Jalopnik - too many ads?

zeitgeist57

I’ve enjoyed reading Jalopnik for years, but it seems like there are so many f**king ads that when I try to launch a video, it crashes my iPhone browser saying something like “there was a repeated error loading this content” or something.

Curious if it happens to other people, and what I can do about it? Thx!

Agreed. I can't even navigate the site now. I just want to read fun articles but every time I try to click on an article, I'm somehow now in the racing section which I'm not interested (it's all F1 cars and nascar now apparently)
They've upped their IndyCar content a lot.

If you click "Latest" at the top you get back to the traditional format, but I still think the quality of content has dropped quite a bit. They lost a lot of writers recently.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

David Tracy is pretty much the only one worth reading on jalopnik these days. just waiting for the day he realizes his content is more valuable and the site is holding him back and then strikes out on his own for youtube, MTOD, or Autotrader like DDM, Hoovie, Tavarish, et al.

that said, I only read it on firefox or google chrome and with ad block. I don't bother with mobile for reading jalopnik, but once in a while it does come up in my apple news app on my iphone. If I read it in the news app there aren't many ads if at all. I just checked it and there weren't any ads at all across 4 articles. So maybe try that.

in browser ad blocker plus run a pi-hole network wide ad blocker and very rarely do I see an ad no a days.

ssstoooppppp im slowly working on making him move to full ubiquiti and dont need this right now :p

David Tracy is pretty much the only one worth reading on jalopnik these days.

Yes, dude needs his own site or youtube channel. He could quickly climb up the ranks and be on par with Mike Finnigans youtube channel.

They lost a lot of writers recently.

I always seem to hear that whenever people are discussing Jalopnik. Nothing deeper, just always comes up.

Quit reading years ago when it became super slow to load on my phone.

I always seem to hear that whenever people are discussing Jalopnik. Nothing deeper, just always comes up.

Turnover is huge over there. Their model is kind of open platform but it doesn't encourage anybody to stay. Anyone can create content with Kinja, but it's hard to get people to read it without a following. Plus there is no incentive to stay, once you get a following because they don't pay all that well.

I was an independent contractor with Jalopnik 10+ years ago in the old Gawker days, and it was a bitch and a half to get paid. Every invoice took 2 months for them to pay, and sometimes not at all. They still owe me $500 from 2009, :lolguy:. I don't know if that much has changed since Univision bought them.

• 2 weeks later...

Quit reading years ago when it became super slow to load on my phone.

They just lost another writer, Andrew Collins, to The Drive.

• 3 weeks later...
I clicked on Jalopnik just now for a Torchinsky update (first time I've gone on the site in over a week) and they must've done something with both the layout, and the ads. Much easier to navigate and read articles without too much ad interference.