Heating recommendations for an attached 2 car garage

jerrodh

What are everyone's recommendations for heating an attached 2 car garage. I was thinking about just getting a propane tube heater but honestly would prefer not to mess with the propane tank now that I am thinking about it.

Any electric options people that recommend? Or tube/propane the way to go?

Cheaper the better and ease of use.

Just trying to find an affordable/easy setup to make working in the garage a little more manageable.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give a little more info about what's available gas/electric wise?

Torpedo with diesel fume additive would be easiest, but a permanent install would be most convenient operation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Since its attached and insulated or you can insulate it then how hard would it be to add a duct to get heat out there from the main system?

Also whether its insulated or not a torpedo heater will heat that sucker up easily and then it comes down to how often your gonna be out there to determine if thats good enough. The only downside to torpedo heaters is that they are very powerful and heat comes out a good distance so make sure you have room for it or get a small one. Idk maybe I only ever had really good ones or something but thats been my experience with them.

Wood burning stoves are a no-no most places, but easily the best heat I've ever felt working on cars.

Torpedo heaters work, but work too well. I fucking hate mine. It goes from freezer to oven and it has to be babysat constantly.

My long term solution will be a mini-split AC system that does heat. Theres a dude in our neighborhood who installs them. That way, I can just set a temperature and leave it. Its 2020, not 1985.

Wood burning stoves are a no-no most places, but easily the best heat I've ever felt working on cars.

Torpedo heaters work, but work too well. I fucking hate mine. It goes from freezer to oven and it has to be babysat constantly.

My long term solution will be a mini-split AC system that does heat. Theres a dude in our neighborhood who installs them. That way, I can just set a temperature and leave it. Its 2020, not 1985.

Get a plug in thermostat for your torpedo. Makes all the difference.

Mini splits are decent but when it real cold they don’t work that well as they are just a heat pump, but they can do both heat and ac.

I love my woodburner but it was here when we bought the house. I’d love to find another for the basement.

Edited by gillbot

Get a plug in thermostat for your torpedo. Makes all the difference.

I honestly had no idea this was a thing. My torpedo is propane though, so idk how thats gonna work with the igniter that's in it. Still, I will dig further in to this.

I honestly had no idea this was a thing. My torpedo is propane though, so idk how thats gonna work with the igniter that's in it. Still, I will dig further in to this.

I had a "Mind Blown" experience when I saw that item as well. I've only ever old used rental units my dad picked up and I remember how much we had to turn them on/off, luckly dad had us two boys to use as remotes:-)

I have a small one also. I'll have to see if it has an electronic valve to kill the propane. The ignitor runs continuously during operation.

I'll just unplug it while running and plug it back in. (Briefly, lol)

Wood burning stoves are a no-no most places...

Where are they a "no-no"?

Mini-split FTMFW but not always cheap. I was gonna recommend that given my line of work but I re-read the OP and thought otherwise.

In my attached 2 car I picked up a unit similar to this:

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/heaters/gas-garage-heaters/mr-heater-reg-big-maxx-dual-fuel-forced-air-garage-heater/f260550/p-1444441200665.htm

Wall thermostat, separate breaker for the furnace so I can turn it on when needed, off when I don't want to heat the garage constantly.

So I use one of these small 240v heaters from Rural king for $69 bucks. (https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/42074) I put it above my air compressor on an outlet so I can switch between the 2. I rarely use the compressor anymore so it works fine for me. I have a attached block wall 2 car and when its above 40* Ill turn that heater on an hour or 2 before I want to work and it does a mediocre job of warming up the garage.

When its real cold Ill use the kerosene torpedo heater to get the garage warmed up then Ill just use the electric heater to maintain.

This is a cheap bandaid solution. I dont want to invest a lot much money as eventually Id like to build onto my detached garage and have a real shop.

Example909eed1253c2b4c9ce6feb4ceb2cf486.jpg

I feel stupid for not knowing this was a thing. Thanks!

I run a DuraHeat 200k btu propane heater in my 30x40 pole barn and it's the cat's ass. I have it tied into my main 500gal propane tank so I don't have to constantly refill smaller tanks or worry about them freezing up; highly recommend this. I also prefer that its a convection heater and not blowing hot air all over the place like a torpedo does. However, it cannot be thermostatically controlled, but it can be regulated pretty easily.

So I use one of these small 240v heaters from Rural king for $69 bucks. (https://www.ruralking.com/catalog/product/view/id/42074)

Dad has 4 of these (or maybe slightly larger ones) in the pole barn where we rebuilt the '52. Since the roof is angled (the other side of the pole barn is larger) we installed two fans on the high side to push the heated air back down.

These heaters actually work great and save your floor space. Maybe try one or two of these. Can set them on a thermostat or do like he does and go turn them on for a bit before heading out.

If we go into the pole barn cold we'll turn them and the fans on but use the torpedo to help get up to temp then the 4 heaters maintain. It's usually about 68-72 even on the coldest days.

One other thought, just from yesterday's experience. It wasn't too cold, but in a the new garage (24x30 w/no ceiling - just uninsulated rafters), I was using a single 15K BTU tank top propane tank heater and it did (eventually) warm up inside. Tank life has been decent (at least 3 full days - 9 am to 4 pm) and still a little left in the 20# tank. Found this rating on run time:

20-pound tank run time is 48-hours at 9K-BTUs, 33-hours at 13K BTUs and 28-hours at 15K-BTUs

Quiet, very warm if aimed at you. May look into a 30K BTU "double header" to use out there when needed as it's only occasional use.

I just bought this, my breaker panel is in the garage, so adding a 220v outlet will be pretty simple and then just have to run wiring up to the unit. Figured for $80 its pretty cheap and easy and will easily handle my 2 car garage, not trying to get it up to 80* when its 15* outside, just would like to have it be 50* or so while so i can work on cars not in a full winter coat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F1SWH8/

^^^ thats what I did. Mine isnt even insulated and it can get pretty toasty. Sure its a bit cold on the concrete especially near the overhead door, but its very manageable to heat quickly and easily. If its 20-30 out itll get up to 80 (on the unit) but if its in the single digits its hard to get it up to 65. Still comfortable enough to work, or throw darts, ect.