Cell phone issues

2 Sweet

The last couple phones I’ve owned over the years were unlocked for use on any carrier. I had an LG G6 that was originally a Verizon phone that worked on my network (T-Mobile). Now I have an LG G8 that seems to have originally been a Sprint phone that I again use on T-Mobile.

When I got both of these phones, it was fairly easy to set up the proper APN to get MMS and everything working like it should, but I’ve noticed with both phones there will be times when I have strong reception and someone will call me, and it goes straight to voicemail. Texting and sending messages on various apps still work fine but the phone won’t receive a call, almost like it’s shut off or I don’t have any cellular service.

Here’s the thing, I had kind of found a bandaid fix with my old phone. As soon as I would dial out, it would suddenly start working fine and then it would receive calls no problem, usually for the rest of the day. I got in the habit of just calling Lowe’s or some random place every morning and hanging up as soon as it starts to ring, just to make sure my phone was working and I wasn’t missing any calls.

Now with the new phone, I’ve been testing it out and that doesn’t seem to be working, it’s a lot more intermittent. I have anywhere from 2 to 4 bars, LTE most of the time but noticed it fluctuating to G or E as soon as I dial out or call the phone. Sometimes it’ll receive the call, usually it goes straight to VM. I’ve been testing it out this morning, using my work phone to call the cell phone every 5 minutes or so, and it goes to VM every time. The only time it rings is right after I’ve restarted the phone.

What the hell is going on?

I've got an s9 with verizon service...bought it new and have always been setup on the verizon network. My phone does the same thing sometimes the call comes through and other times I notice I've miss a call and have to pick up my vm.

I just figured in was in a dead section during that time. But that time cal be in different rooms of my house.

So it just the cell phone service I feel....I know that was no help ..

This happens to me as well on VZW. I have an Essential PH-1 unlocked and works fine most of the time, but sometimes I will get a random VM and never had a call at all. Wonder if its an Android thing? Hoping a Apple user will chime in with feedback.

If they have to tell you in the name of the phone that it's essential a phone and you have problems with it working as a phone how are you trying to blame the service?

I had an old windows phone that use to do that with T-mobile. It had something to do with available 4G bands, even though the phone was unlocked it couldn't access all the carrier provided bands so the phone would drop on and off even though it had a good signal.

But I also had an old provider that used to claim dropped calls being due to sunspots...never bought into that one