2003 Chevy Avalanche Steering

smokin5s

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.. my Avalanche, the steering feels loose. We're talking there is about 1/8 steering wheel turn before it grips. I've replaced upper and lower intermediate shafts, outer tie rods, steering box and pitman arm, idler arm and power steering pump. I can get under the truck and turn the front wheels from side to side by holding the tire but not up and down. I look at the inner tie rods and they are holding together and it looks like the pitman arm moves when I move the actual truck wheel which makes me think the tie rods are good. (although they could use a little bit of grease). The pitman arm seems to have a TINY amount of play in it but it's not very bad. All of my steering parts are under 1k miles at this point. I know the steering box can be adjusted a little but not totally sure if I should be messing with that and if so how much do I turn at a time when adjusting. Any ideas on what could be making this steering such a huge pain in the royal ass?

No idea on avalanches or this vintage of gm truck, but rag joint maybe? It's the universal joint between the column and the box, usually a foot or two out from the firewall. Replaced my grandpa's on an 88 chevy he used to have and it was WAY bad when I did.

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.. my Avalanche, the steering feels loose. We're talking there is about 1/8 steering wheel turn before it grips. I've replaced upper and lower intermediate shafts, outer tie rods, steering box and pitman arm, idler arm and power steering pump. I can get under the truck and turn the front wheels from side to side by holding the tire but not up and down. I look at the inner tie rods and they are holding together and it looks like the pitman arm moves when I move the actual truck wheel which makes me think the tie rods are good. (although they could use a little bit of grease). The pitman arm seems to have a TINY amount of play in it but it's not very bad. All of my steering parts are under 1k miles at this point. I know the steering box can be adjusted a little but not totally sure if I should be messing with that and if so how much do I turn at a time when adjusting. Any ideas on what could be making this steering such a huge pain in the royal ass?

Sounds just like an intermediate shaft issue. I would have a helper move the wheel, feel ujoints and other connections on the shaft or visually observe them

You can check the steering box for play, but adjusting them is a little tricky. Also you can put a prybar on the sway bar and push up on the box where the pitman arm is and check for play there on both the arm and box shaft.

No idea on avalanches or this vintage of gm truck, but rag joint maybe? It's the universal joint between the column and the box, usually a foot or two out from the firewall. Replaced my grandpa's on an 88 chevy he used to have and it was WAY bad when I did.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the intermediate shafts and I replaced the upper and lower

Sounds just like an intermediate shaft issue. I would have a helper move the wheel, feel ujoints and other connections on the shaft or visually observe them

You can check the steering box for play, but adjusting them is a little tricky. Also you can put a prybar on the sway bar and push up on the box where the pitman arm is and check for play there on both the arm and box shaft.

I replaced both of the intermediate shafts and checked for play.. there is no play. I will try the pry bar. I figured the steering box can be finaky if I want to adjust it, It's really the only thing I can think of that's left at this point.