CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

I do not know about farming at all. As a kid my grandparents had a farm but I was 4-5 years old and they sold it.

I see the thing about if you have 100 head and they are due to leave on a certain date so you can get the next 100, but and again I don't know anything about this, wouldn't that work up the supply chain. What I mean is the guy/corp selling you the 100 babies keeps them until such time you can move your 100 to the processing plant.

I understand it's a traffic jam kind of issue.

At some point the system as a whole can slow down. The problem is, the guy that supplies you with those 100 calves to feed out, also supplies 10 other farms. Now he has 1,000 cows about to have new calves and no where to put them. After the first wave is disposed of, he could stop breeding cattle. Problem there, is that when things begin to pick up, you'll have 9 months to wait for new supply to begin growing.

Meanwhile the available supply that has been waiting is now sub par to the prime beef you've been accustomed to.

First world problems, maybe, but real problems none the less.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget the stupid insurance issues. I'm not as familiar with livestock insurance as crops, but I'm sure there are nonsense rules.

If a farmer files a claim on a field, he can't harvest any of that field, even if some of it is salvageable. Prevents fraud I suppose.

I'm sure livestock isn't being slaughtered by command of the insurance company, but I'll bet there are some ridiculous policies.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I do not know about farming at all. As a kid my grandparents had a farm but I was 4-5 years old and they sold it.

I see the thing about if you have 100 head and they are due to leave on a certain date so you can get the next 100, but and again I don't know anything about this, wouldn't that work up the supply chain. What I mean is the guy/corp selling you the 100 babies keeps them until such time you can move your 100 to the processing plant.

I understand it's a traffic jam kind of issue.

Imagine owning 100 cars and you have 100 more coming in. They sit on your lot. This is a traffic jam. Manufacturers want to bring you more but you have no room because you can't sell any.

Now imagine having to fuel up those 100 cars with new, clean fuel daily, clean those 100 parking spots a couple times a day, detail all 100 vehicles every day, and pay your entire staff because those cars still need taken care of otherwise when the time comes you won't be able to sell them because they've all stopped running and rusted out.

100 head of cattle isn't cheap to keep alive. I know the cost of a farm with 35 head of cattle, 600 meat birds, a couple dozen layers, and 3 pigs, and we moved our animals to fresh grass daily. It's not cheap and unlike cars that just sit on a lot they still require the same care and same budget regardless of what's going on but without money coming in. That's the biggest issue. They don't merely depreciate or anything. They drain your account. Fast.

Imagine owning 100 cars and you have 100 more coming in. They sit on your lot. This is a traffic jam. Manufacturers want to bring you more but you have no room because you can't sell any.

Now imagine having to fuel up those 100 cars with new, clean fuel daily, clean those 100 parking spots a couple times a day, detail all 100 vehicles every day, and pay your entire staff because those cars still need taken care of otherwise when the time comes you won't be able to sell them because they've all stopped running and rusted out.

100 head of cattle isn't cheap to keep alive. I know the cost of a farm with 35 head of cattle, 600 meat birds, a couple dozen layers, and 3 pigs, and we moved our animals to fresh grass daily. It's not cheap and unlike cars that just sit on a lot they still require the same care and same budget regardless of what's going on but without money coming in. That's the biggest issue. They don't merely depreciate or anything. They drain your account. Fast.

These deeper dives into the cost of shutting everything down is exactly what I realised on day one and was shocked that they made that decision.

then add the cost of city taxes, property/equipment maintenance, insurance, etc. I was blown away at the size of cattle operations in the texas panhandle when we drove through there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/05/02/theres-more-accurate-way-compare-coronavirus-deaths-flu/

Good information on comparing COVID-19 to the flu. Indirectly, it supports the NYT article I posted in here a few days ago.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

While I don't compare this to the flu....I read that article yesterday and thought what a shitty argument. "We've been fudging the flu deaths for years with models but this time we're using real numbers.....we promise." Doesn't really build a ton of confidence in the CDC which I don't have much confidence in to begin with. I do believe this is far worse than the flu....but not because of what the CDC says. They and the WHO have fucked this thing up from day 1.

then add the cost of city taxes, property/equipment maintenance, insurance, etc. I was blown away at the size of cattle operations in the texas panhandle when we drove through there.

Then consider the effect of municipalities not getting tax revenue and we start to have a picture of the economic impact of everyone sitting at home. Very expensive, the modem world operates on $$$. We can't just stop the process somewhere in the middle and print money to plug the holes. There are and will be consequences for years to come

While I don't compare this to the flu....I read that article yesterday and thought what a shitty argument. "We've been fudging the flu deaths for years with models but this time we're using real numbers.....we promise." Doesn't really build a ton of confidence in the CDC which I don't have much confidence in to begin with. I do believe this is far worse than the flu....but not because of what the CDC says. They and the WHO have fucked this thing up from day 1.

I thought this was all trumps fault?

remember those suicides I guessed we would start seeing. Well, we are seeing them now.

Ive seen 3 different facebook friends just today post about losing a friend to suicide (all late in their 30's), that started a business and had to close and possibly lose their house etc because of this. It was too much to handle. This will start growing as this hits harder.

Our culture isnt good at saving / planning for catastrophic financial events. Never has been. Never will be. Ive personally heard of as many people dealing with COVID and or have died from it, as those that have dealt with depression and or suicide.

Edited by Panduh

anyone else having serious mental fatigue over this yet?

Nope. I'd love for our business to get back into the full swing of things, but the peacefulness of not having to spend almost every spare minute running around and going to kids' events has been amazing for me and my family's mental fatigue from "normal" daily life. It is so nice being able to take our time and enjoy doing something now without having to rush through it to get to what had become just another thing we had to do on our list.

You probably need to unplug from the news / social media for a while. Focus on something else productive.

Every couple days I read the COVID19 summaries I'll link below but other than that I avoid any virus news.

https://theprepared.com/blog/

Nope. I'd love for our business to get back into the full swing of things, but the peacefulness of not having to spend almost every spare minute running around and going to kids' events has been amazing for me and my family's mental fatigue from "normal" daily life. It is so nice being able to take our time and enjoy doing something now without having to rush through it to get to what had become just another thing we had to do on our list.

That's the key....have to see the silver lining. This sucks balls in general but there's also some upside to sticking around the house and doing shit YOU want to do for a bit. I have 3-4 projects going at all times and almost all of them are things I've been wanting to get to for quite some time but put them off because other stuff had to be done.

Mine is based around the whole damn situation. My life has been completely fucked up over this whole deal, my profession is having the life choked out of it like a chick with a daddy kink and self-esteem issues.

That's the key....have to see the silver lining. This sucks balls in general but there's also some upside to sticking around the house and doing shit YOU want to do for a bit. I have 3-4 projects going at all times and almost all of them are things I've been wanting to get to for quite some time but put them off because other stuff had to be done.

Yeah, it's been great in this way. A zoom call with out of town relatives, a family gathering on the deck, a walk outdoors, etc are now things there is time to do, to look forward to and to actually appreciate. Before it was just hurry up and get shit done to the point everything lost its value and meaning. Another birthday party? I didn't really have the time. Soccer games that eat up an entire weekend again? An all day track meet to watch my kid run for 30 seconds? Fuck that noise.

Mine is based around the whole damn situation. My life has been completely fucked up over this whole deal, my profession is having the life choked out of it like a chick with a daddy kink and self-esteem issues.

This is the flip side. I sincerely feel for you. There would have many many years that this would have completely devastated our business.

You probably need to unplug from the news / social media for a while. Focus on something else productive.

Every couple days I read the COVID19 summaries I'll link below but other than that I avoid any virus news.

https://theprepared.com/blog/

I should have been more clear - I dont tune into the news more than maybe 1-2 times a week at the most. There isnt anything new. Opinions on what MSM is pushing wont change based off whats being pushed as the new crisis within this crisis. Thats where I find the fatigue.

My personal feelings around this also have to do with me being an extrovert. I have began to loath zoom and conf calls. I have always preferred to conduct business in person. With that not being an option currently, its effected me enough to be somewhat worn out/frustrated the whole situation.

I should have been more clear - I dont tune into the news more than maybe 1-2 times a week at the most. There isnt anything new. Opinions on what MSM is pushing wont change based off whats being pushed as the new crisis within this crisis. Thats where I find the fatigue.

My personal feelings around this also have to do with me being an extrovert. I have began to loath zoom and conf calls. I have always preferred to conduct business in person. With that not being an option currently, its effected me enough to be somewhat worn out/frustrated the whole situation.

I agree with the extrovert thing. From most of the various things I've seen, the way people are handling this is linked a lot to being an extrovert vs introvert. I think you are feeling what some introverts felt about the old "normal". My youngest is a big extrovert and definitely had the toughest time adjusting to this.

I'm right there with you, my business has been 90% dead for the past two months. Today my schedule started to fill for the next few days maybe things are getting better.