Kicker speakers?

xlr8tn

I put some cheaper Rockford Fosgates all around my '79 Lincoln (4" front, 5x7 or 6x8 in the rear) powered by a $100 200w Kenwood amp and sounds really good for less than $250.

Name-brand speakers will be a noticable improvement for sure, even if they're cheaper.

With the headunit you should be good.

Its a case of diminishing returns.... you can throw some $20 pioneer aftermarkets on a stock stereo and usually get improvement, but the $50 ones may suck and be underpowered. If you have the rest upgraded you should be rewarded.

IMHO those are way more than what you need and while they will sound 'better' they will be pretty weak. Those are meant to be driven by an amp, unless you plan on putting a crossover in and amping them your H/U will not be able to give them enough juice.

They are advertising 150w RMS, I'd venture your H/U maybe can push 45w and only for a short amount of time. I'd say look for some in that range, maybe 50w RMS.

As stated above I usually grab some cheap Pioneer, etc. in all my cars just to give a bit better sound when I replace the H/U.

IMHO those are way more than what you need and while they will sound 'better' they will be pretty weak. Those are meant to be driven by an amp, unless you plan on putting a crossover in and amping them your H/U will not be able to give them enough juice.

They are advertising 150w RMS, I'd venture your H/U maybe can push 45w and only for a short amount of time. I'd say look for some in that range, maybe 50w RMS.

As stated above I usually grab some cheap Pioneer, etc. in all my cars just to give a bit better sound when I replace the H/U.

Well....I ordered them yesterday haha. I can add an amp if I need to so not a huge deal. Worst part of that is taking the center console apart on the Dodge to get to the radio.....kind of a pain in the ass.

• 3 weeks later...
Well....I ordered them yesterday haha. I can add an amp if I need to so not a huge deal. Worst part of that is taking the center console apart on the Dodge to get to the radio.....kind of a pain in the ass.

Did you put them in? Any good?

That's not really how these things work. A pair of speakers assuming same efficiency will be just as loud with 45w going into them regardless of what their limit is as long as you are not close to/above their limit. Whether that 45 watts comes from the head unit or an external amp does not matter. Whether the speakers limit is 60 watts or 150 watts does not matter. The speakers with the higher limit might actually sound better as speakers distortion levels rise as you get closer to their limits. As long as he is fine with the power level out of the head-unit, the extra power from an external amp would be a waste from a cost, installation time, space and weight viewpoint. Now, if the stock head unit does not get loud enough for him, then by all means put a more powerful amp in.

It is true that he will not use the full potential of the speakers. What is 100% not true is that the power coming out of his head-unit is somehow different and 'weak' compared to an external amp or will somehow make a different amount of sound given the same actual power level. He could also theoretically get an amp and never use more power than the head unit produces. Cars are not big spaces inside, it does not take a ton of power to make a decent amount of sound in them. Those are actually fair efficient at 90&92db/1w@1m.

Did you put them in? Any good?

Yeah...got them in. They sound pretty good. The stockers that were in it were pretty good to begin with so I won't say I was blown away with the improvement but there is a noticeable difference. If I wasn't so lazy I'd throw an amp behind them but getting that head unit out is a pain in the ass so for now these work just fine. I'm sure at some point I'll throw an amp in there though.

Kicker.....

giphy.gif

probably dating myself with this but in the mid-90's a "Kicker box" (trunk subwoofer with twin 12" speakers) was THE thing to have - at least in NYC.

that's all I got.

That's not really how these things work. A pair of speakers assuming same efficiency will be just as loud with 45w going into them regardless of what their limit is as long as you are not close to/above their limit. Whether that 45 watts comes from the head unit or an external amp does not matter. Whether the speakers limit is 60 watts or 150 watts does not matter. The speakers with the higher limit might actually sound better as speakers distortion levels rise as you get closer to their limits. As long as he is fine with the power level out of the head-unit, the extra power from an external amp would be a waste from a cost, installation time, space and weight viewpoint. Now, if the stock head unit does not get loud enough for him, then by all means put a more powerful amp in.

It is true that he will not use the full potential of the speakers. What is 100% not true is that the power coming out of his head-unit is somehow different and 'weak' compared to an external amp or will somehow make a different amount of sound given the same actual power level. He could also theoretically get an amp and never use more power than the head unit produces. Cars are not big spaces inside, it does not take a ton of power to make a decent amount of sound in them. Those are actually fair efficient at 90&92db/1w@1m.

Pretty sure those Kickers are listed @3ohm, stock is prolly 8ohm, we don't know what his HU does. I agree 45w will be just as loud @3 and @8 ohms but sound quality and clipping will come into play.

Oh well, enjoy the new speakers, just don't crank em till they sound like shit...hopefully you aren't one of those people. My friends brother honestly says it sounds better to hear the speakers bottom out.

Pretty sure those Kickers are listed @3ohm, stock is prolly 8ohm, we don't know what his HU does. I agree 45w will be just as loud @3 and @8 ohms but sound quality and clipping will come into play.

Oh well, enjoy the new speakers, just don't crank em till they sound like shit...hopefully you aren't one of those people. My friends brother honestly says it sounds better to hear the speakers bottom out.

Both were 4 ohms....stock and new ones. Other than the occasional "check this out" I rarely turn it way up. I definitely know not to turn it up until it distorts. These work fine for me. Like I say....nothing to brag about but they sound good enough for what I do. My brother was over today and I let him hear them. He said they sounded good and if there's one person that would lay it out straight to me it's him haha

Side note that's kinda comical and an age thing I guess. He hadn't heard it yet but I was like "you gotta check out this Dee Snider" haha...when was the last time anyone said that? His newest album is pretty damn good though.

This seems like an interesting product if someone did decide they needed a bit more power. You can probably find space in most cars to shove this behind the radio or under the dash somewhere, which would save a lot of wiring headaches and time.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D1004

https://www.newegg.com/p/0N0-0009-004G1

And it tested well here.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-acoustic-power-apl1-dsp.7278/