Transferring a trailer title

Richard Cranium

I picked up a new to me trailer. Right now all the title offices are closed, and I cannot find any details on line about this. I am hearing that I need a weight slip from a scale when I transfer the title to my name. I didn't need one the last time, but I've heard this from a number of people. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know any details about what is required? I'd rather not make multiple trips to the title office. I assume the lines will be quite long when they open back up, so if I can get it done in one shot that would be great. If it matters the trailer is 28' enclosed, so it's over 4000 lbs.

I picked up a new to me trailer. Right now all the title offices are closed, and I cannot find any details on line about this. I am hearing that I need a weight slip from a scale when I transfer the title to my name. I didn't need one the last time, but I've heard this from a number of people. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know any details about what is required? I'd rather not make multiple trips to the title office. I assume the lines will be quite long when they open back up, so if I can get it done in one shot that would be great. If it matters the trailer is 28' enclosed, so it's over 4000 lbs.

The title office had me register mine as commercial to avoid the weight slip. If you are going to register it as non-commercial you will need a weight slip.

every trailer I've ever owned and I've owned probably 5 (My latest one is an 18 footer I bought brand new) and every single one you go get weighed then go to the BMV with it and they give you tags based off of that

Does the current title happen to have the weight listed? I've purchased out of state trailers and the 'home state' title listed the weight. For the ones that didn't, I registered them commercial to avoid needing a weight slip. I've also used the previous registration (from the old owner) to get a tag. (that was some time ago) If you need a weight slip, they are easy enough to get around Columbus (at least East of CBus).

• 2 weeks later...

Good news. I was able to transfer the title into my name without a weight slip. Also, if anyone needs it, the London Title agency is open, there was no line. The BMV is closed, but for now the title agency is open.

I will need a weight slip to register the trailer though, so that's my next step.

I thought about registering it commercial, but I have some reservations about that. I'd be a little worried about insurance (e.g. I don't have commercial insurance, would they refuse to pay for a commercial trailer?) Also I'd be worried down the road the government would decide I need a CDL to tow a commercial trailer. Things like that. There is a scale down at SWACO near where I have the trailer stashed anyhow, so a slip should not be a problem.

Good news. I was able to transfer the title into my name without a weight slip. Also, if anyone needs it, the London Title agency is open, there was no line. The BMV is closed, but for now the title agency is open.

Forgive me i guess ive never gone to a title agency. Whats the difference? You can get the title but no tags or?

Title agencies are owned by the state and do everything title related. And BMV's or licencing agencies are privately owned and do registrations and licence work. Normally they are 2 separate buildings.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk