Custom fuel tank?

zeitgeist57

Anyone recommend a local source to make an aluminum fuel tank? This one is long but I'm documenting the problem for future reference. :)

My 1975 Dodge CB300-based RV has a plastic tank. I believe it's 22gal, as that's what the gauge bottoms out at before I need to fill it up. I'd love to get 26-30gal just to extend the 200-220mile range between fill-ups. Plus, I have to mention that the P.O. ran a Holley Projection EFI kit with a hole in the tank for the fuel pump that he patched up...that is now dripping after I fill it up. :fa: Not safe, and the plastic tank is super old and doesn't look like it can be repaired. Would need removed over the winter anyway to see what my tank options are for 2021.

In addition, the current dual exhaust goes over the axle, and the plastic tank has two large coves out of the bottom to clearance the exhaust. I am planning on re-routing the dual 2.5"s to a single outlet, or at least have the duals dump out the sides ahead of the rear wheels to eliminate the over-exhaust piping. Should easily get some additional volume from the fuel tank by eliminating the bump-ins.

Figuring a new tank for the 1-ton Dodge chassis is $250+ shipped from websites I've seen, I'm curious how tough it would be to have a local shop make a tank out of the existing tank and it's dimensions as a template, and what the cost is. I cannot imagine there's any internal baffling or complex structure on the factory plastic tank. Plus, the filler neck for the RV body (top-side facing) looks to be in a different location from the 1-ton pickup chassis tank (rear facing)...any possible factory tanks may need modding to make the filler neck work on the RV body.

Alternatively, is there a website out there for RV parts, including gas tanks, that I might be able to search for a tank that might work? Thanks as always, CR!

• 3 months later...

Guys, bringing up this thread again...finally called Flood Heliarc (per Kevan's recommendation as mentioned above) and they said they don't do this sort of work?

Nickey - thanks for the recommendation and will call them.

Any other suggestions? Possibly locally?

https://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/200-032-NF/10002/-1

what's wrong with an off the shelf plastic 32 gal fuel tank?

Filler neck would be a problem. Doubt he wants to cut a hole in the floor and run the gas fill nozzle inside the RV. If it was a metal tank, then maybe weld on a large bung on the side to connect the filler neck to.

Filler neck would be a problem. Doubt he wants to cut a hole in the floor and run the gas fill nozzle inside the RV. If it was a metal tank, then maybe weld on a large bung on the side to connect the filler neck to.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/260-132-NF/10002/-1

they sell a version with a remote fill neck.

The filler cap on jaz fuel cells is removable also so you can fab up what you need to connect to a stock fuel location.

B300 vans had a factory option for 36 gallon plastic fuel cells (for ambulance duty), if you can find one it's a bolt in. Northwest Metal Products used to make a drop in replacement 45 gallon tank for Ramchargers that would also fit B series vans. It requires an external fuel pump, but it's the hot setup for dodge off roaders.