RV roof repair

zeitgeist57

I know I’m making this site ColumbusRVRepairAndRacing.com... :)

Curious of the CR recommendations for RV servicing shops or guys out there. My 1975 Roadking we bought had a leak, and while I initially was YouTubing fixes I’m quickly realizing this job may be best done by professionals. Or at least, get a quote.

Will be taking it to RCD RV first. They’ll need a couple days and $195 for an estimate. Anywhere else you guys recommend?

Share pics , same material house flat rubber roofs use

Might be the same UV-treated material, but it's not the cost of the material I'm concerned with: it's getting the job done right the first time.

Also, the P.O. told me that I shouldn't be on the roof??? That's gonna seriously infringe my ability to DIY new rubber roofing as I'd need a few more bodies and some healthy ladders to do this from the side.

FYI, RCD RV appointment set last week, for January 29th. Ramey's RV Repair down south is February 12th...just for estimates!!!

Ramey's receptionist was very nice, warned me a similar-sized RV roof replacement recently quoted was $5200. :eek: I guess it's like everything mechanical: you get out of it what you put into it, and selling something well-worn is just trading one set of problems for another...

I don’t think those roofs were made to hold weight like a person.

Correct...I cut away some of the interior paneling and it looks like 2x2" or 2x3"....I wouldn't stand on that roof.

FYI, RCD RV appointment set last week, for January 29th. Ramey's RV Repair down south is February 12th...just for estimates!!!

Ramey's receptionist was very nice, warned me a similar-sized RV roof replacement recently quoted was $5200. :eek: I guess it's like everything mechanical: you get out of it what you put into it, and selling something well-worn is just trading one set of problems for another...

All the stuff you have done yourself I'm sure you could do 99% as good a job for less monies.

My parents had an ice covered tree limb go through the membrane layer of their 32' travel trailer a few years back. From what I remember it was like a 4" hole.

Insurance covered the repair, and replacing the full membrane was the solution, so all of the roof-mounted stuff like A/C, vents, antenna, etc. all had to come off, new membrane front to rear glued down, caulked, etc., then all that shat was re-installed and caulked around. I don't know what the bill to insurance was, but from memory I think that's what a "fix it right" roof repair effort entails.

I will say that I spend a lot of time on membrane roofs of buildings for work, and those are patched/re-sealed pretty frequently and typically only fail when somebody tears a whole on them via foot traffic, dropping tools or equipment, etc. Now buildings aren't going 70mph down the freeway, but food for thought.

When I had my dads RV RCD was going to take forever to quote and were a pain to even talk to. I gave up trying to use them.

I'm sure it's not cheap, and given that they sell a lot I'm sure half the battle will be trying to get me into a newer RV as well.

$195 just for the estimate is reasonable, but if anything I want an itemized breakdown of what work needs to be done. Maybe I can do some of the interior work and let them do the roofing.

im not ecstatic about my repair job but were definitely happy with the results..im prepared to get shamed but this is my reno of our 1997 popup

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rhTjarsZemT4M1xT7

Thanks for the pics! Increasingly, it looks like I'm going to have to handle at least part of this project (looking at removing interior roof panels and repairing bad wood first, then figuring out the roof membrane).