Shop building questions, must haves, not worth its, etc...

cstmg8

I finished running my electrical and network conduits to my garage site today. I have the concrete forms done and am picking up rebar tomorrow morning.

I'm also planning a loft, right now I'm thinking 16x20, though I'll probably wait a while on it and it might change as I get to using the building. I have enough to do and lumber prices will be more stable by the time I'm ready.

Having a loft is super nice. I do plan on adding a way to get parts up to it other than carrying stuff up and down stairs.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my thought also, hence the 10' doors. I'm also running the tracks up the scissor trusses to gain the open headroom over the lift.

I believe that the important part is a stronger spring to handle the weight.

Aside from price, my other issue was the desire to have a loft over half of the building. This would be best at an 8ft ceiling, negating one of the 10' doors. I'm going to explore the option of building the loft in the rear of the building.

I think I could make a 16x16' loft work, but it'll involve a post or two. Trade-offs.....

Also might be doing a small space (24 X 12) for storage/mezzanine like on the side w/o the main door.. I current have the 36 inch door to the right and the double door to the left (Mezzanine would be on the right)

Also installed a 77 inch ceiling fan to help move air

Outlets were installed every 4 foot pole (11 total). Debated on installing a 220/240 v one, but compressor is 110 and do not own a welder (Yet)

Edited by Second Gen

Looking great rocky. It'll be a relief to finally get there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I know right, I've made due with single and barely adequate 2 car garages forever and I'm finally in a position to get myself a shop, its still not gonna be huge, but it will do way more than I've ever had and I've been thinking about it so long and the last few years creating it in sketch up and thinking about ideas that I've got it down to how its gonna work out very well for me. I'm almost ready to pour concrete at this point I have a bunch of rebar I'm gonna lay down this weekend if all goes well and I have a concrete guy who's gonna come do the pour and finishing, I'd do it myself, but that's just to much concrete for me by myself.

The building materials should arrive in about a month and it should go up in two days, I'm really excited and at the same time its hard to get my head around it actually happening because its eluded me for so long.

• 2 months later...
Right there with you dude. My installer just called today and are coming tomorrow. It's all steel so I should have a structure by the weekend.
I hate you.......

J/k , make sure to keep us updated with pics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ended up with right at 16' to the bottom-center of the truss. Should allow for a decent storage loft in the right half, and plenty for the lifts in the left.

Very cool. Dumb question, why do they lay the 2x4's horizontal on the walls?
Tractor is correct, though I'm not siding with metal. It'll be Hardie siding, lap on the front and board and baton on the other 3 sides and false gable.

Those are actually 2x6's on mine, it puts the framing flush with the inside of the posts, so I'll have flat walls once insulated and finished.

I'll be adding a vertical brace in the center of each section.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting to the point that I can do some work myself. I placed two of the three sandstones for my retaining wall by the pond. Left just enough room to get the lull through! (12')cc2f64ec01e5dd988be37d8202e97556.jpg9efa0a86bc9fe4ffd6c56e5efc0717f4.jpgf17c5fe8da18ad32eb40cf32e58c720e.jpgbacfe7f109ba52ce9bdce41729a5189e.jpg