Garage pics/ideas

cstmg8

Old thread is also locked, so let's see 'em.

I'm working on dressing up the attached garage in anticipation of moving some clutter to the new shop. Part of that was to move my elevated fridge over and extend the platform to the wall so I can install the new subpanel on that part of the wall.

I need suggestions/ideas on a railing. Think industrial race/detail shop. I'll be tearing the existing railing out and capping everything to blend new and old.

a230372cee4becb32f2d699db5c52b78.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

The price of wood has almost tripled due to Aunt Rona. I was hoping to level the current 23x24' detached cinder block garage and have a 35x22 or so built next year but that probably won't happen. At least for now.

Thought about cutting the back portion out and making it like a 23x40 or so but the roof is shot to shit and the cinder block side walls are starting to bow like (---).

Other than that, I'm not doing shit to the current falling apart garage :)

Been making progress on the garage at the house we bought a year ago. New lighting, compressor, shelving, front and rear garage doors, and a 4 post lift. Organization is on my list before the end of the year. Going to try and condense storage and figure out where to put everything. I also think I have come to the conclusion that I need a shed for the lawn care stuff.

Garage-Start.jpg

4-post-lift.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

While waiting for the never ending shop build, I decided to start dressing up the existing garage a bit. My goal is to move most storage to the detached garage and keep the attached garage as a clean shop for minor work and washing/detailing. Going for a sort of industrial/race shop look.

Weekend project was the entryway from garage to house. It started out very simple when we moved in: 155a33f400e63aed0ea9796d626a3fcb.jpg

The garage of course filled up very quickly as I moved all of my tools and equipment in. The refrigerator started in front but wasn't convenient at all:afebda4118d9666d18d3838d3ae1356c.jpg

I put together a temporary platform to raise the refrigerator and gain floorspace. I thought it would make the fridge more convenient, and we rarely use the freezer..... Wife hated it. Best pic I had:

b0c861105a2e7688ae1aa649c43ffef0.jpg

I decided to push it back against the wall and raise the deck to eliminate the step from the house and bring the fridge to a better height. I can now put the trashcan under it saving valuable floor space. I'm going to cover the rest of the exposed old wood and disassemble the panel to stain everything black then reassemble.

44177f53aff96884bac4d6cfaa9709ec.jpg

A lot of BS about a refrigerator and entryway, lol. Can't wait to get started on actual garage items.

I need suggestions/ideas on a railing. Think industrial race/detail shop. I'll be tearing the existing railing out and capping everything to blend new and old.

We ripped out the railing on the steps going to our bedroom as par of a major flooring project. We are planning to do cable railing, but most of the options feel too expensive for a garage IMHO. But if it's something you like and are OK with the cost, I think it would fit the motiff.

Just a few quick google searches I found, I can't find the one I was previous looking at. I'm sure there are dozens of these companies that sell DIY cable hand railing systems.

https://www.cablebullet.com/

https://stainlesscablerailing.com/

Edit: Saw that you already installed something, nevermind! :)

a230372cee4becb32f2d699db5c52b78.jpg

My dad has a beer fridge in his garage at floor level right by the interior door and steps like that. But with the way my mom has to park her car in there, there's not enough room to walk directly to it. So you have to walk all of the way around her car. He really needs to do this same thing.

Do you get into your basement through the garage? :confused:
Yessir. That was a big perk for me in this house. There's a normal stairway in the house that leads to the finished half of the basement, and a stairway from the garage that leads into the unfinished side of the basement.

I set up a bit of a workshop/hobby shop in that side and it is great to take materials straight from the garage to the basement.

great progress for sure. whats the plan for both spaces?
Hoping to put a good size loft in the detached shop for storage. I build/repair elevators for a living, so I might try to put something very simple together to facilitate better storage access. The other half, and purpose of the new build is a shop with a lift. I'm framing a flush mount scissor lift into the floor, but I've decided on a two post as well, so I guess two lifts, lol. I'll move everything out there like my big compressor, welders, large tool boxes, automotive tools/equipment etc.

What's left will be parking, storage and man cave/bar. The building is only 32x32, so the loft storage is critical and may be half the building (16x32).

Attached is roughly 25x30 and will be daily parking, clean automotive work, detailing etc, and hangout area as I'm leaving the 75" TV in there.

I like seeing what people are doing with garage space. Cool updates.

From a guy that's had to sometimes back the wifey's van out to open the garage freezer, I approve of what you did. Clever way of keeping it right by the entrance to the house yet not in the way of vehicles.

Looks good. I have a project for 2021.

I am repurposing an existing outbuilding to a party barn/garage this year, however with the pricing of materials this some parts might be pushed out a little.

The existing building is a 30x40x18(has a loft also) with a scissor truss pole barn. I used to house my cattle and tractors in it and my last steer is off to the butcher next week. The new plan includes concrete poured(stained), insultation/heating and a overhead door to house my finished projects in. This would free up space in my existing shop to finish some open projects(Chevelle/Camaro) and paint work for future projects. Pictures will come.