Craftsman/Kobalt, tool truck stuff, or new tool companies?

zeitgeist57

With all the YT car content I watch, there are a few guys hyping up these tool companies sponsoring their videos. I'm assuming the tools are made overseas and assembled in kits here in the USA.

https://sonictoolsusa.com/shop/sonic-foam-system

https://tengtoolsusa.com/

I use HF for throwaway tools, but my Craftsman sockets and wrenches are getting a little banged up after 15+ years. Has anyone used any of these new-name tools, aside from Matco, Snap-On, etc?

Moreover, will Lowes still honor the lifetime warranty on Craftsman? I broke a universal joint for my socket set and went to Nutter Hardware: they will not honor Craftsman replacements unless you bought from them.

With all the YT car content I watch, there are a few guys hyping up these tool companies sponsoring their videos. I'm assuming the tools are made overseas and assembled in kits here in the USA.

https://sonictoolsusa.com/shop/sonic-foam-system

https://tengtoolsusa.com/

I use HF for throwaway tools, but my Craftsman sockets and wrenches are getting a little banged up after 15+ years. Has anyone used any of these new-name tools, aside from Matco, Snap-On, etc?

Moreover, will Lowes still honor the lifetime warranty on Craftsman? I broke a universal joint for my socket set and went to Nutter Hardware: they will not honor Craftsman replacements unless you bought from them.

I like my Kobalt stuff. However Lowes will only warranty craftsman stuff if you have a lowes receipt to go with it. If not, they give you an address to send back tools to and I've heard of people only getting stanley branded tools back for the craftsman they sent in.

Gearwrench has been my other go to lately for nicer ratchets and tools.

Obviously I have alot of tool truck tools given my job, mostly Snapon, but I have some Gearwrench branded stuff that has held up very well. The 3/8” ratchets I use every day and have for close to 10 years area Gearwrench, and they have been fantastic. KD tools is Gearwrench’s parent company and they make good stuff.

Harbor Freight honestly just keeps getting better and better, especially when it doesn’t get used everyday professionally it’s pretty hard to beat. I want to try their new Icon line of tools but just haven’t had a reason to buy any.

I am over Craftsman, and have been for a long time now. My grandfather worked at Sears autocenter and retired from there in the 80s so I have a soft spot for them, not to mention some older (maybe collectible) tools I inherited. They had awesome tools that built their great reputation, by the time Sears sold the brand there was nothing great about them. They basically became adequate and there were better options everywhere, now it’s just a name and I refuse to buy them.

I have a bit of everything. Gearwrench has been my overall favorite. I order from amazon or get it at advanced auto when they run sales. I purchased a kit at advanced and when I got home I noticed the same part number now had an updated high tooth ratchet. I called them, got a real person in the states with no real wait and she shipped me the newer ratchet free.

Sonic’s only appeal is the foam tray loaded boxes. Their tools are way over priced imo. Harbor freight or used truck brand for boxes. Love my matco box.

I just want tools that don't rust. The small amount of snap-on and mac stuff I have doesn't seem to ever, some of my craftsman does, some craftsman doesn't.

Is there an in between? Is the difference here "full polish" or what? Learn me.

I also just recently inherited a big 'ol red 75th Anniversary Snap-On box that makes we want to upgrade some of my old crusty tools.

That's pretty compelling. I'd like to see someone do a side by side disassemble to compare the parts and assemblies in the two jacks. Testing them side by side to destruction would be pretty interesting as well.

I will say I have both SAE and Metric impact sockets from HF, and I use the SHIT out of them:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-drive-metric-impact-deep-socket-set-13-pc-69561.html

They've never broken, rounded off a nut, etc and I've had them at the end of 750lb impact force, dropped them, hit'em...

I ask the topic question because I agree with Scott: it seems like HF (some if not many of their main tools) has indeed gotten a lot better.

That's pretty compelling. I'd like to see someone do a side by side disassemble to compare the parts and assemblies in the two jacks. Testing them side by side to destruction would be pretty interesting as well.

In the metals industry, it was always fairly common knowledge that there are only a few actual tool makers in the world so this isn't a surprise to me at all.

A big one used to be Danaher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danaher_Corporation

They used to be the force behind craftsman, don't think they are anymore though.

Harbor freight for me has gotten to where you have to watch the prices very closely and get the cheapest brand they carry to get the value out of the tool. They started carrying more than just the Chicago electric stuff and it's too pricey for the junk that it is so I just go buy Milwaukee or something similar at Lowe's.

I love my old harbor freight tools and still have a ton of them that I use constantly.

Harbor freight for me has gotten to where you have to watch the prices very closely and get the cheapest brand they carry to get the value out of the tool. They started carrying more than just the Chicago electric stuff and it's too pricey for the junk that it is so I just go buy Milwaukee or something similar at Lowe's.

I love my old harbor freight tools and still have a ton of them that I use constantly.

I agree completely. You go in there now and not really much is cheap anymore. Would rather go to spartan tool or home depot. I get harbor freight wants to have more of a reliable reputation, but dont go away from what made them popular.

Dipping in here...

My dad was quite high up (director/VP) in distribution for MAC tools when he retired. If anyone is serious about some orders or group buys, I can refer to him for some contacts and probably get you a better than normal discount.

So $35 a week for life instead of 40 for a 72” box?

I agree completely. You go in there now and not really much is cheap anymore. Would rather go to spartan tool or home depot. I get harbor freight wants to have more of a reliable reputation, but dont go away from what made them popular.

Some things have drastically risen in price, the motorcycle lift for instance used to have a $289 blow out sale price and now it's $329-349 with the coupon.

Other things are still stupid cheap, their wood workbench with a wood vice is still $115-119 on coupon sale and it's an excellent bench for what it is.

Sometimes they are the only game in town. Recently I needed a 1.5" socket for the clutch on my old harley. Sears is gone so that wasn't an option, and Home depot, Lowes, True Value, and Do it Best only had sockets up to 1 1/8". Harbor freight had a "giant socket set" for $70 that came with 3/4" drive ratchet that has been stellar so far. The same socket in craftsman is like $12 just for the one. Even if i found a $10 one off amazon I would still have to wait for it in the mail.