1975 Rockwood Roadking 2002 - the new "family truckster"

zeitgeist57

Welp...since starting a family 12 years ago, my wife and I had talked about getting an RV, as I'm sure every family does. Going out west, living our best life, #YOLO blah blah blah. Of course, everytime I'd see friends rent an RV, or someone had one, I'd start researching and feverishly go quickly down the rabbit hole until I'm seeing Prevost diesel pushers with 3 slide-outs. :lol:

Last summer, we did have a college reunion at a fraternity brothers' farm in NY, and we used RVShare.com to rent a trailer. We had a wonderful time, and felt committed to do something (trailer/RV) in the near future but with no real plans. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129580&highlight=rvshare

Fast forward to the last month or so through COVID-19...with me being WFH, and most summer sports/events being cancelled, my wife and I discussed the annual family trip to FL. Since I can't meet clients or go to an office, I can drive down with wife/kids instead of flying. Why not stay down there the whole time? In fact, if we're driving, let's bring the bunnies and make an adventure of it! LET'S RENT AN RV!

Some friends have been 1-800-GO-RVing for the last 2-3 years, and I'd ask about prices. Expect, with mileage, to spend $4k a month for a 5-passenger Class C RV. I go online, and I'm not even finding anything in inventory for rent. I hit up a CR member who I know has an RV, and he had sold it...but quickly sent a couple of CL ads for Class C RVs for sale. I had already been looking for some sub-$7500 RVs just for funsies, but with Wifey-approval, shit got real, real quick.

1975 Rockwood RoadKing 2002. Built on a Dodge Sportsman B200 chassis. Same owner since 1980, guy lived less than 1.5 miles from my house. 360ci V8, A727 Torqueflite, dually rear. PO is the nicest guy, knows every bolt and nut, and it was very clean with full maintenance manuals, and every manual, brochure, and instruction book. It's old but in a classic, well-maintained standpoint. It has a ton of upgrades including big sway bars front and rear, and a GearVendors OD unit. Even has a Holley Pro-Jection kit in the box I got...will post a thread about whether I should put it on or just sell it? 2bbl carb runs great.

Wife and kids are super excited to take it to FL next month. We're going to do a shorter trip to Mansfield to stretch it out and make sure systems are good. Only problem I have is the engine A/C stopped working (all intact but the sight window on the drier is showing bubbles. Main RV A/C works great, as do all the appliances) and the rear bias-ply tires are dry-rotted.

Got a bunch of extra parts as well. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up on the outside, wife and kids are looking at "RV projects" on the inside. Pics and updates to come!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for lack of pics...I was with the seller for over 2 hours just going over everything. He's a retired C'Bus fireman, and he had booklets and notes for everything. This RV is now a part of me and I've only put 15 miles on it.:lol: He's my kind of guy, though...cutting the front license plate recess in the bumper for a trans cooler and LOOK DAT JCWHITNEY CHIN SPOILER...

ultTlKOl.jpg

It's right there...between the Lincoln and the truck. You can't see it? It'S rIgHt ThErE.

More pics to come when I wash it tomorrow.

SNBypvml.jpg

Yeeeeaaahhh...dry-rotted bias-ply tires on 16.5” wheels ain’t gonna cut it.

5d7zX9al.jpg

I’ve reached the upper limit of my jacks and impact gun. :lol:

uIVVmw3l.jpg

Props to All-City Auto Parts. They had 4 dually and 3 fronts (1 spare) for the RV in 16”. Now I have a lot more choices in Load E radial tires!

PO had it parked behind his house, under some seedling trees and honeysuckle bushes. Basically covered most of it up from sun exposure, and there was a good amount of algae. I used Dawn and gave it a good scrub and light power-washing. It got too dark for pics, but looks much better.

xvlYxhUl.jpg

My MiL is an awesome seamstress and rocked out new curtains and cushion covers overnight that update the interior AMAZINGLY (still woody '70s but muted earth tones instead of the crazy patterns before). Plus, it smelled fine before, a bit old-people musty....but now it's much, much better. We're going towards CLE to meet my parents for a lunch and let them hang out with the kids, and this will be a good shakedown run.

QUubypZl.jpg

I know this is Columbus RACING but with 3 kids, I'm having a blast fixing up this long-held older truck to something pretty special, and my wife and kids' excitement is infectious. I filled up the 26gal tank this afternoon and my daughter lept in the passenger seat with a huge grin on her face for the ride. It's got ceramic longtube headers and Borla SS dual mufflers so when I get on the gas (even with a 2bbl carb) it sounds rowdy and we both laughed.

I take pride in whatever I buy and have fun driving it...I work harder for more out of my life, but really find joy in simpler automobiles: fixing little things and getting them to run/drive better than I found them. Hoping this thing holds up well tomorrow!

Pre -1991-1992 RV's are so cool, but are a pain because driving them much over 55 just destroys most of the old big blocks. Small Block 360 AND a Gear Vendors Overdrive - should be a good cruising combination!

Love our 27' Holiday Rambler Vacationer just because it's new enough to have F.I. and an overdrive transmission.