5/27 SpaceX Launch

zeitgeist57

As someone who has had a fascination with space my whole life, watch every SpaceX mission and livestream, have had job interviews to work there, etc etc, this is the most exciting thing relating to space flight that has happened in my lifetime. I have the main SpaceX stream going, but i also have the Media stream going with just the comms on it. When Bob and Doug were getting strapped in, I got very emotional, and when they were doing the initial comm checks I got choked up again. This is going to be awesome! Commercialization of the "mundane" stuff like cargo and people is the way to go! It frees up NASA to do the really important exploration.

Godspeed, Bob and Doug!

New drinking game, drink every time they say "dragon" or "falcon"

Too late. Started my own. Drink every time you see a rocket, astronaut, or crew member.

Launch cancelled for today. Thanks for the reminder though Clay

Give 'em two weeks. They'll show ya.

I give credit to NASA...the live-streaming "show" was well done, with great commentary and informative updates on what was happening. I had it on my personal computer while working at home. Will try to catch the livestream again well before 3:22pm on Saturday.

Took the day off, drove two hours and dealt with some crazy amounts of people in Titusville to watch the launch, spend some time finding the perfect parking spot, got myself, gf and two kids ready to walk to Space View Park, only to get two blocks into the walk before hearing a traffic duty Sherrif announce it was scrubbed. It was a really nice day for a drive across Florida though. But, I'd much rather they scrub the launch instead of putting the mission and pilots in danger. May head back over Saturday.

Unrelated, but if you guys wanna see a boom SpaceX Starship SN4 just blew up on the test stand at the build site in Texas following it's 5th static fire test. Unexpected, but not a big deal, SN5 was basically already done and SN6 is about done. For those who don't know, this is SpaceX's next gen methane rocket that will replace the Falcon 9 and go to the Moon and Mars. This one was actually supposed to make a test "hop" on Monday.

Edited by Rally Pat
Linked better quality video with sound

Unrelated, but if you guys wanna see a boom SpaceX Starship SN4 just blew up on the test stand at the build site in Texas following it's 5th static fire test. Unexpected, but not a big deal, SN5 was basically already done and SN6 is about done. For those who don't know, this is SpaceX's next gen methane rocket that will replace the Falcon 9 and go to the Moon and Mars. This one was actually supposed to make a test "hop" on Monday.

RIP

Took the day off, drove two hours and dealt with some crazy amounts of people in Titusville to watch the launch, spend some time finding the perfect parking spot, got myself, gf and two kids ready to walk to Space View Park, only to get two blocks into the walk before hearing a traffic duty Sherrif announce it was scrubbed. It was a really nice day for a drive across Florida though. But, I'd much rather they scrub the launch instead of putting the mission and pilots in danger. May head back over Saturday.

Back in '06ish when we lived in FL, I took my wife and another couple 4hours from Naples to Kennedy Space Center. Had a great day there, and waited for a late afternoon shuttle launch that was scrubbed because of one stupid storm that was too close. Grabbed dinner nearby Titusville (I think it was Hooters), and discussed if we should stay overnight in a hotel in Orlando and try again the next day when it was re-scheduled to launch. I was the space geek that wanted to see the launch, but I was thinking of the other 3 that did'nt really care, and said let's just hustle back to Naples.

Next day, put the launch on TV....only to find out it was scrubbed again. Man, I'm glad I didn't put the wives through another day at KSC. :lol:

Sounds like it blew up after the test fire had finished. Hopefully they have clear data on what failed.

Sounds like it blew up after the test fire had finished. Hopefully they have clear data on what failed.

They haven't said anything (and often don't about the Starship tests, given they don't even publicize they are testing them), but it actually looks to be a failure with the LOX and Methane lines leading to the test fixture and where they hook in to the rocket. On one of the last static fires, they actually had a small insulation fire on the sleeving around it. May be related to that.

It was VERY COOL!!!! I was lucky enough to be in FLA for a shuttle launch years ago.

We were there with my son who was playing travel baseball in orlando.

We had the day off and were at a water park...all the sudden an announcement came across the loud speakers that a shuttle launch was about to happen, and they shut everything down and told us to look in a certain direction. You could hear a pin drop!

In a few minutes, we saw the shuttle crest the trees and climb out of sight.

People cheered like crazy, and my heart almost burst out of my chest with patriotism.

One of the biggest moments of my life!

Back in '06ish when we lived in FL, I took my wife and another couple 4hours from Naples to Kennedy Space Center. Had a great day there, and waited for a late afternoon shuttle launch that was scrubbed because of one stupid storm that was too close. Grabbed dinner nearby Titusville (I think it was Hooters), and discussed if we should stay overnight in a hotel in Orlando and try again the next day when it was re-scheduled to launch. I was the space geek that wanted to see the launch, but I was thinking of the other 3 that did'nt really care, and said let's just hustle back to Naples.

Next day, put the launch on TV....only to find out it was scrubbed again. Man, I'm glad I didn't put the wives through another day at KSC. :lol:

Dodged a bullet there lol. I’ll definitely head over for another launch at some point. Would also love to take a tour at Kennedy once things open back up.