Shop building questions, must haves, not worth its, etc...

cstmg8

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, thats close to the pond. Looks great though!
Yeah, as you can see, my building size was pretty much determined by the area between the house and pond.

The idea behind the "retaining wall" is to build up some earth there in order to drive my zero turn across.

The foundation is 12' from the house and about 8-9' at the closet point to the pond. Hoping to get about 6-7' of dirt flat enough to drive the mower across.

It's a start. I'll get a much better idea when I can start final grade. Busy this weekend, but may rent equipment next weekend. I'd love to get some straw and seed down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

36f74a5dc4fdae0d74ca4368e11a95ef.jpg

I dig the set up. Also creates some back yard privacy sitting back from the house a little like that.
That was definitely taken into consideration. It was a toss-up between not blocking the view of the pond when you pull back the driveway, or gaining a bit more seclusion in the backyard. Honestly didn't have much choice for placement, 2.5 acres goes quickly with a house, pond, and shop.

The kids spend a lot of time in the backyard, so I don't hate that it blocks them a bit. We're going to plan a bunch of trees on the other side of the yard this year.

• 1 month later...
Your almost there! Is there any special thickness or hardware being installed in the concrete for the lift? I've never looked into that types requirements. I did install additional thickness through the center of my pad for future 2 post lifts, however I'm still up in the air as to whether I'll actually install one.

Probably could have gotten a size bigger on the mini, but this got it done without causing more damage than good.9468e88801fbc338432b2929d6a20fca.jpgbcb02c72180ee960a20de0a7abab8bc1.jpg

Tomorrow I'll set the frames and piping, then it's ready for the concrete prep.

It took me about 5 hours with a quick dinner break to dig the pits and unload the cart by hand. An extra young back to trade off between the excavator and the cart would have cut time substantially.

I'll be sore tomorrow.....

c68613153091194c6e610e497cf951d5.jpg4adb4069c9a65928662e3cf27e7d0bf3.jpg

Tired of waiting on the deadbeat contractor to get the roof and cement done, so I started installing the siding that was delivered on Thursday. Not a bad start today, just need batten strips on the lower section, Then the gable.b2814ed722410e96e1ab4ca16a226066.jpg

Looking awesome :cool:

Nice Tyvek. I used to work at Holmes!

Looks like Hardie siding?

Yes sir, delivered from the Plain City store. I guess they carry most of the hardie products, so they delivered all the way to Pickerington.

I'm going to have to dig the real ladders and walk planks out for the gables.

Yes sir, delivered from the Plain City store. I guess they carry most of the hardie products, so they delivered all the way to Pickerington.

I'm going to have to dig the real ladders and walk planks out for the gables.

Good choice on the Hardie. Yep that's correct, the Plain City store has more Hardie products in stock than anyone else. That's the location I worked at :D

Still no concrete.

I got the lower section of the north wall sided, and a pretty decent grading done. May not be final, but good enough to get some seed and straw down. Two sides to go!237b6ab4a5c7c2b891d7223eef1720e4.jpg

That's looking pretty good man. I haven't gotten back out to do anything in mine. my daughter's have been keeping me busy so I've been clearing brush in my front yard and now the weather is getting hot so I'll be inside or on the beach until fall lol.

I have been doing light maintenance on the cars and it's great finally having a good functional place to do that.

Things are happening, even if slowly. They got the cement down and finished, overall pretty happy with the finish.

f8bbf229bea442159ac5d770d1c454e0.jpg I spent a couple evenings getting the grade raked and rocks picked up. Spread seed and straw, it won't be the final, and I'm sure we'll tear some of it up in construction. It feels good to have some finished space though.96732d5fb24c47f4752692d7853077a9.jpg2eae053dbbbeed418ffbb0bc2339a54a.jpg

I'm going to do a little more rock work along the pond with some smaller stones, but overall it turned out pretty well. I can definitely drive the mower through there.1af3c73a028e7924668f16838cb0bc72.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Little more progress, I got the board and batten finished on all 3 sides. Installed a window and man door, and worked on the rocks along the pond. Grass is coming in decently. The deadbeat contractor just has to finish the front metal roof/fascia, and soffit. I've decided that if I catch up to him and his work is holding me up he's fires and I'll finish it. My 71 yr old father in law and I (39), have worked circles around him, working only Saturdays and Sundays.3ea1382b45a98ef5c979c20ac28f59e9.jpgaa9bc7ba9cf634b5b3b5444591e8b590.jpg93377dbc2601593871b977fac1cb7fff.jpg

FiL has a fanTASTIC mustache. The rest of the project is just OK. ;)
Hahahaha, he was being goofy in the picture, but his mustache is out of control. He had it really grown out pre pandemic and it drove his wife crazy because when they'd go out to eat around the short north, all of the young hipster guys would compliment it.

You'll probably see him with me at the next CC&C event, I was bummed that I was on lake Erie during the east side meet.