Considering Mini Cooper S as a DD Looking for input.

RC K9

Anybody have experience with these? I'm looking into getting a smaller, preferably turbo, preferably manual car to DD to work and back instead of driving my big ole 2011 Screw F150.

Mini Cooper S came on the radar. R56 is what I've been looking into. 2007-2008 looks to be close to the budget area.

Most I see in that area are around 125k.

I know some of the issues common with these N14 engines is:

Timing chain guides crack/break and tensioners fail

Thermostat housings leak (made of plastic; POS)

Front Lower Control Arm bushings go out around 75k, so even of they have been replaced at that point, we are only 25k or so from needing them again.

Side mirror and antenna base gaskets tend to rot out and are very expensive to replace.

Am I missing anything. Also, I am 6' 2", but haven't sat in one yet. Am I going to have anticipated fitment issues? I do about 250mi/wk so i'd prefer something that is somewhat comfortable.

RUN.

And, they are ungodly uncomfortable. Even our big ol R60 is brutal on trips.

Id NEVER again buy a N14. I dont even trust our N18 to go anywhere.

Maybe a non-S, but whats the point in that?

Uncomfortable from an interior standpoint, or from a ride quality standpoint?

What issues did you have with your N14?

Just hard seats. The suspension is a little tough as well if you have larger rims or especially those god-forsaken run-flats.

I ditched my 2009 R56 in 2011 at just 50K miles. Right out of warranty. In that time I had the whole timing chain BS replaced, water pump, electrical gremlins, fuel pump, ect. I could on imagine the costs were monumental.

Fastforward a few years (2014). Wife HAD to have a R60. Well, I really stood my ground here...."We're getting a "justa (base)" I said.

Few days passed and here we are with a All4S LOL. Besides all the AWD problems that has, it still had the water pump problems, wheel bearings (Minis eat them for some reason - probably run-flats), and a few other parts that are just way more expensive than a cheaper commuter (struts, battery, general maintenance items). Took it on a trip to Nashville after purchase...I think my back still hurts.

I may be biased. I traded that R56 in on my FJ Cruiser back in 2011. Still have it. No problems....

Was hoping to find something in the $4-$5k price range, but that is seeming like a pipe dream if the cooper is out. I guess there is a reason the r56 Cooper S's I've seen are in that price range, ha ha. I think y'all helped make my mind. Thanks!

My wife has had an R56 for the past 6-7 years. Bought it with around 30-40k miles on it. Its a 2009.

I'm 6'3" and on the hefty side and I find them actually very comfortable for their size. The door is a bit close, but other than that I find the steering wheel/pedals/seat overall to be in good locations. I don't even have the seat all the way back when I drive it, so I don't think you'll have any issues with it.

We have done a fair bit of maintenance, but mostly in the first 2-3 years we got it. Other than that we have had really good luck with it and it is a blast to drive at autocross.

We have done the clutch (not a terrible job if you just take the front end off instead of trying to drop the subframe like the manual says. the whole front clip comes out as an assembly in about 1-2hrs, and then the whole engine/trans comes out as one piece through the front by removing three mounting points). We went with an aftermarket solid flywheel to avoid the OEM $1000+ dual mass flywheel. We still have an OEM clutch in it (which is a solid disc since the oem flywheel is Dual mass) and haven't had any driveability issues with it, and its done probably around 30-40k miles like that.

Rear water housing we had to replace due to the plastic cracking and leaking coolant. Kind of a pain to get in there, but it wasn't a terrible job. Its a FWD, so its not like everything is super easy since its all packed so tight.

Timing chain/tensioners were replaced maybe 2 years ago? Again, not a terrible job, and theres access to everything with it in the car, but you do have to buy special cam holder tool and a crank tool which are available on amazon for not a terrible price.

We cleaned the intake valves ourselves last year. theres one bolt thats a real bitch on the back of the intake manifold, but most don't put it back in and we haven't had any issues. Again, a special tool was purchased that fits the ports, but other than that it was harbor freight walnut blaster special. Easy enough to clean out once you get going and the car again is running fine afterwards.

The only part we had replaced under warranty was the high pressure fuel pump. Car would miss at cold start for about 2-3 mins, then be fine. There was an extended warranty from MINI to replace these, but I think we were at the tail end last spring getting it replaced. They are kinda expensive.

So, its not terrible to work on, but it is a BMW product (couple special tools). It has a good amount of cargo space, we have loved it as a daily/autocross toy. We have coilovers on it now, run a decent 200TW tire, and then a rear sway bar and it rotates really well.

If we knew about this work needing to go into it over the life of the vehicle, we would probably still get it as most of the time it wasn't that bad and it drives and feels nice for what it is. If you want something thats going to take zero maintenance and just drive all the time, I would probably look somewhere else.

I don't mind maintenance, but don't want constant problems. I was looking at a c30 but I've heard there's all kinds of stupid issues with them and replacement parts are expensive and harder to get.

Wife and I looked at the Mini 6mt several times as a car for her and could never pull the trigger. from what research we have done, the only Mini's to have are the MK1 2001-2006 cars (esp the 06 cars), and most of those are old with high miles.

that said, might I suggest an alternative: the MK5-MK6 Audi A3 (2006-2013) 6mt.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/indianapolis-2007-audi-a3-line-6-spd/7090017878.html

not easy to find in a manual, but basically they are a re-badged VW GTI. We have had an 06 since 2011 and put 130K miles on ours and the car has been relatively low cost to maintain. Timing belt is the big one - costs about $1000 to have a shop do it and is a punch in the dick to do yourself, and has to be done every 70k miles.

Other trouble points are the thermostat which is also a pain to get to, and that the engine uses a thousand little plastic hose connectors that break. Seriously I break one like every time I open the hood, but they are often $6.

2006 models have an FSI engine with a fuel pump that eats cam followers, but this was fixed on 2007 and later models. It's a $30 and half hour fix every 30k miles.

for some reason ours eats wheel bearings every 40k miles but it's literally an hour job to do in your driveway (if you have the special 23mm triple square bit). This may be because the car sits on H&R superlow coil overs, even though the alignment is spot on.

car gets high 20's gas mileage in mixed mostly city driving around cbus. It's quick, nimble, comfy, accommodates tall people well, and is in your price range. Best of all it doesn't carry the GTI premium, even though its mostly the same car (the a3 is slightly longer). I have yet to find a mechanical part that didn't have a VW GTI equivalent. Insurance is cheaper than the GTI too.

Wife and I looked at the Mini 6mt several times as a car for her and could never pull the trigger. from what research we have done, the only Mini's to have are the MK1 2001-2006 cars (esp the 06 cars), and most of those are old with high miles.

that said, might I suggest an alternative: the MK5-MK6 Audi A3 (2006-2013) 6mt.

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/indianapolis-2007-audi-a3-line-6-spd/7090017878.html

not easy to find in a manual, but basically they are a re-badged VW GTI. We have had an 06 since 2011 and put 130K miles on ours and the car has been relatively low cost to maintain. Timing belt is the big one - costs about $1000 to have a shop do it and is a punch in the dick to do yourself, and has to be done every 70k miles.

Other trouble points are the thermostat which is also a pain to get to, and that the engine uses a thousand little plastic hose connectors that break. Seriously I break one like every time I open the hood, but they are often $6.

2006 models have an FSI engine with a fuel pump that eats cam followers, but this was fixed on 2007 and later models. It's a $30 and half hour fix every 30k miles.

for some reason ours eats wheel bearings every 40k miles but it's literally an hour job to do in your driveway (if you have the special 23mm triple square bit). This may be because the car sits on H&R superlow coil overs, even though the alignment is spot on.

car gets high 20's gas mileage in mixed mostly city driving around cbus. It's quick, nimble, comfy, accommodates tall people well, and is in your price range. Best of all it doesn't carry the GTI premium, even though its mostly the same car (the a3 is slightly longer). I have yet to find a mechanical part that didn't have a VW GTI equivalent. Insurance is cheaper than the GTI too.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into them.

Back in 08 when I ordered my 09 R56, it was a very close tossup between the Mini and a GTI. I really regret not getting the GTI. Point is, what do those fetch nowadays? Maybe look into them. The performance was very similar, though the VW was a touch larger.

friend bought a first year cooper S. was a giant pile of shit, under warranty, out of warranty, still has it, and is still a pile of shit. run far far away. if you gave me one, I would still not drive it.

"Don't want anything with constant issues" is enough of a reason to not buy one. Especially with that sort of mileage on it. We get our customers to dump them around 80K.

I have a customer with 5 mini cooper S's. His average bill at the shop is around $650 per visit and he never makes it 6 months between oil changes. We frequently have 2 of them at the same time.

They suck

"Don't want anything with constant issues" is enough of a reason to not buy one. Especially with that sort of mileage on it. We get our customers to dump them around 80K.

I have a customer with 5 mini cooper S's. His average bill at the shop is around $650 per visit and he never makes it 6 months between oil changes. We frequently have 2 of them at the same time.

They suck

Nail. In. Coffin.

Fk em. Ha ha.

Appreciate the input from everyone.

Wrong coast, but just saw this. If you want a Mini, this would be one you would want!

first gen. rare kit (costs more than he is even asking for the car). slick-top. tons of goodies.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/anaheim-2006-jcw-mini-cooper/7095032533.html

Edited by iwashmycar