Shop building questions, must haves, not worth its, etc...

cstmg8

Starting a new thread because it has taken so long to get this shop started. I keep coming up with price/necessity/aesthetic conflicts and it's tough to choose.

My current decision is door height. Do I really need 10' doors or will 8' suffice?? I don't have a motorhome/camper and have no intentions to get one. The main situation I can think of, is if I want to back a trailer with a vehicle on it into the garage.

What did you go with and have you found it necessary?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by cstmg8

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 2 10x10 roll up doors coming for my shop. They don't cost any more than shorter doors and I needed at least one to fit my military truck anyway.

Residential height doors are really limiting and full-size vans and SUVs can scrape if there is any step up into the garage or the door springs need adjustment.

I got 2 10x10 roll up doors coming for my shop. They don't cost any more than shorter doors and I needed at least one to fit my military truck anyway.

Residential height doors are really limiting and full-size vans and SUVs can scrape if there is any step up into the garage or the door springs need adjustment.

Due to size of the building my doors are 10x10. I wish I could go roll up, but they need to be more decorative. I Definitely will not go standard residential, which I believe is closer to 7'. My 4runner barely fits in my attached garage.

8' would be minimum. The 10x10 door choices that make the wife happy are about $3k a piece.

Moved into our house in 2013. Have a detached garage with 8' double door. Also have a 28'x40' shop with a 10' double door. That all said, when we bought our house, I never thought I would have bought a side by side and a boat. The boat fits just nice by height in the shop. The side by side on the trailer, can fit in the shop too. Without the trailer, I park the side by side in the garage. Wish the garage doors were 10'. Point being, go bigger and cry once. You may want it later.

to quote an old aviation adage - there is nothing more useless than the sky above you, the runway behind you, or the fuel not in your tank....

in other words - you may not NEED a 10' door every day, but there will be a day where you will need it at least once and you will be thankful you have it. go 10'

I'm having a 30x40 built that has 12' tall side walls. I went with a single overhead 18x10 R17 insulated door. I'm also having the entire building bubble wrapped. I don't know if going with a single large door like that was a mistake or not. I didn't want to have to install 2 openers and I didn't want a post down the center of the front of the building.

I wish I could have gone with a larger building, but due to placement and township restrictions I couldn't. I already have a fairly large shed on the lot. Both buildings together cannot exceed the total sq ft of the house. Lame, but it is what it is.

I'm having a 30x40 built that has 12' tall side walls. I went with a single overhead 18x10 R17 insulated door. I'm also having the entire building bubble wrapped. I don't know if going with a single large door like that was a mistake or not. I didn't want to have to install 2 openers and I didn't want a post down the center of the front of the building.

I wish I could have gone with a larger building, but due to placement and township restrictions I couldn't. I already have a fairly large shed on the lot. Both buildings together cannot exceed the total sq ft of the house. Lame, but it is what it is.

that sucks dude, I was going to tell you my 50x60 building is just too small for me and I never thought in a million years that I would use up all that space. (when I was originally specing out the building I was thinking 30x40 and my father in law told me figure out the size you want then double it.)

Progress is looking good so far.

that sucks dude, I was going to tell you my 50x60 building is just too small for me and I never thought in a million years that I would use up all that space. (when I was originally specing out the building I was thinking 30x40 and my father in law told me figure out the size you want then double it.)

I was originally just wanting a 24x24 mainly due to limited funds at the time. But after selling the other house to the developer, I was able to pocket some of the extra money and go with a larger building. Although not twice the size, it's still larger than initially planned.

Mine got expensive due to our site. The only place to put it was between the attached garage and the pond which allowed for a 32x32. The grade change got expensive and I basically have a full foundation with fill. Honestly, I know you can never have big enough, but with the attached 35x27, it'll be dedicated shop and serve my needs.

As for the doors, I want 10' height, I was just looking at price and the fact that I'd like to build a loft which would have been nice at 8'.

The back of mine was only a little over one foot lower than the front and here we don't have to worry about frost lines so I ordered 30 tons of fill and rented an excavator for a day to get it level. I just installed the slab forms and am waiting for the hurricane to move out so I can do the Rebar and get someone to come finish the concrete.

I went with the biggest possible. It makes worlds difference when getting stuff in and out. I have 2 16' wide by 12' tall doors on my shop. While you dont think you'll ever need them that big, one day you might.

ya, that's what I was saying... It's pretty sad that I feel my 3k sq foot garage is too small lol

Installed a 24 X 32 X 12 (Height) and love the extra room to get stuff in and out of the building. If I get back to wrenching on cars I might install a lift and it will make a difference. Remember most garage door openers do not support a 10 foot door and I had to buy a combo from Amazon that included a Chamberlain opener (MED lifting power) with an extension kit. Not super expensive at about $240 and only complaint is the MyQ (Wifi monitoring) does not work because it is a metal building. I am researching I might be able to extend the cable outside somehow to get it working.

Installed a 24 X 32 X 12 (Height) and love the extra room to get stuff in and out of the building. If I get back to wrenching on cars I might install a lift and it will make a difference. Remember most garage door openers do not support a 10 foot door and I had to buy a combo from Amazon that included a Chamberlain opener (MED lifting power) with an extension kit. Not super expensive at about $240 and only complaint is the MyQ (Wifi monitoring) does not work because it is a metal building. I am researching I might be able to extend the cable outside somehow to get it working.
This was my thought also, hence the 10' doors. I'm also running the tracks up the scissor trusses to gain the open headroom over the lift.

I believe that the important part is a stronger spring to handle the weight.

Aside from price, my other issue was the desire to have a loft over half of the building. This would be best at an 8ft ceiling, negating one of the 10' doors. I'm going to explore the option of building the loft in the rear of the building.

I think I could make a 16x16' loft work, but it'll involve a post or two. Trade-offs.....

I finished running my electrical and network conduits to my garage site today. I have the concrete forms done and am picking up rebar tomorrow morning.

I'm also planning a loft, right now I'm thinking 16x20, though I'll probably wait a while on it and it might change as I get to using the building. I have enough to do and lumber prices will be more stable by the time I'm ready.