Coronavirus II

greg1647545532

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I donated blood on Monday, for a limited time the Red Cross is doing free antibody testing on all blood donations. Mine came back negative. I understand the current limitations of antibody testing and I'm not surprised by the result given I was sick in late January, but it's a data point a least.

Greg "oh shit maybe I should start listening to the scientists" Abbott today:

Things will get worse, and let me explain why... The deaths that we’re seeing announced today and yesterday — which are now over 100 — those are people who likely contracted COVID-19 in late May.

“The worst is yet to come as we work our way through that massive increase in people testing positive.

For reference, in late May Texas was seeing about 1000 new cases a day. It's now 10 times that, and I'm already seeing reports that hospitals are turning away patients. Same with Phoenix and parts of Florida. August and September are going to make April and May look like the good ol' days

Greg "oh shit maybe I should start listening to the scientists" Abbott today:

August and September are going to make April and May look like the good ol' days

Really depends too on the age of those infected. I've not tracked the ages of the positives in TX or those regions but in Ohio the mortality rate YTD for the younger groups is low.

Most of what I'm reading about is that the Masses of cases are in the younger groups. In Ohio from the 0-19, 20-29 and even the 30-39 year old groups we've seen 27k+ cases but only 30 deaths.

Contrast that with the older populations of 70-79 and 80+ where we've seen 9,800 cases but 2,300+ deaths.

I think where inner city ares like that of Harris County could see an impact is in the poor communities of people that are in poor health. Most are obese, eat like crap, etc. and are generally higher risk regardless of age.

That's where I think the most important learning aspect of this year comes from is personal responsibility in how we care for ourselves. It goes well beyond washing hands and wearing masks, it starts from what we put in our bodies and how we stay healthy.

Really depends too on the age of those infected. I've not tracked the ages of the positives in TX or those regions but in Ohio the mortality rate YTD for the younger groups is low.

Most of what I'm reading about is that the Masses of cases are in the younger groups. In Ohio from the 0-19, 20-29 and even the 30-39 year old groups we've seen 27k+ cases but only 30 deaths.

Contrast that with the older populations of 70-79 and 80+ where we've seen 9,800 cases but 2,300+ deaths.

I think where inner city ares like that of Harris County could see an impact is in the poor communities of people that are in poor health. Most are obese, eat like crap, etc. and are generally higher risk regardless of age.

That's where I think the most important learning aspect of this year comes from is personal responsibility in how we care for ourselves. It goes well beyond washing hands and wearing masks, it starts from what we put in our bodies and how we stay healthy.

Last I saw, the rate of hospitalization was flat across almost all age groups, even though mortality is much higher in the older brackets. So high infection rates can still overwhelm the hospital system, and when they start turning patients away the mortality rates will go up, possibly across the board.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last I saw, the rate of hospitalization was flat across almost all age groups, even though mortality is much higher in the older brackets. So high infection rates can still overwhelm the hospital system, and when they start turning patients away the mortality rates will go up, possibly across the board.

Not in Ohio. I can pull data and crunch most states. Have yet to ever see it flat across age groups though. The infection rate nationwide really hasn't budged. We've been tracking 8% for a while. Ohio is at 7%. That's a cumulative number thus you will see some fluctuations week to week. Really it's influenced by where the testing is done. Hot spots of course will be higher statewide for example it will level.

With the hype of this virus, I've been wondering if hospitalizations of some could be due to "omg I have corona I might die" vs they might make it through without the need of taking up a bed. I'm not saying its a safe virus, I'm saying maybe some liability protection is in play and some fear of death. I don't know the triage being done and I hope its very good and sensible.

Really it's influenced by where the testing is done. Hot spots of course will be higher statewide for example it will level.

Careful, hot spots don't exist because of increased testing. If that were the case, the % positive would remain fairly flat. It's not in AZ, TX, and FL, for sure.

With the hype of this virus, I've been wondering if hospitalizations of some could be due to "omg I have corona I might die" vs they might make it through without the need of taking up a bed. I'm not saying its a safe virus, I'm saying maybe some liability protection is in play and some fear of death. I don't know the triage being done and I hope its very good and sensible.

No one gets kept overnight without good reason, especially when beds are in short supply. Especially if you pay attention to ICU capacity.

Yea, that's not happening.

I will say, the lull in hospital census appears to be over where I am. The place has been packed for a few weeks now, and not with any particularly high amount of Covid cases. Its trauma season, so that's taking a large chunk of beds. Don't get sick right now.

Yea, that's not happening.

I will say, the lull in hospital census appears to be over where I am. The place has been packed for a few weeks now, and not with any particularly high amount of Covid cases. Its trauma season, so that's taking a large chunk of beds. Don't get sick right now.

I was doing some work in a hospital this past Monday and overheard some nurses complaining about all the vacationers getting hurt all weekend over the 4th.

I wonder if those vacationers weren't even hurt and they just went to the hospital because the media.

Lol. They do that. And then those lying doctors put pins and rods in bones that aren't even broken, and remove spleens that aren't bleeding. You know, because reimbursement and such.

Lol. They do that. And then those lying doctors put pins and rods in bones that aren't even broken, and remove spleens that aren't bleeding. You know, because reimbursement and such.

I see you live in my world

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.upworthy.com/amp/richard-rose-didnt-believe-in-wearing-masks-he-lost-his-life

In my circle of friends, a few of their kids have every single symptom. Have tested negative for all the usual suspects, yet each doctor has refused to test for Covid due to them not being in the demographic. Insanity. All have had up and down fevers, horrible coughs, etc for over a week.

Personally have known 3 that have died. 40s and early 50s. All very active and healthy. None were on any meds, or any pre existing conditions.

My girl is a teacher, and there have been two kids that lost both parents to Covid.

It’s wild to watch people try and rationalize all of this, to just a normal virus.

^^^ Oh look, a sane person!

From what I've seen, people get a lot more sane once their bubble is personally impacted by it.

Still some refuse to “buy into the hype”

I shut my business down weeks before my state (NC) required us to do so, and still haven’t opened my doors. I have friends in the medical field, and a friend that’s living in Italy. I haven’t fucked around since day 1, and I’m in my early 30s, active, healthy, no conditions. Not worth the risk, or the possibility to pass it along to someone else and ice them.

Still some refuse to “buy into the hype”

I shut my business down weeks before my state (NC) required us to do so, and still haven’t opened my doors. I have friends in the medical field, and a friend that’s living in Italy. I haven’t fucked around since day 1, and I’m in my early 30s, active, healthy, no conditions. Not worth the risk, or the possibility to pass it along to someone else and ice them.

I wish many would just take the time to think about this one statement before interacting with others. Whether I’m going to get it bad, or mild, I don’t want to get sick. Or worse yet pass it to someone who could die from it.

I wish many would just take the time to think about this one statement before interacting with others. Whether I’m going to get it bad, or mild, I don’t want to get sick. Or worse yet pass it to someone who could die from it.
It's not just being sick and getting better. It looks to have lasting effects for many. I realize this is in meme-form, but it saves me lots of typing.

5d2ee289c2d1291ebe0ebeb174854d6e.jpg

So..... We've been pretty careful about Covid. I've been off work since April 3, and the wife has worked from home when possible, but still has to go into nursing homes a couple times a week.

We've done nothing socially aside from a few socially distant outdoor visits with family, who are also cautious. We wear masks everywhere.

We've taken antibody tests and both were negative, she's been tested at work 3 times previously, all negative.

3ish days ago we both started feeling very lethargic and symptoms reminisce of a sinus infection. It hasn't gone away, and today I can't smell anything at all. (I'm talking bath and body candle to the face with zero smell). Consistent Sinus headache. It could be allergies, it could be a sinus infection or cold, or it could be Covid.

The wife was tested at one of her buildings on Friday and we haven't gone anywhere since. If we're positive, that should show.

She should have results by Tomorrow ( Monday).

What a joke right, three days for results from National guard testing?

I'll keep CR posted.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So..... We've been pretty careful about Covid. I've been off work since April 3, and the wife has worked from home when possible, but still has to go into nursing homes a couple times a week.

We've done nothing socially aside from a few socially distant outdoor visits with family, who are also cautious. We wear masks everywhere.

We've taken antibody tests and both were negative, she's been tested at work 3 times previously, all negative.

3ish days ago we both started feeling very lethargic and symptoms reminisce of a sinus infection. It hasn't gone away, and today I can't smell anything at all. (I'm talking bath and body candle to the face with zero smell). Consistent Sinus headache. It could be allergies, it could be a sinus infection or cold, or it could be Covid.

The wife was tested at one of her buildings on Friday and we haven't gone anywhere since. If we're positive, that should show.

I'll keep CR posted.

Have you lost your sense of taste too?

Good luck.

Have you lost your sense of taste too?

Good luck.

Partially, I'm eating a salad right now and can barely taste ranch!.... So yes

I'll keep CR posted.

Good luck man. Stay hydrated