Carb to EFI conversion?

zeitgeist57

The '75 Dodge RV is going under the knife this winter. Wifey-approved for some interior and mechanical upgrades to make it more enjoyable and functional in the coming years.

Three big powertrain problems with this thing: 1) oil leaks, 2) R12 A/C needs converted, and the Big 3) The Holley 2245 2bbl carb is a piece of junk.

I'm always trying to keep things within a reasonable budget, but this long-term family hauler is OK for some $$ upgrades if it makes sense. I am going to have to install a new fuel tank to get better range, and if I'm going to make a carb-to-EFI conversion I want to decide that beforehand in case the new tank needs fuel-return provisions, in-tank fuel pump, etc...

1) Keep the 2BBL

+ cheapest, easiest mod. Just get a more common Holley 2300 or similar, no fuel mods, throttle mods, etc.

- Low HP, no towing/elevation improvement if we get a tow-behind or go out West (both conversations we're having)

2) Go 4BBL carb

+ Solves drivability issues over 2BBL, Boost in power (40hp) with not a lot of other mods.

- Fuel economy, big step-up in cost, full intake changes

3) Go EFI

+ Best drivability/efficiency improvement, should be ideal power relative to air-fuel ratio.

- cost,cost,cost...and maximum modifications (engine intake, fuel lines, tank, wiring, etc)

I had a 1st-gen Holley ProJection EFI that I sold, as the P.O. had it on the RV back in the '90s for less than a year and went back to carb. This is not a classic musclecar; i'm not driving it often and I don't know if the cost for EFI is worth it.

If I can get a good Edelbrock or Holley 4BBL carb/intake setup for less than $600-700, that definitely seems to make the most sense to solve 2BBL issues and add power.

To put away the nuclear option: the 360 runs really well and the P.O. put some good work into it over the years, including long-tubes. An engine swap is out of the question for this stage of ownership. :gabe:

Just curious if anyone out there is swearing by the Holley EFI or FITech systems over carbs for a weekend cruiser enough to recommend them. We've certainly gotten to a great place in the aftermarket where EFI and max tunability can be had for less than $1500.

I would only consider a Holley Sniper if I was in your shoes and wanted to put some money into it. You could even do the 2300 2 barrel kit. A basic in tank pump with a return is what I would recommend since your doing a tank anyway.

With that said you'll have to put a little effort into setting it up correctly. Its not a plug it in and go system as it claims. I learned everything on my own on how to tune my BBC with sniper and now with the Terminator LS setup. The software is pretty user friendly imo.

I would go EFI hands down. If you do everything right with a carb then it’ll be good most of the time, but do everything right with EFI and it’ll be good all of the time. From a tuning standpoint Fitech sucks, there is no resolution to the tables in the tune, this may work ok since it’s not a modified hotrod, but I don’t like it. Holley is becoming the industry standard in aftermarket EFI for a reason. Besides there is alot of people playing with the Holley stuff out there so I think support would be better.

Get a 4 barrel Holley setup, get over the cost, make sure it’s installed right, make sure the exhaust isn’t going to leak (so the O2 works right), and when you get into some hills or tow something It’ll just chug along. Profit.

Please excuse my ignorance of carbs, I can't find comparisons of the 2245 VS 2300.

Can you not do the Holley Snipper 2300 with your intake manifold?

I assume the 2245 and 2300 intake flange is the same from your original post talking about upgrading to the 2300 and not needing a new intake.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/holley-sniper-chrysler-small-block-v8~131073-11665-9

Is there a distributor option that's worth waiting for, like the SBC/BBC kits? Kinda sucks to spend $1300+$400 for an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold and still have the factory dizzy.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/holley-sniper-chrysler-small-block-v8~131073-11665-9

Is there a distributor option that's worth waiting for, like the SBC/BBC kits? Kinda sucks to spend $1300+$400 for an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold and still have the factory dizzy.

The option I like for Mopars, is putting a the Pertronix dizzy in with the Ignitor III module already installed. Or just put a Ignitor III module in your existing distributor. I've done both and would recommend either or.

I installed the matching Hyperspark distributor in the BBC after doing the initial Sniper install. I noticed next to no improvement in performance and/or drivability. I wouldn't spend the money on that again for your setup. Just get something reliable whether that's OEM or normal aftermarket dizzy stuff.

The option I like for Mopars, is putting a the Pertronix dizzy in with the Ignitor III module already installed. Or just put a Ignitor III module in your existing distributor. I've done both and would recommend either or.

The factory '75 dizzy is already inductive pickup...I guess that should work as long as the Mopar ignition modules hold up.

The factory '75 dizzy is already inductive pickup...I guess that should work as long as the Mopar ignition modules hold up.

Then an Ignitor III would still be an upgrade. It retards timing to start, multi-spark through the whole range, and has a built in rev limiter. It's like having an MSD box without the extra box.

My suggestion will probably be the least loved option. Get the edelbrock performer spread-bore intake and put a well sorted quadrajet on it.