't allow coyote hunting so there are tons of them. We even have a permanent tree stand that can be used.

Sent PM

Edited by Mojoe

I lived in Knox County for 24 years and never once saw a coyote in person. Im not claiming or saying anything one way or another just that I hear a lot about them but never once saw one.

We did spot a couple out in Joshua Tree NP a few weeks ago. Pretty animals but I get if they are messing with your animals.

You see the new proposal odnr has for requiring a fur taker permit (and course) in order to hunt coyote?

http://ohiodnr.gov/news/post/ohio-wildlife-council-receives-small-game-migratory-bird-hunting-season-proposals

$15 permit. No issue. Many people are saying there is a "season" for this year, but that's only for trapping.

Got 2 that frequent my back yard by the woods. The larger one is the biggest coyote I've ever seen. Too bad I live in Delaware in town. They won't do anything about it.

Have you talked to ODNR about your options? You may not be able to shoot a gun in city limits, but snaring may be an option. I would post up with a crossbow and just make sure you have good safe background for a shot.

In before Benner accidently shoots his neighbors German Shepard.

Lol I wish. They killed/scavenged a deer a few years ago about 15 yards into the woods. You could hear them at night. Looked like a smaller doe from the remains.

Have you talked to ODNR about your options? You may not be able to shoot a gun in city limits, but snaring may be an option. I would post up with a crossbow and just make sure you have good safe background for a shot.

Yeah I need to check with ODNR. last time I saw them I was taking my girls out to the truck. They stood and watched till I got them safely in the truck and started walking toward them. Within about 40 yards.

My only worry about snaring is all the other animals we get that we like. Foxes, coons, opossums and predatory birds.

$15 permit. No issue. Many people are saying there is a "season" for this year, but that's only for trapping.

It's a little vague really and in true odnr fashion confusing. They do that shit on purpose to leave room for ticket writing. It's just in proposal form right now so hopefully it never makes it into law or it's amended.

"New proposals also include requiring a fur taker permit for coyote hunting and trapping, and adding coyote to the furbearer trapping season. This proposal was made to better align with other furbearer hunting and trapping regulations, and will ensure proper training will be completed prior to trapping coyote by requiring the fulfillment of a trapper education course. Ohio resident landowners are not required to have a hunting license or fur taker permit when hunting or trapping on land they own."

Yeah I need to check with ODNR. last time I saw them I was taking my girls out to the truck. They stood and watched till I got them safely in the truck and started walking toward them. Within about 40 yards.

My only worry about snaring is all the other animals we get that we like. Foxes, coons, opossums and predatory birds.

Snare for a coyote should be up too high for coon or opossums. You may get a fox, but getting a bird would be really rare.

My cousin had 3 follow him out of the woods to his truck this deer season. They spread out and started a half circle around him. This is a guy that has been in the woods since he was 4 years old with his dad. He said it was the most he had ever been afraid in the woods. He was bow hunting and did have a pistol with him. He said it felt like they knew just how close they could get and not have him shoot.

Furtaker permit is required to sell the animal. Many places with take them as a whole animal. You don't get as much for them though. The more work you do, the more value you have. Bring in volume and they pay you more per animal. People who trap tend to sell. Coyote is still open season. There are coyote shooting tournaments going on all over the place right now. There was a team that turned in 80 in a four day session. Wild hog and coyote are on same regs here in ohio for shooting and open season year round. Someone shot a hog last week in Licking county. Mild winter may have them more comfortable pushing up from the southern states.

Howard, it doesn't seem you read all of my original post.

"I'm not here for animal rights activists to complain or scrutinize".

You don't have to like it. I'd feel far better about shooting a coyote than someone losing their pet to one.

Howard, it doesn't seem you read all of my original post.

"I'm not here for animal rights activists to complain or scrutinize".

You don't have to like it. I'd feel far better about shooting a coyote than someone losing their pet to one.

TIL Joe doesn't know what Statist means.

I wouldn't snare in a residential area. People frown on their dog getting strangled to death.

I would, however, run foothold traps if you're looking to get them quietly. That way, you can be extra selective about which animals you pop in the head.

I have a 5 acre lot as well and recently saw 4-5 Wylie Coyotes running through the back yard. As I have a 5 foot stockade fence with chicken wire I should be OK. Also my dog is a Newfoundland and unless they are pack hunting she is ok (90 plus pounds). Lastly I put up a new trail cam at the back of the property to get more information about what is running past the back (Deer / Yotes and others I am sure).

If this becomes an issue I may pick up a crossbow as I am a little too close to Grove City and traps not an option (Neighbor has a great German Sheppard and would not want to hurt)..